Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

New PC on the way in preparation for this and battlefield 3... but mainly this :pac:

i7 2600k overclocked too 4.6g
    Asus GeForce GTX 580 Matrix
    8 gigs of DDR3 PC3 @ 2133MHz

Hoping for Max settings!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm gonna stop reading this thread for a while, because I'm very excited but November is ages away.

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm gonna stop reading this thread for a while, because I'm very excited but November is ages away.

you'll be back.

as soon as some random info pops up on the choices of colours of Argonian fingernails, you'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Stealing was easy enough in oblivion but not as worth it I think. I was far more of a thief in morrowind until I discovered creeper and the whole soul trap gem thing. Found that harder in oblivion :confused: I'm sure I missed loads though, I didn't get as much into it as morrowind. Other than following people around with poisoned apples "eat damn you, eat!!" :pac:
    Didn't like the mucking around with 5 million mage guilds to advance a level in oblivion either

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm the same. All this talk about it is making me more and more excited, but it's still just under 3 months away. I know i wont be able to stay away though, and the hype will just keep on building.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

they're likely to have open cities in this again, right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im still worried it will end up to be another oblivion which was pretty poor imo.

Dcully wrote: »
    Im still worried it will end up to be another oblivion which was pretty poor imo.

Take that back. Take that back right now.

I loved Oblivion. Yes, it had it's faults, but it was still a great game. Massive open world with a crazy amount of stuff to do. I'll be quite happy if it's Oblivion, with a better story and engine.

I'd be happier if it was Morrowind with a better engine though :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

it's two pay days away :eek:

I really need to buy a new PC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Monotype wrote: »
    I found that stealing wasn't worthwhile in oblivion. The upmarket house would have a load of silver... worth 2 gold each or something? Even if you come across amulets or swords, they weren't worth much. Then you could walk outside and get a bandit with a full suit of Daedric armour and with the value of five house lootings.

This is true, the bandits you'd find levelling up with you and having glass armour, etc was ridiculous. At lower levels, say 5-20 - stealing was horribly overpowered though I found.

Maybe it's just whatever mods I had installed (Oscuro) made all the items a bit more valuable perhaps.

I really wished I could get Oblivion working on the PC with an Xbox 360 controller. The graphics overhauls and Oscuro mod really enhance the game but I prefer it with a controller.

I tried the Pinnacle program and Xpadder but neither worked perfectly. Skyrim better have controller support!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i was at a friends house on saturday and he recently discovered oblivion so I was playing a bit on the xbox.. i found the controller pretty horrible to use. you don't have the fluidity of movement you do with the mouse, turning around corners or looking up and around rooms is more effort than it needs to be.

one thing I hope skyrim has is an always walk button like fallout 3. holding down w all the time gets annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

quarryman wrote: »
    Take that back. Take that back right now.

:P As they say...Opinions are like assholes...

Skyrim will have controller support this time. Nothing to back this up, but it's pretty standard these days.
    one thing I hope skyrim has is an always walk button like fallout 3. holding down w all the time gets annoying.

Do you mean auto-walk, or a slower walk. Cause Oblivion has both. On my pc, Q is auto walk, and Caps Lock slows you down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i mean auto walk

and i did not know oblivion had it

le sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mhairt

I really wished I could get Oblivion working on the PC with an Xbox 360 controller. The graphics overhauls and Oscuro mod really enhance the game but I prefer it with a controller.

I tried the Pinnacle program and Xpadder but neither worked perfectly. Skyrim better have controller support!

Try this pinnacle profile.
    http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22497
    I am using it at the moment and it works brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

bluewolf wrote: »

Cities are closed. Not enough RAM on consoles. :(

mhairt wrote: »
    Try this pinnacle profile.
    http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22497
    I am using it at the moment and it works brilliantly.

did you see my posts in that thread? :)

I got very close to getting it working but not with Darnified UI enabled which i really wanted to use, the menu system in Oblivion sucks.

Also there was some conflict with the Steam community Shift-Tab menu that would pop up occasionally, but i couldn't turn THAT off because i needed for OBSE which reduced the stutter.

Just a classic issue of mods and interface not working 100% together. It got tiresome, so I've decided to not to bother fiddling with it anymore and do a playthrough on the console to keep me going until November.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    Cities are closed. Not enough RAM on consoles. :(

Hopefully they leave it easy enough to allow PC modders to switch it back open again. Never found a mod that did it cleanly in Oblivion.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I can't get excited about this game because I thought Oblivion was a very poor game. I just couldn't get into it at all, but I have recently got a copy of it on XBox (a friend had a spare copy of it and Bioshock - another game I think is appallingly poor and completely over-rated - on one disk) I may try again. It felt to me like a bad console port on the PC. It's a real shame, cause I'm all about Action/RPG games these days

Morrowind on the other hand I thought was an amazing game. I had it running on my netbook whilst on holidays in America and it was the main thing that kept me sane whilst having to deal with my family :p I may go back to that and get it modded up with all the shiny hi-def texture packs etc.

I'll just have to give Oblivion another go I suppose and maybe bash myself over the head with a hammer a few times to lower my expectations sufficiently... :D

You should try it on the pc with some of the mods. It really give you a much better experience. I'm currently playing through with a few different mods, and it's soo much better. The community has really done a fantastic job on it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

bluewolf wrote: »

what are open cities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

do you mean no loading screens when you enter a city?
    I think he means like in Morrowind, where the cities were part of the world and you didn't need to load up a new area just containing the city.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think he means like in Morrowind, where the cities were part of the world and you didn't need to load up a new area just containing the city.

ah thats what I thought alrite and he is a she :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

he is a she :-P
    Woops, my mistake :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

what are open cities?

Cities where you do not have to enter an entire new "cell" in order to get into them, basically no loading when moving from outside the city into the actual city like Oblivion has.

In Morrowind for example, there was no loading whatsoever when moving from outside a city into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Cities where you do not have to enter an entire new "cell" in order to get into them, basically no loading when moving from outside the city into the actual city like Oblivion has.

In Morrowind for example, there was no loading whatsoever when moving from outside a city into the city.

What I really liked in Morrowind was that at the end of the game my vampire was able to leap over walls to get into the cities rather than using gates. That was cool.

And yes I was lying about not coming back to the thread.

You are a lunatic. The idea of going out of one's way to use a pad in a PC first person game...boggles the mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

What I really liked in Morrowind was that at the end of the game my vampire was able to leap over walls to get into the cities rather than using gates. That was cool.

And yes I was lying about not coming back to the thread.

You are a lunatic. The idea of going out of one's way to use a pad in a PC first person game...boggles the mind.

For FPRPG's i think it'd be dead on. Only for hte lack of buttons, i'd rather sit back on my big soft chair using a pad than using a KB/M for something as chilled as an elders scrolls game.

Advertisement