Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm I've yet to come across a dragon, not even the merest suggestion of one - BUT - I haven't even begun the very first Main Quest. After the tutorial mission & escaping into the countryside, I simply wandered off and have been having my own adventures, screw the main plot: so I wonder if the random encounters only kick in after <X> number of main quests completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Wossack

anybody else done this?

so ive levelled my few main skills of destruction, 1 handed etc and now that they are decent i am thinking of switching skills completely and going through everything, being ok but not good at everything. I'd level up fast but not be too strong making the game harder right? hmmm dunno

certainly done this... everything is so cool, Ive become a bit of a skill whore :(:pac:

started out heavy armour, 1handed, and destruction - kinda heavy spellsword build
    found bows- they rock -so became my primary weapon, and probably still is
    restoration filled in for destruction in my offhand for swordplay bits
    heavy armour too, err heavy, and really sapped my stamina when I was running, so swapped to light armour (no perks in either armour) - I dont use horses
    stealth snuck in there (!), and has be come another primary

and now I've recently discovered bound weapons...
    so at the moment.. Im sort of a stealth mage archer, with conjured weapons (with quiet casting perk from illusion), backed up with twin bound swords, and resto when things get ugly

really happy that you're able to do that though - evolve your character how you want - and geez, stealth summoning a ghost bow to twock a guy in a guard tower is so epically cool :cool::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Wossack

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm I've yet to come across a dragon, not even the merest suggestion of one - BUT - I haven't even begun the very first Main Quest. After the tutorial mission & escaping into the countryside, I simply wandered off and have been having my own adventures, screw the main plot: so I wonder if the random encounters only kick in after <X> number of main quests completed?

no random dragons until you've killed one via the main q :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nodferatu wrote: »
    i went to my house in solitude and put a few bits in the chest at the end of my bed in the bedroom then proceeded to save the game, turned back on the game there and loaded last save up, I'm standing in the bedroom alight... but the bed is missing, the press/dresser behind the door is missing too and all the plates/food baskets and wine that was on it are all over the place on the floor. everything in my safe and chest is still there though. weird or what

Happened to me in my house in Whiterun. Actually thought I'd been burgled but just reloaded the save and everything was fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wossack wrote: »
    no random dragons until you've killed one via the main q :)
    Ah ok, that's what I suspected; guess I'll just keep wandering around the countryside until I'm ready to save the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Branoic wrote: »
    First random dragon encounter last night. Came across one fighting a giant. Me and Lydia kept our distance and peppered the dragon with arrows. When it died Lydia kept shooting at the giant. He comes over and smacks her one, she shoots up all rag dolly into the sky. I was laughing before I remembered the b1tch was carrying most my loot! If I survived the giant I'd never find her mangled corpse - probably landed on the other side of the mountain! Was strafing and shooting at the giant for several minutes, frantically dodging his club blows, when another arrow smacked into him from behind! Lydia! Dear sweet Lydia survived and had come back to me! We took down the giant, celebrated, then I asked her for most of my more valuable loot back.

and its stuff like his is why I love this game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

RAIN wrote: »
    Slyly got a short burst in tonight while the missus caught up on I'm a celeb. Hit level 15 and went to the throuth of the world. Afterwards decided to head back to whiterun to decorate my house...seem to have hit a glitch, the guy won't give me the option to buy anything. Looked in a few wiki's, none of the suggestions work. Another one had me restart a quest to get it work. Also had the arrow in the head glitch for a while...bit of a pain that the only big technical issues I've had have been quest related. They pull you out of the experience a bit....shame. Ah, I'm just venting, still loving it to bits.

You can only buy stuff from him when he's in the throne room. Kind of like when his business hours. Took me ages to figure that one out.
    Elessar wrote: »
    I got some dwarven armor from a merc I came across in the wild: he was heading to a job and wanted me to assist. I just killed him and took it :P

However it's only the main body and the helmet - where in skyrim is the more of a chance to get my hands on dwarven armor?

Dwarven ruins are your best bet. But they can be dangerous. An easier way is to level up smithing and get the Dwarf armour perk, so you can make them.
    Beruthiel wrote: »
    I tried cleaning up the stuff on the floor when you're wan gave out to me. As far as I'm concerned, I cleaned everything but she's still sulking, what did I miss?

Have you picked up the piece of paper with some sort of list on it (can't remember what it's a list of)? I spent ages wandering around trying to see what I missed, then noticed this. It's hard to see, but I think it was to the right of the basin in the centre of the room.

I just remembered an earlier moment I had when in the first dungeon. I had just started using the lightning spell and was pretty chuffed with it. I rescued a guy, who ran off shouting "Why should I share the treasure with you?". To which I ran after him, shooting lightning and screamed "Cause I'm a motherf*cking Jedi, bitch!" at the monitor.

From the next room I heard "Keep it down, you old nerd." :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

humanji wrote: »
    Have you picked up the piece of paper with some sort of list on it (can't remember what it's a list of)? I spent ages wandering around trying to see what I missed, then noticed this. It's hard to see, but I think it was to the right of the basin in the centre of the room.

I believe I missed the paper. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Overheal wrote: »
    did you notice some of Morrowinds music made its way in there? :cool:

Can't believe I never noticed it before but Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim all share the same reworked anthem. Morrowind's is naturally the best :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I tried cleaning up the stuff on the floor when you're wan gave out to me. As far as I'm concerned, I cleaned everything but she's still sulking, what did I miss?

I was fairly sure once you selected that quest it would point to the bits on the ground. As the drinking game starts ad hoc you may not have the quest that it causes selected. I havn't completed it yet but it gets more and more interesting finding out what you got up to. No traffic cones yet though.

I also suspect that the guy who challenges you to the drinking game appears after you finish that quest to find the redguard woman in whiterun. Can anyone conradict this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Well I just finished the Imperial Legion questline and my god was that epic.
    Culminating in a full scale army assault on Windhelm. It's me, the general and his troops. After an epic speech outside the gates of the city, we work our way through the barricaded streets, enemy everywhere, fighting for their very lives.

Once we get to Stormcloaks palace it's me and the general. We advance slowly either side of the long dining table, weapons drawn. The general giving ulfric his speech "Ulfric Stormcloak I accuse you of treason against the empire!" "we've come for your surrender" etc. all the while the epic battle music is playing. It plays like the final act of a hollywood movie. After a battle general Tullius gives me his sword to execute the kneeling rebel leader.

*rocks back and forth*

Jesus christ this game is great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd spoiler all of that if i were you. Kind of ruin the Imperial ending by posting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

They dont sound good played at the same time.

Elessar, does the term "spoilers" mean anything to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

mewso wrote: »
    I was fairly sure once you selected that quest it would point to the bits on the ground. As the drinking game starts ad hoc you may not have the quest that it causes selected. I have completed it yet but it gets more and more interesting finding out what you got up to. No traffic cones yet though.

I also suspect that the guy who challenges you to the drinking game appears after you finish that quest to find the redguard woman in whiterun. Can anyone conradict this?

For me anyway, I heard him challenge me as I went in to find the redguard women. I know this as I found her, she drew her weapon and I killed her and reloaded as I has a bounty and the side-quest popped up as failed. :pac:

Went back completed the quest and started the drinking challenge then, after a bar fight.

My favourite comment on this one.

"Theres no way she climbed the seven thousand steps to learn that"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

humanji wrote: »
    To which I ran after him, shooting lightning and screamed "Cause I'm a motherf*cking Jedi, bitch!" at the monitor.

From the next room I heard "Keep it down, you old nerd." :(

You should wear a robe and hood while doing that!! You'd look proper evil imperial emperor style with lightening flying from your hands!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Elessar wrote: »
    Well I just finished the Imperial Legion questline and my god was that epic.
    Jesus christ this game is great.

On what planet do you think it's OK to describe, scene by scene, the ending of a game without spoiler tags? You finished it. Well done. Way to go.

Have some cop on...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah ok, that's what I suspected; guess I'll just keep wandering around the countryside until I'm ready to save the world.

I purposely did the first two main quest missions. The first to
    unlock the dragons although it may take 2 quests depending on whether you did the dragon claw quest before getting to whiterun
    and the second for reasons that will become apparent after doing the first. I think it's worth having the dragons around for some epic fights and getting those shouts that really gives you some good combat options.

Mr E wrote: »
    On what planet do you think it's OK to describe, scene by scene, the ending of a game without spoiler tags? You finished it. Well done. Way to go.

Have some cop on...

I agree it should have been spoilered but it was a description of the end of a quest line not the main quest line was it not? Or is that a spoiler in istelf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I agree it should have been spoilered but it was a description of the end of a quest line not the main quest line was it not? Or is that a spoiler in istelf?

IMO the description of the final epic moments of a quest line is about as spoilerific as you can get....

Branoic wrote: »
    IMO the description of the final epic moments of a quest line is about as spoilerific as you can get....

I'm not disputing that I'm just concerned that describing it as the end of the main quest line may be a spoiler too unless it was as I suggested incorrect. Rather than mounting that high horse read what I posted perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Spent ages last night, just making Iron Daggers and Leather Braces, to up my Smithing skill so I can make something out of these dragon bones...nearly level 100, up to 80 now, it goes up surprisingly fast.

Spent 3 hours playing last night, about 30 mins of that were back and forth to the forges making stuff, flipping broke now.

Gonna do a lot of them misc quests now before getting into anything else, they just seem to be piling up now.

I'm just glad I saw these complaints before the actual comment itself!!

Think I only did one legion quest.. I remember I have to prove myself before I can join.. that was days ago.. off on other side of the world now!! I'll prove myself some other day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Sorry I got a bit carried away there, didn't think it was too spoilerish. If you're doing the questline it doesn't do it justice, don't worry you'll enjoy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just turned hte game on, decided i wasn't arsed questing and went walking around in the snow for a few minutes

discovered six locations, and another weird chamber with a lever inside it that has no map marker

great game

I purposely did the first two main quest missions. The first to
    unlock the dragons although it may take 2 quests depending on whether you did the dragon claw quest before getting to whiterun
    and the second for reasons that will become apparent after doing the first. I think it's worth having the dragons around for some epic fights and getting those shouts that really gives you some good combat options.
    Truthfully? I genuinely don't give a fig about the main quest, or for that matter, the Shouts. I'm sure they're great and all, but it feels they'd go against the general ethos of the character I'm trying to build; the master archer / assassin / thief (who does the right thing) :D

just turned hte game on, decided i wasn't arsed questing and went walking around in the snow for a few minutes

discovered six locations, and another weird chamber with a lever inside it that has no map marker

great game

Isnt it just.. You really need to have a pen and paper to record where you found a place that isnt marked on the map that you wanna return to at some stage..

I remember when I was making my way to Whiterun, full of clobber right up to 300 max weight.. and I found 2 places (the mechanical creature kind) and they weren't marked on the map so I couldn't really fast travel away or back!!

Have to try remember where it was now! Theres bout 3 places like that I wanna return to now littered in different inconspicuous places! All part of the adventure!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

loving the game but just thought of a slight issue i have with it now. I'd love if on the quest menu it had different headings for each quest line. whether its imperials, mages, main, stormcloaks etc..... instead of just piling them altogether into one list and make you guess what each one is for. i have loads built up and i have to hazard a guess at which ones are main quest lines or not.

just a small issue i have. doesnt take away from the game play in any way shape or form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

hypermuse wrote: »
    Isnt it just.. You really need to have a pen and paper to record where you found a place that isnt marked on the map that you wanna return to at some stage..

I remember when I was making my way to Whiterun, full of clobber right up to 300 max weight.. and I found 2 places (the mechanical creature kind) and they weren't marked on the map so I couldn't really fast travel away or back!!

Have to try remember where it was now! Theres bout 3 places like that I wanna return to now littered in different inconspicuous places! All part of the adventure!

surely you got a copy of the Skyrim map in the game case? you can mark that if needs be or else photocopy it and mark it if you want to keep the original intact

Advertisement