Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Yeah you fight it a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

I like the way the game is really hard in places

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

keithb93 wrote: »
    Did anyone have a meeting the the Draugr Scourge Lord yet? The hardest thing ive faced so far. He tore me a new hole a few times. :D
    Yep, i ran away!

My xbox rrod on me :( super sadface

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Mine had 3 red lights the other day and randomly came back to life again a few hours later, thought I had to send it away again but thankfully it came back by itself. Try it in a few hours and you might be lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Went up 10 levels today.

I had a system where I'd go into a town and pickpocket everyone I saw. Getting caught only costs 25 gold (and I got caught A LOT). Then I'd rob the evidence locker of anything valuable and sell it to my fence.

Used the money from that to buy all the iron ingots and leather I could find (robbed a fair bit too) and made daggers and hide gauntlets to bring up my smithing skill.

Took about 2 hours in total, my pickpocket went from 23 to 87, my smithing went from 60 something to 96. Dragon armour here I come!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I just got married is there anything you can't do in Skyrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,296 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im level 20 so i can still only buy novice spells?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

justryan wrote: »

divorced? or is a skyrim divorce taking you new wife out on a stroll and dragon shout blasting her off a cliff?

krudler wrote: »
    justryan wrote: »

divorced? or is a skyrim divorce taking you new wife out on a stroll and dragon shout blasting her off a cliff?

Lmao well we got married and now she's nowhere to be found I've tried both of my houses she really should be in the kitchen

Headshot wrote: »
    im level 20 so i can still only buy novice spells?

As your progress stronger spells will become available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

keithb93 wrote: »
    Did anyone have a meeting the the Draugr Scourge Lord yet? The hardest thing ive faced so far. He tore me a new hole a few times. :D

You'll love the Draugr Dreadlords then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 82,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sorry if Im the fifth person to post this

This 3-year-old girl is about to learn a tough life lesson: Never attack a villager in Skyrim or the guards will come and get you. That or, don't be a bully. One of those.

In the video the little girl gets annoyed when a villager tells her she has to leave. "NO!" she screams. Then follows that up with a couple of swipes of the sword to hapless, annoyed villager. Her reaction to the guard dogpile that ensues is priceless.

Carl Douglas, father of the little girl on the video, had this to add in comments:

"Hello! This is actually my daughter in the video. While I do understand that games and violence out of context can be harmful to a child, we are a family of gamers, and the exposure to some imagery is inevitable (though unfortunate). We do our best to explain things to her and talk about what happens. She was in a moment of spotlight since we kept snickering at her saying "no" to the guy telling her that she had to leave - hence the escalating volume from each response to it - so we let it slide even though she knows better than to talk to people like that, haha. But when the adorably traumatic realization set in that the guards were responding to her "swording" by giving her "boo boos," we did ask her what happened. She just sweetly responded "peoples don't like swords, and we don't want swords on the peoples" and she didn't want to play anymore.

Mainly we play Flash games on Nick Jr.com and old DOS hotseat games with her on a computer we set up in the back of my office. But she did know the Skyrim controls because she likes to run around in the wilderness looking for streams to jump into.

Thanks for featuring this, Kotaku, I had no anticipation of this showing up here or getting more than 30 hits on YouTube from family members when I uploaded it!"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If anyone wants something very cool to do that they might have missed, go find the cave on the edge of the map north of the mages' College.

You're welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I just had a very tense battle with a dragon that got the drop on me while I was out hunting fishies on the small island east of Ivarstead. It kept swooshing past overhead raining fiery death down on me for about ten minutes, there were buggerall places to take cover from the flames while I took pot shots at it with my bow. Finally it landed and I could stun him with a well-placed "BOOSH!" followed by hacking him to pieces with an exquisite dwarven greatsword covered in every poison I was carrying. Even then it was a close thing.

The best thing is still the hilarious hurdy-gurdy Nord accents. They're so incredibly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

I'm level 23 with about 23 hours played and still feel I've barely scratched the surface. Have still only been to whiterun and winterhold of the big cities.

I'm still levelling a few different skills, destruction, sneaking, archery, one-handed & smithing. With a bit of alchemy for cash and the odd enchantment. Still haven't got a handle on the enchantment stuff. Is there a way to get 'better' soul gems to create stronger enchantments?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Sarky wrote: »
    The best thing is still the hilarious hurdy-gurdy Nord accents. They're so incredibly awful.

The best quote I have heard in that accent so far is;

"I am not a man. I am a weapon in human form"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

civilnug wrote: »
    I'm level 23 with about 23 hours played and still feel I've barely scratched the surface. Have still only been to whiterun and winterhold of the big cities.

I'm still levelling a few different skills, destruction, sneaking, archery, one-handed & smithing. With a bit of alchemy for cash and the odd enchantment. Still haven't got a handle on the enchantment stuff. Is there a way to get 'better' soul gems to create stronger enchantments?

Yus.

You only get the enchantment at full if you use a Grand Soul Gem.

At least, thats how most of them seem to work. I have had a few that have full effect with a common though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Just hit level 40. Iv done some quests but not that actual many. Just been exploring and trying to get particular skills up (100 Smithy & 100 Enchanting). Have a full set of Daedric Armour but with an Ebony Helmet as it looks a little cooler. Mehrunes Razor is pretty damn epic weapon to use, just slaughter through almost anything :D

Fought my first Elder Dragon as well, took a while but was relatively easy enough. Anyone else finding Dragons to be not that much of a challenge compared to other creatures? The elite Forsworn guys are just mentally hard, pretty much chop you down in seconds! Iv had to retreat from fighting them many times

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Jumpy wrote: »
    Yus.

At least, thats how most of them seem to work. I have had a few that have full effect with a common though.

I have only started doing a little enchanting so haven't figured it all out but I think that "full capacity" depends on the type of soul gem used to enchant the weapon in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

The Gnome wrote: »
    You'll love the Draugr Dreadlords then :D

I spent 25 mins on one of these last night, only to then spend another 20 on a
    Dragon Priest
    straight after that! Bastards.

There's some definite difficulty spike in some of the dungeons, the sliver hand mission mentioned earlier was ridiculous. You basically get attacked by manic crowds of folks. Two handed tanks are such a pain. I've put the last 4 level ups into Health and Stamina and I'm just about able to tackle 2 tanks in one go. Need a 60+ weapon to deal with these lads.

On my way to the Mage college for the first time, the landscape on the way there is gorgeous, its like Frozen Planet on BBC1!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

marco_polo wrote: »
    I have only started doing a little enchanting so haven't figured it all out but I think that "full capacity" depends on the type of soul gem used to enchant the weapon in the first place?

Black Soul Gems or Grand Soul Gems are the highest capacity soul gems you can use (I think there is a daedric item called Azura's star that allows you to infinitely capture souls in it). Basically if you want to have the highest enchantment power from a soul gem you need a Black or Grand soul gem filled with a Grand Soul

You can get even higher enchantment power if you use perks in the enchantment skill as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Jumpy wrote: »
    Yus.

It depends actually.

From what I can work out, for armour, both the soul gem and your enchanting skill/perks will affect how good the enchant is.

For weapons though, only your enchanting skill/perks determines the strength. The quality of the gem actually determines the maximum number of charges the weapon has.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Blowfish wrote: »
    It depends actually.

From what I can work out, for armour, both the soul gem and your enchanting skill/perks will affect how good the enchant is.

For weapons though, only your enchanting skill/perks determines the strength. The quality of the gem actually determines the maximum number of charges the weapon has.

It's not a huge difference really since it is obviously calculating how many charges you will get for the current strength you can apply to the weapon. You can then use the slider to vary the amount of charges to get more or less damage per hit etc.

I have enchanted a bow with the soul trap and it doesn't really matter how strong that is since I only switch to it when it's close to the kill. So I have filled a huge amount of soul gems. The petty/lesser gems are best used for recharging. It's important to be carrying a lot of each type of soul gem though because if for example you only have a grand soul gem and kill a rabbit or whatever you'll end up with a petty soul in the grand soul gem. A waste in other words. So if you intend getting into the enchanting aim to have several of each type and keep an eye on what you have left before deciding to trap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Silver Hand guys were a walk over as a
    Werewolf
    , bar Skinner who was a bitch. My first Draugr Scourge was fought on top of a high mountain, which made it a breeze (Unrelenting Force if fun). Not met an Elder Dragon yet, and i've killed only 2 Dragon Priests so far.

One thing that is annoying me is not being able to remove quest items from my inventory. I've 3 swords that i can't remove, and they are taking up my precious carry weight.

Slightly burned myself out on it recently though. Absolutely love the game, but will take a bit of a break and play some Zelda i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I've had an enforced break from my PC, haven't played Skyrim since Thursday, can't wait to get back into it later. Only played about 15 hours so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

Does anyone else think it's kinda tourture reading about skyrim at work? I hear about all this cool stuff I haven't done yet and I just wanna go home and play it.

Damn you reality.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

35 hours in, level 34 or 35 I think.

Done over 60 of those miscellaneous quests, but got sick of them.

Only done the Companions quest line and a near the end of the Dark Brotherhood now.

Once I have the Dark Brotherhood done, I have a tonne of side quests that have built up so better get stuck into them.

Never been so addicted to a game since Oblivion, its flipping mad, you can lose hours just smithing and selling crap, and preparing to go on a quest.

I am level 70something Archery now, I have barely used my one handed weapon, when anything gets close I just use a shout to keep them back and keep firing arrows, I don't remember the archery being any where near as good in Oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ive only started the DB quests, I was so happy being a warrior and now i wish i picked a rogue, as the armour is only light armour :(

Loving the game so much tho. I got the Morag Ball mace and its bloody handy weapon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Question about the Dark Brotherhood quests, one of the early ones.
    I have to kill 3 different people, one is out in a small town down near the south, can't remember his name. He's in sort of a burned out house over a river from the rest of the town. I cannot seem to kill him without making the guards in the town hostile. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

danthefan wrote: »
    Question about the Dark Brotherhood quests, one of the early ones.
    I have to kill 3 different people, one is out in a small town down near the south, can't remember his name. He's in sort of a burned out house over a river from the rest of the town. I cannot seem to kill him without making the guards in the town hostile. Any suggestions?

Had no difficulty with him at all.

General rule I have doing the Dark Brotherhood quests, is I do my killing at night when my targets are fast asleep, unless the quest specifies some other way to kill them.

That guy was in his leaba when I put an arrow in his face, same as all my other victims. It was night and I was hidden when I struck.

Advertisement