Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, I had to travel to 7 or 8 different traders in diferent towns to sell all the potions I made last night, made about 7k

Iv noticed stealing in shops is a little more Lenient, some of the Alchemy shops you can just take loads of ingredients and even a few potions and they don't appear as 'Steal' or 'Stolen' (nor repercussions for taking them)

No more country wide man hunt for stealing a spoon anymore :D

same in houses too.. a wooden plate is off limits, but that 23 gold? why sure dragonborn, you just take it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

yeah, I had to travel to 7 or 8 different traders in diferent towns to sell all the potions I made last night, made about 7k

Roughly how many ingredients did you have to make that much money? I have loads stored but might just start using them as I need more money to buy more ingots to craft more daggers to bring my Smithy skill up some more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Why is it that sometimes enemys will appear as red dots on my compass at the top of the HUD and other times i can be right up behind one about to backstab him and i get no red dot? I dont knot how many times i thought something was friendly only to find out the hard way that they aren't.

you can get a spell that shows where enemies/friendlies are.. you cast it and a red mist appears around enemies for a second and blue around friendly.

Spell is called detect life and is very useful!!

anybody elses clairvoyance spell not work? it did but now its broken. nothing happens.

I've only tried it once with a personal marker to follow.. dont think I was on a path thou so perhaps thats why! must try it again but I like trying to figure out which way to go and if I go the wrong way, it never matters.. its always an adventure!
    Spunge wrote: »
    Yeah i've been trying out alchemy too, but not really made much off it so far. Do you eat every ingredient you find, and do you just randomly start mixing stuff together to find new effects ?

I definitely wont be putting any perk points into it, but if i can make money out of it and get loads of healing potions im all for it.

I rarely eat ingredients.. just mix them and see what comes out.. I've made some crazy potions that are worth loads but I never realise how much they worth until I go to sell them!! Have to figure out and remember how to make expensive potions coz you'll make a mint from them!

Iv noticed stealing in shops is a little more Lenient, some of the Alchemy shops you can just take loads of ingredients and even a few potions and they don't appear as 'Steal' or 'Stolen' (nor repercussions for taking them)

No more country wide man hunt for stealing a spoon anymore :D

alot of shops allow you to take things, food/ingredients after you've done something for them.. Pity you cant sell any stolen goods.. dont really want to have to get my speech up to 90 I think it is be able to sell them..

they are ust sitting in my house now doing nothing.. thought I could make some serious money from them..
    Roughly how many ingredients did you have to make that much money? I have loads stored but might just start using them as I need more money to buy more ingots to craft more daggers to bring my Smithy skill up some more :D

I take/steal/harvest everything I can get away with.. never leave any ingredient/mushroom behind coz they are so light and you make a mint with them selling potions..

I've started hoarding just ingredients in a chest in my house now for a huge alchemy binge.. selling them will be the problem but sure you can just fast travel to different towns to sell them if you really want!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Dcully wrote: »
    Interesting build, i started a new character the other day after a dodgy race choice initially.
    I went with a high elf for the extra mana regen.
    So far ive only a few points in destruction and restoration, not sure what else to go with.
    Loving the fire bolts and the resulting rag doll physics on dead mobs :D
    What other specialization would compliment destruction and restoration ?
    I suppose it depends on how you want to play.

Conjuration will work for a ranged spell spammer or for a battle mage with bound weapons.

Alteration will mainly work best for clothies.

Illusion has nice CC.

Enchanting is useful for pretty much all mage builds as Light/Heavy armour you pick up generally has melee based enchants and cloth generally hasn't any.

That's only looking at the pure mage end of things, if you are going for a sneaky mage or spell sword, you end up with even more option.

I have a storage chest in my house dedicated to ingredients, every time I come back from a qwuest or a stroll I dump all of them in there. so.. I had alot :)

Interesting build, i started a new character the other day after a dodgy race choice initially.
    I went with a high elf for the extra mana regen.
    So far ive only a few points in destruction and restoration, not sure what else to go with.
    Loving the fire bolts and the resulting rag doll physics on dead mobs :D
    What other specialization would compliment destruction and restoration ?

I'm the same! went with an altmer as I want to do the whole mage thing but I havnt bought that many spells yet..

Destruction is obviously crucial as you suggested but My next port of call is conjuration!!

Nothing better than summoning a flame atronach to fight for you.. Or after you kill a tough enough bandit, reanimate him and he fights for you!! very helps out alot!!

I even reanimating a snow bear when fighting a dragon, took the attention off me and I destroyed that dragon easily!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nodferatu wrote: »
    i went to whiterun today to sell a load of loot proceeded to beletors general goods store and when i entered accidentally hit the shout button releasing unrelenting force, everything on the counter flew off aswell as beletor himself staggering back and he shouted out to the guards. queue 4 or 5 whiterun guards entering and demanding i pay or go to jail, i said id rather die than than go to jail, i ended up slaughtering them all robbed everything in sight and left with bounty of 3100 on my head. though i did end up reloading a save due to every whiterun guard gunning for me, t'was funny

haha awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

I want this game so much. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I have a storage chest in my house dedicated to ingredients, every time I come back from a qwuest or a stroll I dump all of them in there. so.. I had alot :)

Snap!

Same for Food....

Everyone and then, I take them all out, when a bunch has built up, and mix all the potions I can, and throw the left over ingredients back in the chest.

Must do a load of cooking now, I have tonnes of food in that cupboard now, need loads of salt piles though, seems to be needed for most dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Snap!

Same for Food....

Everyone and then, I take them all out, when a bunch has built up, and mix all the potions I can, and throw the left over ingredients back in the chest.

Must do a load of cooking now, I have tonnes of food in that cupboard now, need loads of salt piles though, seems to be needed for most dishes.
    Well now you can hardly cook without salt can you :pac:

Snap!

Same for Food....

yea you practically need slat for every dish.. makes sense I suppose!

I'm the with my house.. A chest for weapons, one for armor, one for ingredients etc etc.. book shelf is really cool as well!!

The whole food thing thou I feel is not great.. I made a few stews etc and rarely use them so dont bother picking up food anymore and if I do its just to eat on the spot!

Well now you can hardly cook without salt can you :pac:
    hypermuse wrote: »
    yea you practically need slat for every dish.. makes sense I suppose!

Too much salt in our diets, even in game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pffh, spells schmells. Ain't not use for spells when you're full of arrows & look like a porcupine

Continuing on from my character in Oblivion, I am the archer supreme, whilst also sneaky & nimble. Closest thing to being a damn camper you'll be in this game!

Too much salt in our diets, even in game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

i rarely use salt IRL..

my poor elf has high blood pressure from eating all that salt now..

and the caggabe.. don't get me started on the consequences of the poor chap eating cabbage

pixelburp wrote: »
    Pffh, spells schmells. Ain't not use for spells when you're full of arrows & look like a porcupine

Continuing on from my character in Oblivion, I am the archer supreme, whilst also sneaky & nimble. Closest thing to being a damn camper you'll be in this game!

I've been going all magical (and one handed incase things get hairy but I've no armor so I can die easy) and it great fun!

I've somehow also managed to increase my sneak ability really high coz I picked up a bow at one stage and they are awesome!!

My next character is gonna be a sneaky archer for defo!!

I thought my Nord was gonna die when I took all the ingredients from the chest and ate one of each from the menu, when I closed the inventory, he groaned and shook and had blurred vision for a while.

I thought I had poisoned him to death learning the benefits of each ingredient.

I thought my Nord was gonna die when I took all the ingredients from the chest and ate one of each from the menu, when I closed the inventory, he groaned and shook and had blurred vision for a while.

I thought I had poisoned him to death learning the benefits of each ingredient.

I dont eat them coz you just dont know what your gonna get.. You'll figure it out if you just keep mixing them!
    I'm sure eating glowing mushrooms cant be good for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Arrows, arrows are useless when a mage is strafing and a frost atrianoch is tanking like a boss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

hypermuse wrote: »
    I'm the same! went with an altmer as I want to do the whole mage thing but I havnt bought that many spells yet..

Destruction is obviously crucial as you suggested but My next port of call is conjuration!!

Nothing better than summoning a flame atronach to fight for you.. Or after you kill a tough enough bandit, reanimate him and he fights for you!! very helps out alot!!

I even reanimating a snow bear when fighting a dragon, took the attention off me and I destroyed that dragon easily!!

Sounds like a plan :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Arrows, arrows are useless when a mage is strafing and a frost atrianoch is tanking like a boss.
    Firing an arrow while crouched and unseen gives you bonus damage, which scales upwards as you level up. So those mages have been going down in one shot for me ;)

I dont think your doing it right.. Archery and stealth go hand in hand in this game

pixelburp wrote: »
    Firing an arrow while crouched and unseen gives you bonus damage, which scales upwards as you level up. So those mages have been going down in one shot for me ;)

^^^He's doing it right!!^^^ :D

omg
    I finally have the merchant perk

sweet jesus no more traipsing all around the map to sell my ill gotten goods

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

I think I have made a mistake in my original race choice (Redguard) but I'm going to plough on regardless as I don't wanna start from scratch again.

I have him doing a combination of destruction/restoration/conjuration (mostly destruction) on one hand and a sword/mace in the other. I think I'm afraid to concentrate to much in a specific area in case I miss out on something!!

Still only have one shout because I keep getting distracted on the way to the Greybeards, but I'm level 13 at the moment.

Wasn't really into conjuration until recently after reading about all the reanimating on here.

I find hide bracers a pretty handy to make to up smithing. I think they require 2 strips and one piece of leather and you level up after you make about four of them. My task this evening is to go hunting for as many hides as I can carry to get my smithing level high.

Sounds like a plan :)

Its brilliant.. I really love it but its tricky to level up.. its taking me a long while to level up significantly..

I want to get to the ned target of being able to summon 2 strong creatures at once and let them do the fighting for me!

You can only have one summoned at a time but it makes a big difference to a battle..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You can have 2 once you get your Conjuration up high enough.

civilnug wrote: »
    I think I have made a mistake in my original race choice (Redguard) but I'm going to plough on regardless as I don't wanna start from scratch again.

I have him doing a combination of destruction/restoration/conjuration (mostly destruction) on one hand and a sword/mace in the other. I think I'm afraid to concentrate to much in a specific area in case I miss out on something!!

Still only have one shout because I keep getting distracted on the way to the Greybeards, but I'm level 13 at the moment.

Wasn't really into conjuration until recently after reading about all the reanimating on here.

I find hide bracers a pretty handy to make to up smithing. I think they require 2 strips and one piece of leather and you level up after you make about four of them. My task this evening is to go hunting for as many hides as I can carry to get my smithing level high.

I'm practically doing the same (but with a high elf for faster magic regen) but use my sword rarely unless it gets a little to close for comfort and I'm all outa the blue stuff!!

not that bothered with the smithing thou..
    Kiith wrote: »
    You can have 2 once you get your Conjuration up high enough.

yea I'm just finding it really slow to level up my conjuration skills.. maybe I should just randomly summon these creatures.. see if that speeds things up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

oh ffs it forces installation via steam! I wanted to put it on my ssd. However apparently this is not an option, since my ssd is 120GB and my steam folder is over 220 before installing skyrim.

So I pay fifty euro for a crippled version of the game, when I could download a pirate version that I could install wherever I like.

Great thinking there by Bethesda.

edit: symbolic linking might work around it. Search "mklink" if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Kadongy wrote: »
    oh ffs it forces installation via steam! I wanted to put it on my ssd. However apparently this is not an option, since my ssd is 120GB and my steam folder is over 220 before installing skyrim.

So I pay fifty euro for a crippled version of the game, when I could download a pirate version that I could install wherever I like.

Great thinking there by Bethesda.

Junctioning allows you to have it installed on your SSD and on the HDD.

Here you go

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/262456-14-guide-transfer-steam-games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W8tZs1OzCk

Advertisement