Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Enderman wrote: »
    Game is graphically stunning at times. My PC only runs it on 2 cores though. Still maxes out the game, so I don't know whats up there.
    It's probably only optimized for 2 threads. That or depending on your processor it's enabled Hyperthreading, which shuts down backend cores to automatically do a stable overclock of frontend cores.
    calex71 wrote: »
    Not a huge deal I guess but I really hate being locked out of something cool because the stupid game lets you go anywhere from the outset almost and as suck pick up anything you find there. It also allows you to get rid of something that may be useful later and give no indication at all that it might be useful.

Spoiler ??? not to plot or quests but I'll spoiler any way, it refers to items you should hold onto .
    When you fight the Krosis he has a mask that give you can wear like a helmet etc and seemed to be just another magic piece of apparel
    I found 2 or 3 more of them from various enemies and sold them all bar one as they were magic related so of no use to me.

Later I discovered accidentally while exploring a place to put them :mad:
    In fairness, anything to do with Dragons or anything around dragons
    (Or something that comes from an enemy that pops out of a casket next to a Wall of Words and shoots fireballs of OMGWTFBBQ at you)
    I do tend to hold on to those things especially. That and the item you're referring to is especially handy as a situational piece of equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Everytime i hear a flapping or whooshing noise i look to the sky in fear! Love the emotion this game brings out on the player, the music is also amazing, GOTY!

There is definitely a night and day improvement on music. Oblivion and Morrowing both had a horrible problem in that the music would instantly and noticeably cut out and switch to a combat tune if anything - anything - chose to engage you. Be it a highway robber or a mudcrab. But now I feel like I can actually enjoy myself without having my ears raped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It has the Morrowind feel. I actually want to go out and see what's over the next hill. The world feels alive in some sense. With Oblivion it was always a chore going anywhere, I was usually disappointed when I got there, and it was the least immersive thing I've ever tried to play. I'm glad someone on the Skyrim team put in a book on the specifics of Oblivion's main plot. It sounds awfully dull, I'd hate to have slogged my way through that.

did you notice some of Morrowinds music made its way in there? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I did. I could have cried tears of joy if I wasn't still shouting "BOOSH!" every time I used Unrelenting Force.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

After completing the Dark Brotherhood quest line, all the other quests suddenly seem so trivial in comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Oblivion was too cute.

This has backbone, with an air of mystery and menace to it. I love it, and can't wait to get home and play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Anyone else missed the Guardian Stones first few minutes of the game? 70+ hours in and only found out about em' only now. -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

ShaneU wrote: »
    I've had a common glitch where if you walk past an npc who starts talking to you and then you go through a door and a loading screen, they appear in the room with you

Oh so it's a glitch? I thought some of the feckers stealin' my stuffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

I think a lot of it is the setting, Cyrodiil was tame - just lots of green forest, bordered by more forest and the odd mountain/walled city.

Skyrim on the other hand has the foggy peaks and misty marshes, the really diverse ruins (some of the Dwemer ones are crazy) and a nice variety in the towns too. The music is also absolutely brilliant, and as mentioned by overheal the way it doesn't change BAM immediately when spotted by a wolf or whatever is great!

While Ive done 30 hours already, and I feel I've been playing a bit much, its like im still on the tip of the iceberg, there's so much more waiting to happen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Notorioux wrote: »
    Anyone else missed the Guardian Stones first few minutes of the game? 70+ hours in and only found out about em' only now. -_-

yeah I thought it was only the one in the middle and just used that! popped back later to check the other two out.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I am sooooo going to shout *Boooosh* when casting Words from now on.... Lol.

DeV.

guards are funny.

"Hey stop shouting its scaring people"
    -Well you'll have to make me stop
    "Well, its not illegal, but I could put you away"
    -Whatever
    "....erm, I've got my eye on you." /backs away slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

LYDIA GET OUT OF THE ****ING WAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

whats this radiant quest stuff ive been hearing about? is it a few quests that keep popping up from different people at different intervals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Jumpy wrote: »
    LYDIA GET OUT OF THE ****ING WAY.

kill her with fire!! hated having Lydia around with me
    whats this radiant quest stuff ive been hearing about? is it a few quests that keep popping up from different people at different intervals?

pretty sure he means that the quests are actually infinite.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It's funny to see the talk about Oblivion. I played it a bit before Skyrim came out with lots of mods in it and it was very enjoyable particularly Oscuros Overhaul as it made the whole leveling of your enemies more realistic and wandering around more dangerous but one thing I notice about Skyrim is that they have used so many ideas from the mods created for Oblivion. It truly is an example of how the community has helped push them into making a better game. It's more about the little touches like lighted windows at night and so on. I'm not taking away from Bethesda in general but it's good to see. Not to say I didn't love Oblivion when it came out. I'm not jumping on the "Oblivion was ****" bandwagon just because Skyrim is so much better. Had many good times with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Was standing beside some random guard today, and he turned around and asked me in a pretty freaked out voice, "Please don't set fire to anything." :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I am now 48hrs in, level 18, fire ball your ass, sneaky dark elf.
    Got the Nightingale armor last night. It's deadly and looks fantastic.
    Did the drinking contest in the pub in Whiterun. Hilarious. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Notorioux wrote: »

was looking at trophies for some people on my friends list and none had the one for finding a stone even when they had played for a few hours at that point, even when it right at the start along that road to the first village.

Seriously people just because you don't need to use roads doesn't mean you can't.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I am now 48hrs in, level 18, fire ball your ass, sneaky dark elf.
    Got the Nightingale armor last night. It's deadly and looks fantastic.
    Did the drinking contest in the pub in Whiterun. Hilarious. :D

still havnt come across a drinking game challenge yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

hypermuse wrote: »
    still havnt come across a drinking game challenge yet!

I found it in the pub in whiterun if you're interested. there should be a mage sitting at the bar who offers you his staff if you win.

I found it in the pub in whiterun if you're interested. there should be a mage sitting at the bar who offers you his staff if you win.
    I tried cleaning up the stuff on the floor when you're wan gave out to me. As far as I'm concerned, I cleaned everything but she's still sulking, what did I miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

I tried cleaning up the stuff on the floor when you're wan gave out to me. As far as I'm concerned, I cleaned everything but she's still sulking, what did I miss?

no idea i just payed. i did try moving a potatoe but i hit X too many times and i stole it.

Cross a woman and she will be forever scorned!!
    Do something nice and its forgotten the next day!!

Thats just life my friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

no idea i just payed. i did try moving a potatoe but i hit X too many times and i stole it.

Same here, just paid it after a few mins of not been able to clean up much and explored the city and I'm off to find Sam and my staff now.

The same thing happens to me at home. I think it ads realism to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

First random dragon encounter last night. Came across one fighting a giant. Me and Lydia kept our distance and peppered the dragon with arrows. When it died Lydia kept shooting at the giant. He comes over and smacks her one, she shoots up all rag dolly into the sky. I was laughing before I remembered the b1tch was carrying most my loot! If I survived the giant I'd never find her mangled corpse - probably landed on the other side of the mountain! Was strafing and shooting at the giant for several minutes, frantically dodging his club blows, when another arrow smacked into him from behind! Lydia! Dear sweet Lydia survived and had come back to me! We took down the giant, celebrated, then I asked her for most of my more valuable loot back.

• Advertisement

The same thing happens to me at home. I think it ads realism to the game.

That's cos shoving all your durty laundry into the wardrobe/under the bed does not count as cleaning up. :D

Advertisement