Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

train set for my father

Options
  • 12-12-2010 4:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

I think my father dropped a hint that he'd like a train set.
    can anyone recommend a nicely detailed train set. not big set but just a nicely detailed locomotive set for around the 120 to 150 euro mark?
    perhaps online as I'd guess they're cheaper there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ehattons.com

or

railsofsheffiled.co.uk

are two big online stores in the UK, themodelshop.ie, marksmodels.ie or modelshopbelfast.co.uk are good Irish ones, though Marks is always a bit more expensive IMO.

150 may not get you as far as you think so choose carefully. A few main points are size: 1:76 scale or 00 is the most popular and easily available and has plenty of Irish stuff too. N or 1:148 is half the size. I'd go with the 00, unless space is very tigh. the second is do you want digital (DCC) or analogue control. analogue means you can only run one train on a track at at time, digital means you can run several, all off a little hand held terminal. you can upgrade later to digital if interest, but have a google of the terms just to be clear.

I would suggest this set if you can get one, Irish Commuter train from Bachmann with a loop of track and controller: http://www.themodelshop.ie/30-051pd.html

track packs can be added to expand on the initial layout pretty easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

Thanks, can you recommend anything of 1940's vintage for my father. The sort of train he might have wanted when he was a kid.
    I know I won't find anything in Irish Livery but that kid of train set that was running to the West of Ireland during the 1940s.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

a look at the sets on the mentioned sites will help, there are plenty of steam loco sets, though no Irish. You will find a few Irish and very close to Irish looking steam engines available, usually not part of a set however.

something like this: http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=17927

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

thanks, bought that train set of ehattons.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Eleganza wrote: »
    thanks, bought that train set of ehattons.com

Tell us how he likes it and if he takes it further.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement