Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

solution: big soft computer chair!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Magill wrote: »
    For FPRPG's i think it'd be dead on. Only for hte lack of buttons, i'd rather sit back on my big soft chair using a pad than using a KB/M for something as chilled as an elders scrolls game.

Madness. Complete madness. I get annoyed even watching a recording of someone playing a FPS with a pad. Watching the screen slowly and clumsily lurch from one point to the next with no intuitive control, ugh, I loathe pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Zillah wrote: »
    Madness. Complete madness. I get annoyed even watching a recording of someone playing a FPS with a pad. Watching the screen slowly and clumsily lurch from one point to the next with no intuitive control, ugh, I loathe pads.

stop watching newbs then :P

Either way, you don't exactly need to be fatal1ty to play Oblivion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Magill wrote: »
    For FPRPG's i think it'd be dead on. Only for hte lack of buttons, i'd rather sit back on my big soft chair using a pad than using a KB/M for something as chilled as an elders scrolls game.

exactly. I love sitting back on my couch with the controller playing Oblivion.

It works great Fallout New Vegas, controller support is supported natively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Don't get me wrong I totally understand the whole relaxing on the couch playing your console , I've enjoyed the same. Working on ****ty PC all day in work then coming home to play on one might seem strange to some alright but really, if I wanna really get into a game I play on my smooth running pc with my big comfy desk chair and high dpi mouse (just feels brilliant to use after working in a ****ty slow citrix environment all day :p) . My pc is my main entertainment system so I damn well have it as a comfy chill spot in my room also.

Its not impossible lads :p

Only thing I'm missing is a nice 5.1 surround sound set up. The messiness of it all puts me off but the temptation is there,

• Advertisement

That's another reason actually. I work at a computer all day, the last thing I want to do is sink another 4-5 hours in the evening in the same position. Couch FTW.

I love the PC for some FPS and RTS but Elder Scrolls and Fallout has always been controller + couch for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is the collectors edition for the pc?

Just can only find consoles versions on gamestop

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You are a lunatic. The idea of going out of one's way to use a pad in a PC first person game...boggles the mind.

Not in every case. I played Dead Space on my PC with a 360 controller. The game was built with a controller in mind and the Mouse/Keyboard control in the game is HORRID. A victim of porting.

Also, I played all of Batman:AA on my PC with a 360 controller. It just felt way more natural and fun.

Now these are obviously third person but keep in mind some people played Oblivion and fallout in third-person.

While I agree that in general Mouse/Keyboard is far superior for most games.......not for all.
    Sisko wrote: »
    if I wanna really get into a game I play on my smooth running pc with my big comfy desk chair and high dpi mouse (just feels brilliant to use after working in a ****ty slow citrix environment all day :p) . .

Do yourself a favour mate and buy another of your favourite mice and use it for work. I brought mine into work everyday and its so much better. When you feel comfortable there, you can just leave it in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

playing on laptop in bed is comfy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

bluewolf wrote: »
    playing on laptop in bed is comfy :)

Iv tried this before but getting an appropriate hand rest for the mouse usually deters me from doing so :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Speaking of comfortable gaming chairs to play with a mouse and keyboard, does anyone have any recommendations? I've been playing from the couch lately, and i'm not really liking the setup.

Kiith wrote: »
    Speaking of comfortable gaming chairs to play with a mouse and keyboard, does anyone have any recommendations? I've been playing from the couch lately, and i'm not really liking the setup.

yeah this thread got me googling for something. Seen a few at $2000+. Stopped looking....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

one of those cheap office chairs from viking direct will do the job grand

Iv tried this before but getting an appropriate hand rest for the mouse usually deters me from doing so :(

ah i have a mouse but i dont use it
    got used to years of playing with the touchpad

one of those cheap office chairs from viking direct will do the job grand

Where would i put the mouse though? That's the issue i have with most office chairs. I don't have a desk, so i'd need some sort of arm rest for the mouse.

oh, yeah.. before I had a desk I just sat on my bed.. was pretty horrible

you could look at a nightstand of some sort from argos or somewhere similar, should get one cheap enough. just sit it beside the chair?
    although then youd be resting the keyboard on your lap.. might not be ideal for comfort

I used to sit on an old chair from a sofa set, big comfy thing with big arm rests I used for the mousemat. wasn't ideal for shooters or rts, but it was doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

bleh, all you pad users are to blame for that travesty of an inventory in Oblivion :(

Problem solved. Anyone got $50,000 they can lend me?

401 Driving Simulator
    Step into Force Dynamic's 401 Driving Simulator to experience every twist and turn on the racetrack using many popular racing games like Live for Speed, iRacing, DiRT2, and even an old-school favorite: Super Mario Kart for Super Nintendo. The 401 can also be rigged up to work with Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Force Dynamics says an important part of what makes the 401 a realistic experience is how it handles rotation. The sensation you get from rotation can tell you if your car is about to spin out of control or fishtail, or simply convey how the car feels on the road when you're turning a corner. The 401 also uses gravity to approximate the sensations of acceleration and deceleration by pushing you back in the driver's seat when you speed up and letting you drop a little bit downwards when you're coming out of warp speed. You can find out more about how the 401 uses motion on Force Dynamics' site.

The 401 features a driving compartment, a powder-coated gray aluminum sheet for the projection screen, and a Hitachi CP-X260 projector with 1024 by 768 resolution to put you right in the game. Pricing ranges from $55,000 to $70,000, which is a little steep for most gamers, but you can check out the Force Dynamics Website to see the 401 in action.

401-Driving-Simulator2-851x1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

for 50 grand, I'd buy an actual track car, and a lifetimes worth of track days

sometimes the mind just boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

This thing looks handy for mouse and keyboard (or laptop) while sitting in a big comfy chair.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lounge-Tek-LB000-Lounge-Book-Standard-Laptop/dp/B0045RZWIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313579865&sr=8-1

lounge-book-1.jpg?=1227278727

Yeah the guy looks like a plank in that chair, but it looks like a useful bit of kit. (And it's not 50 grand).

• Advertisement

That's a decent budget solution alright.

I dunno, i'd say your arm would get pretty tired with nothing underneath it.

just buy a desk :)

just buy a desk :)

I want to but i've no room in my new apartment. Plus i sold my old 22" monitor :(

im kinda in the same situation as you, well.. I was

tiny 1 bed apartment, but I said **** it and threw the desk in. I dont have much room for anything else now bar the couch, my desk chair, desk and tv.. but at least my pc gaming experience is optimal :)

also, screw 22 inch.. hook your pc up to the tv :) hdmi all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

got used to years of playing with the touchpad

This thread is full of crazy people.

This thread is full of crazy people.

great fun pvping in wow with it
    you'd be surprised how you get used to it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I find the lack of a good desk the worst part. I have a nice keyboard and mouse, and my leather chair is cosy, but my desk is a horrible argos thing. Makes me feel like I'm still in the office - would love a nice living room appropriate desk, but apparently they don't exist :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

great fun pvping in wow with it
    you'd be surprised how you get used to it :)

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I've played counterstrike plenty of times with a mouse pad. It just adds to the challenge!

Anyway, I thought this thread was about Skyrim...

The latest news is that health will regenerate automatically slowly. Apparently this won't impact restorations skills.
    IMO, completely unnecessary although it might be an okay idea if it was one of those perks for someone with high restoration.

Advertisement