Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Lure of the Temptress from 1992 had non scripted NPC's which was great and annoying at the time as i had to go looking for them and walkthroughs were no help :)

"For fans familiar with the game's development history, the real gimmick of Lure of the Temptress is Revolution Software's Virtual Theater game engine, which brings an amount of personality to non-player characters (NPCs) previously unheard of in competing game engines and scripting languages such as LucasArts' SCUMM (Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion) or Sierra On-Line's SCI (Sierra's Creative Interpreter). The game's NPCs display their own motivations and individual lives separate from the main playable character; instead of having NPCs waiting around for certain in-game events to trigger their use, the engine allows them to wander around the city, creating in essence organic secondary characters. Additionally, the game's developer seems to have taken a page from LucasArts' script writers: the townspeople all have distinct personalities, and their often sarcastic and biting responses provide more validity to their existence outside of living only to help Diermot on his quest. In the end, it brings a certain level of realism to the townspeople and their lives that have not been seen in other similar games of the genre. Moreover, the game engine creates "solid" NPCs—Diermot's sprite can actually "hit" that of an NPC, forcing him to sidestep to continue on his way. The only major fault of this otherwise breakthrough engine is that because it allows the NPCs relatively free reign of the game, more often than not the NPCs will not spawn directly in the path of where the player needs to go, causing the player to force them to respawn by leaving and reentering a room where they are supposed to be found."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

So has anyone else fired up Morrowind or Oblivion in anticipation?

I've started Oblivion again with Oscuros overhaul mod. I want to get myself into Elder Scrolls mode before Skyrim.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'm still finishing off Morrowind properly. I've been a long time at it. I've played bits of games but really trying to do it all the way this time. I've got the main quest and all the guilds done and now working on the expansions.

If I had time, I'd try morroblivion. Morrowind with Oblivion engine. Looks very polished. Last time I checked, all the morrowind mainland quests were converted but the expansions still had a bit to go.
    http://morroblivion.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Monotype wrote: »
    I'm still finishing off Morrowind properly. I've been a long time at it. I've played bits of games but really trying to do it all the way this time. I've got the main quest and all the guilds done and now working on the expansions.

If I had time, I'd try morroblivion. Morrowind with Oblivion engine. Looks very polished. Last time I checked, all the morrowind mainland quests were converted but the expansions still had a bit to go.
    http://morroblivion.com/

I had tried this one for Morrowind a few months ago.

http://morrowindoverhaul.net/blog/

It's a great mod but very tricky to set up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Kirby wrote: »
    They are trying to big up their game which is fine, but combat A.I. is much more important than random NPC's standing around.....so i hope they get that better than in oblivion and fallout.

Naturally combat AI is very important but all the same I wouldnt brush aside random NPC actions/AI all the same. In a game such as Skyrim, where the atmosphere of the gameworld makes the game, the actions of the NPC's around you are pretty important. imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

fm42t3.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not that I am aware of, what are your specs?

Ha, had this machine so long I've forgotten what my specs are. XP tells me it's a
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
    4gig o' RAM
    XFX / Nvidia 9600GT (512MB)

should be just about enough I hope haha

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

You know the game needs a bit more attention when the blind monks say, "t must have been my eyes playing tricks on me." :rolleyes: I bet it was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Some minor but interesting details have emerged about the upcoming Elder Scrolls game that add to the hype behind it.
    The biggest announcement was the removal of the ability to craft your own spell in the game, meaning that mages will have to settle with the spells already in the game.
    The details include things about customization, killing bees and crafting.
    Here is the full list of details that were released:

-Joinable Factions: Rebels with branching path quests (Stormcloaks) and Riverwood Tavern Warrior Clan.
    -Pickpocket skill provides greater RP opportunities and much more realistic thievery for thieves.
    -Myriad options for face-paint.
    -Even minor NPCs have much more complexity and depth compared with Oblivion.
    -Character Generation remembers your settings when switching between races
    -You can persuade various random NPCs to accompany you and they feel like fleshed out, interesting companions.
    -There are six different stages to crafting items. The first two are: Refining crude ore and Assembling materials.
    -More realistic alchemy labs.
    -In addition to alchemy ingredients there are also reagents.
    -Some spells can be learned by reading spell tomes, while others can be bought from merchants.
    -Hand to Hand attacks have a much improved gravity and physicality.
    -There are more ways to complete quests.
    -Lockpicking mini-game is improved.
    -There are bards in the game.
    -You can choose not to spend perk points each level, and hold onto them instead.
    -During Character Generation you can add laugh lines to your character.
    -There are dozens of sliders for character creation.
    -Aurora Borealis is confirmed.
    -You can have animal companions.
    -Bosmer “Animal Allies” Racial Ability confirmed.
    -NPCs can throw rocks if they are on a bridge above you
    -Glow Worms confirmed.
    -Killable Bees and insects confirmed (you can harvest bees from beehives).
    -Fast Travel costs money.
    -Perks do not stop at level 50.
    -There are more types of poison.
    -Bosmer are immune to most types of poison.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nodferatu wrote: »
    Some minor but interesting details have emerged about the upcoming Elder Scrolls game that add to the hype behind it.
    The biggest announcement was the removal of the ability to craft your own spell in the game, meaning that mages will have to settle with the spells already in the game.
    The details include things about customization, killing bees and crafting.
    Here is the full list of details that were released:

-Joinable Factions: Rebels with branching path quests (Stormcloaks) and Riverwood Tavern Warrior Clan.
    -Pickpocket skill provides greater RP opportunities and much more realistic thievery for thieves.
    -Myriad options for face-paint.
    -Even minor NPCs have much more complexity and depth compared with Oblivion.
    -Character Generation remembers your settings when switching between races
    -You can persuade various random NPCs to accompany you and they feel like fleshed out, interesting companions.
    -There are six different stages to crafting items. The first two are: Refining crude ore and Assembling materials.
    -More realistic alchemy labs.
    -In addition to alchemy ingredients there are also reagents.
    -Some spells can be learned by reading spell tomes, while others can be bought from merchants.
    -Hand to Hand attacks have a much improved gravity and physicality.
    -There are more ways to complete quests.
    -Lockpicking mini-game is improved.
    -There are bards in the game.
    -You can choose not to spend perk points each level, and hold onto them instead.
    -During Character Generation you can add laugh lines to your character.
    -There are dozens of sliders for character creation.
    -Aurora Borealis is confirmed.
    -You can have animal companions.
    -Bosmer “Animal Allies” Racial Ability confirmed.
    -NPCs can throw rocks if they are on a bridge above you
    -Glow Worms confirmed.
    -Killable Bees and insects confirmed (you can harvest bees from beehives).
    -Fast Travel costs money.
    -Perks do not stop at level 50.
    -There are more types of poison.
    -Bosmer are immune to most types of poison.

Sounds excellent!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Bards and Fast Travel that costs money - delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I wasn't interested in this until I heard "Killable Bees" – what's wrong with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

If it was killable wasps, this would be instant GOTY for me and I would kill every single wasp encountered. I'm OK with bees, the usually keep to themselves and leave you alone. But my God, how I hate wasps. HATE WASPS.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

Going to miss creating my massive fireball of electrical icy doom, with drain =(

Although, perks not stopping at 50 is great and adding a cost for fast travel is a good move!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Wasps are bástards :p

But yes I'm getting interested in this. I hope the AI is much better and the story features better characters – not just mouthpieces to give the next quest. I rather forget most of the story but remember the personalities encountered.

Also +1 for fast travel cost. Great idea and will make money feel more precious if balanced well. Grind-y in a good way – should a walk to the next town and save my money better armour?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

aw i thought it was killer bees :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Wait, you can't make your own spells? Not happy. Ideally I would have liked them to go the opposite direction, introducing a far more diverse and involved spell creation system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I had tried this one for Morrowind a few months ago.

http://morrowindoverhaul.net/blog/

It's a great mod but very tricky to set up.

It's not that bad, takes about 15 mins of ticking boxes etc. Not sure which version you used but there's an installer for it now.

It's totally worth it though, one of the best game overhauls I've ever seen. The depth of field effect is amazing.

I hope they add a good selection of spells if they're leaving out the spell making - namely conjuration. I want to be able to summon an army!
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Ha, had this machine so long I've forgotten what my specs are. XP tells me it's a
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
    4gig o' RAM
    XFX / Nvidia 9600GT (512MB)

should be just about enough I hope haha

I'd say you'll be ok for running it at the very least. Remember that it needs to run on the consoles. Keep your eyes open for requirements and testing reviews closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well we have heard all about how the NPC's will go about their daily tasks and all the rest but then again Bethesda had to climb down from their ambitious AI targets when Oblivion was released.

I just hope Bethesda have achieved what they set out to achieve with Oblivion but had to abandon due to limitations at the time.

They did pretty well in oblivion like "what are you doing in my house" and following you around as compared to morrowind
    I'd say they'll make even more improvements with this

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    They did pretty well in oblivion like "what are you doing in my house" and following you around as compared to morrowind

They've said that NPCs will react based on how much they like you. If you've helped them out and known them for a while, they won't mind if you pick up small items like apples etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

They've said that NPCs will react based on how much they like you. If you've helped them out and known them for a while, they won't mind if you pick up small items like apples etc.

oh that sounds great! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wonder what the personality system will be like this time. Been playing through Oblivion, and i just bribe everyone who i talk to. Kind of easy when you have tons of money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Will the voice acting be shiiite again? :)

Cyrofornia

Bambi wrote: »
    Will the voice acting be shiiite again? :)

Cyrofornia

70 actors vs 14 in oblivion. Better compression techniques have allowed for more audio on the discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

bluewolf wrote: »

Stealing in Oblivion was ridiculously easy though, even in houses. With a few points in stealth, you could hide behind a table in a well lit room and not be detected. They'd be following you and you suddenly disappear and they don't think "wow, he was fast getting to the door - I'll just forget him completely" leaving you to ransack all their stuff.

The stealth system worked well in dungeons, but not so well in populated areas. It was just too easy to make a living being a thieving ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I'd say you'll be ok for running it at the very least. Remember that it needs to run on the consoles. Keep your eyes open for requirements and testing reviews closer to the time.

The console versions will be optimized for the consoles tho. PC games... not so much :P He might beable to play the game on very low settings i guess, touch and go i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The stealth system worked well in dungeons, but not so well in populated areas. It was just too easy to make a living being a thieving ****.

The difficult issue with having such an open world is always going to be one of consequences. There is simply no way to enforce the notion of social norms, shame and prison time in a computer game, and without those stopping you, dancing on the governor's dinner table is going to be something people do.

Best idea I can come up with is having some sort of reputation system. If you have a habit of strolling around people's houses during the day when you have no business there you gain a reputation as being an eccentric and important NPCs behave accordingly. Get seen at night and the guards will treat you as the thief and potential murderer that you are.

Still, always going to be tricky however you do it.

Stealing in Oblivion was ridiculously easy though, even in houses. With a few points in stealth, you could hide behind a table in a well lit room and not be detected. They'd be following you and you suddenly disappear and they don't think "wow, he was fast getting to the door - I'll just forget him completely" leaving you to ransack all their stuff.

I found that stealing wasn't worthwhile in oblivion. The upmarket house would have a load of silver... worth 2 gold each or something? Even if you come across amulets or swords, they weren't worth much. Then you could walk outside and get a bandit with a full suit of Daedric armour and with the value of five house lootings.
    Magill wrote: »
    The console versions will be optimized for the consoles tho. PC games... not so much :P He might beable to play the game on very low settings i guess, touch and go i'd say.

Yeah, that's true but the RAM and the graphics card are a fair bit above console level. The processor is generally better but consoles could have the advantage here, depending on how skyrim is written. Given that they're really pushing the consoles to their limits, I'd say they'd try to squeeze everything they can out of them.
    With the penalty of non-optimisation, I still think that it could run just about as well, but I'll expect plenty of sliders and tick boxes to mess around with to ensure that it works smoothly. If it really comes to it, the modding community might come up with something like oldblivion again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ah nuts was posted already :o

Advertisement