Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Did anyone else think that the voice of the blacksmith in the village and the guy up in the old dragon temple sounded really like one of the Oblivion voices? I really hope they've expanded their voice actors a bit this time...

I didn't really bother me in Oblivion but with everything else improved so much for Skyrim it'd be a shame to be reminded of the limited Oblivion style voices every time you get into a conversation

They've promised to a wider and more diverse range of voice actors. They got the same flak for Fallout as well so they took it on board for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

This is the first game I have been excited about in a long time. The combat looks a small bit ropey to me, but that didn't spoil my enjoyment of Oblivion. One thing that I kinda hope is still an option is to have the text dialouge come up on screen, I liked reading that. Load times look decent for a game of that detail, and they seem to have really had a go at updating it a bit.

Take my money now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Looks amazing! I really hope they fix the levelling/loot system.

I want to know that somewhere way up some mountain theres a treasure thats reallly powerful but if i try and go for it the enemies will be too powerful for my level.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dcully wrote: »
    somebody said they were not legit on this thread? so i get a cd key..how do i install it?! it's even cheaper than amazon. although you dont get a hardcopy etc.
    I'm going to buy retail so I can get the map. I'm old school that way :)

Besides, will the game be using SteamWorks?

memories of the morrowind map, would love one, but no cd drive, c'est la vie :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

somebody said they were not legit on this thread? so i get a cd key..how do i install it?! it's even cheaper than amazon. although you dont get a hardcopy etc.

Whoever said they are not legit are telling porkies, ive used them for years.
    You get a steam code or Origin code and simply redeem the code and download your game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

would love to buy a steam key off them for 30 as then i could ahve skyrim on my steam account everywhere. thanks for the info btw!

http://www.g2play.net/store/The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Retail-CD-Key-Pre-order.html

says no steam hmm

how would i play the game with the key? where is the installer :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I lost my Morrowind map long ago. :(

Reminds me, wasnt the Morrowind retail case actually pretty awesome now that I think of it?

If you buy the game via retail you still dont need a CD drive to install it if you can register the game to Steam.

EDIT: The audience in that video ruin it. Bunch of tools. The caves look far more detailed and unique in Skyrim as compared to some of the bland environments we saw in Oblivion.

I lost my Morrowind map long ago. :(

Reminds me, wasnt the Morrowind retail case actually pretty awesome now that I think of it?

If you buy the game via retail you still dont need a CD drive to install it if you can register the game to Steam.

EDIT: The audience in that video ruin it. Bunch of tools. The caves look far more detailed and unique in Skyrim as compared to some of the bland environments we saw in Oblivion.
    so it is one of the games which cd keys work on steam? i thought people didnt know yet

that means the g2play cd key would work for 30e

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

so it is one of the games which cd keys work on steam? i thought people didnt know yet

that means the g2play cd key would work for 30e

Sorry, should have emphasised the "if" more - it has not been announced for certain that the game will use SteamWorks yet so I am not entirely certain either. All the same I imagine that it will be.

whoops i missed the if, more capitals will help me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

jaysus, they're only €20, just buy a DVD drive!

I'm just holding on for them to announce Steamworks support. It's SO handy. I've bought a few games retail that don't even requires putting the DVD in the drive. And then once it's activated through steam I don't need the box again.

My oh my . . . how the series has evolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

wow i havent seen any of them top pictures, graphics look incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Wow, the Elves and the Argonian looks so badass in Skyrim. It's cool to see those pictures together. Cause I thought Oblivion looked good when I played it but the difference there is huge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

happy_dance.jpg

can't wait!, can't wait!, can't wait!, can't wait!, can't wait!, can't wait!,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Big difference between oblivion graphics and skyrims :D amazing what a few yr will do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Big difference between oblivion graphics and skyrims :D amazing what a few yr will do

Ah well in fairness all the oblivion shots are closeups with dull clothes and backgrounds. Of course you can't exactly get the exact skyrim screenshots that you want. I remember being highly impressed with the graphics in both at the time. hopefully we'll be saying the same again!
    The Argonians are looking very cool this time.
    They look amazing,maybe its time for a new graphics card,will skyrim support dx11?

They said they'd "support" it - i.e., they'll throw in a few effects but not build it with that in mind.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Khajiit Assassin it is so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I just hope they allow character creation/customisation to be done in a light neutral setting. Was annoying having to customise a character in a grim, dark, lightless cell and then have it look different in the 80% of the game that took place in daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Anyone else think it looks a little scripted? Like it seemed as if where you could go was dictated by the roads. Especially when he was going up the mountain in the snow, it didn't even look like it was possible to get off the road.
    Maybe it's just the nature of the mountainy region

It's totally free roam.

There is nothing more jarring than getting stuck on a rock while trying to demo a game. He just wanted to stay on the road for "safety" and the cinematic feel. The same way he walked and looked around fluidly and slowly.

It's an early build aswell. You will notice he was very, very wary of jumping in the water when the crowd were calling for it because he probably didn't know how it would look and what would happen. When he did, he jumped right out and never looked down. The scope of this "demo" was scaled back a bit and he was probably worried about embarrassing the team if he jumped in and fell through the world. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Have any specs been released for this yet? I've already written off Battlefield 3 as a game I could play on my rig, but I'd be really disappointed if I can't run Skyrim!

pixelburp wrote: »
    Have any specs been released for this yet? I've already written off Battlefield 3 as a game I could play on my rig, but I'd be really disappointed if I can't run Skyrim!

Not that I am aware of, what are your specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

I'm so so excited I'm fairly certain I'm going to explode!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

those elves remind me much more of morrowind than oblivion....which is a good thing, btw mods for this game are going to be unbelievably great :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How random do ye think the A.I will be?I hope its not scripted

How random do ye think the A.I will be?I hope its not scripted

Well we have heard all about how the NPC's will go about their daily tasks and all the rest but then again Bethesda had to climb down from their ambitious AI targets when Oblivion was released.

I just hope Bethesda have achieved what they set out to achieve with Oblivion but had to abandon due to limitations at the time.

Well we have heard all about how the NPC's will go about their daily tasks and all the rest but then again Bethesda had to climb down from their ambitious AI targets when Oblivion was released.

I just hope Bethesda have achieved what they set out to achieve with Oblivion but had to abandon due to limitations at the time.

They also said dragons weren't scripted and that they could attack villages?did I imagine reading that somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

NPC's have had scripted daily tasks for years. Majora's mask had dozens of NPC's doing it and that was over a decade ago.

Talk is cheap. We won't see anything amazing or revolutionary with the A.I. They are trying to big up their game which is fine, but combat A.I. is much more important than random NPC's standing around.....so i hope they get that better than in oblivion and fallout.

Advertisement