Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

So do alot of players just do the main quest while doing side quests along the way?

or just set out and explore? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I became the Arch Mage yet that lad in dragon reach keeps telling me to join the mages guild :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Mostly I just roam around - As far as the main-quest goes, I've not once gone further than the first meeting (And learning a new Word) from the Grey-Beards, and never joined the Rbellion or the Empire...

On my current playthrough (Last time I quit at about level 25 when I just wasn't happy with a few bugs and my characters development) I'm now level 45 and not even grazed the surface of the main quest yet. This presents a problem where even with the games 'smart AI' and how dungeons etc are based on your level, they're still of absolutely no challenge to me, especially as a Stealth-Archer who can sneak-attack everything safely from range. Even Ancient Dragons and the like are a piss-take. This makes things a bit dull.

In relation to the side-quests, just completed the Thieves Guild Q-Line, fun overall and it's only natural seeing as I ALWAYS play a Rogue'type in these games. I suppose the next step in the progression ladder would be Dark Brotherhood... Can't see any other time being right, what with me sitting around in that Nightbane or whatever it's called Armor I just got from the Thieves line.

In other news, yes, "Hotia" is now my wife. I shouldn't have picked her, purely because she's actually my favourite companion - Decking her out in Ebony Set items with Tonnes of +Health and +HealthAbsorb weapons makes her tank pretty much everything and she's a dab-hand at Archery for those pesky ranged situations.

Now that we're married she's more use just sitting at home so I can flog all the crap I gather to her.

Oh well... Least we had a big-phat lesbian wedding.

If I ever play the game again I'll go about it differently, as we all do. Next up I might bother my hole seeing the Grey Beards properly but I'm more inclined to go slap up the Assassins // Brotherhood - ****ers tried to assassinate me as early as level 10 - Not on my watch, son.

I'm the same, lvl 47 but not completed the main quest...though I did go a bit further, as you learn a few more shouts from the Greybeards...and they then tell you the location of all the shouts. Well, 1 by 1 that is "we have heard the echoes here" ...then you go there, kill stuff, get the shout....go back to greybeards....rinse and repeat... so I've been doing that :)

I've done the DB and Thieves, Mage and Stormcloaks, but not the companions yet.

I'm also at the point where standard people are too easy, but on Expert/Master ...any kind of mage upclose can be a bit of bother.
    So...I've taken to fighting without a weapon vs bandits etc....and the kill cutscenes are HILLARIOUS for unarmed !!!
    Rest of time is trying to improve the Thieves, get all the dragon masks and dragon shouts and find Daedric quests (found most already ...glad to see the Jabberwack is back) :D

I'm married to Mjoll, I usually send her to Whiterun to my house, because when I come in from a long days adventuring with Cicero in tow (rhyming about killing cats or something) ....herself and Lydia and usually at the table having a chat :D:) ..which is nice to see my bitchez getting along so well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Im level 21 now and done a good chunk of the main quest, which was kinda stupid considering I still get killed by bears and necromancers in dungeons, I need to beef up my archery and magic, my one handed skill is at lvl 45 now (just like real life, ho ho!) so i've been plowing all my levelling up into that, need moar magics!

how do you decide who to marry? I kinda wanna marry Ria from the companions as shes a saucy flirt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I'm building up a nice little collection of Daedric artifacts. The Sanguine Rose is a life saver in the dungeons because it lets you summon a rock-hard Dremora Lord. Molag Bal's mace is an absolute killer and Mehrune's Razor is great for hacking enemies apart:pac:

Those trolls are freakin' scary things, can you imagine going for a nice leisurely stroll along the Wicklow Mountains or the Clare Glens and a troll jumped out from the side and started chasing you? I'd soil myself:eek:

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    Im level 21 now and done a good chunk of the main quest, which was kinda stupid considering I still get killed by bears and necromancers in dungeons, I need to beef up my archery and magic, my one handed skill is at lvl 45 now (just like real life, ho ho!) so i've been plowing all my levelling up into that, need moar magics!

how do you decide who to marry? I kinda wanna marry Ria from the companions as shes a saucy flirt

You can marry whoever (there's a long list of possible people) , as long as you're friendly with them.
    Just go riften, but an amulet of Mara from the temple, wear it, and talk to them

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Can your companions pick things up without your knowing/telling them to, cause i went to trade some stuff with lydia and lo and behold in her inventory was a super staff of fireball havent the slightest where she got it and i certainly didnt pick it up as i woulda kept it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    How do you find out game play hours?

It shows you on the Save Game & Load Game screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You can marry whoever (there's a long list of possible people) , as long as you're friendly with them.
    Just go riften, but an amulet of Mara from the temple, wear it, and talk to them
    ah nice one.
    I'm really debating staying in tonight and getting myself a wife instead of going out and getting a Slapper.
    I'm level 22 now woohoo delighted with meself. Smithing is well easy to level up, tis great.
    Finally got a house last night. Don't ever try save for a house when your drunk. I sold everything I had just to buy the house. Was running around for ages then with only them strange looking scunderpants on me. Was delighted when I searched a chest and realised I forgot I already left loads of stuff in it. Great game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played up to level ten or so: enjoying it but still seeing a slightly more streamlined, prettier and bigger Oblivion. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the combat is still **** (magic powers are basically holding down a button until enemy dies, and the dragon fights are awkward messes) and the world still painfully generic despite its layer of shininess. Only one major glitch so far though, where the ground opened up beneath me in the first main Imperial mission to reveal a hidden but unexitable treasure room :pac: Also pissed off at how stupid a villager who wanted to follow me to the big ol' tree sanctuary was - for some strange reason kept getting engaged in fisticuffs to the detriment of his health bar.

Still a great game, and a well realised world (if utterly lacking in originality). Shall I pump a lot of time into it? Yes. Is it GotY material? **** no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Started playing on the 27th. I'm a level 34. Just made myself some Daedric Armor and a Daedric Sword. God damn I love this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Hoping they release an expansion or something soon to spice it up :p
    I want to lead the Stormcloaks into Cyrodiil. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Hey lads what's the story with when you see the guards shouting out thief or whatever to a random AI chap in the game. Once I twice I used me shout for the craic and a few of the guards went flying aswell. But if I just went up and gave me man a few slaps would I get arrested aswell or would they say thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Level 48 now and still having a blast. Got Archery up to a 100 and currently working on the crafting skills like smithing, alchemy and enchanting.

I decided against powerleveling them, and instead mine my own ore and skin my own hides, makes it much more fun actually. Still so many places to explore and quests to do. I'm constantly getting surprised by the game.

Had a very poignant moment yesterday when I did the Frostfall lighthouse quest. My favorite mini quest in the game so far in terms of story telling. The attention to detail in this game is just astounding and really blows you away.

My one and only complaint is that crafting is overpowered/too easy. You can power level enchanting and smithing far too easily and make weapons and armor that are better than the best loot you can find, which sort of takes the incentive out of exploring and discovering that magical artifact at the bottom of some deep and horrible dungeon.

Could be easily fixed though:
    They should just make it so that as you level these skills up you have to make better items and get diminishing returns from the lower level stuff. That way you can't just powergrind up in a couple of hours.

I had been getting bored a few days ago as everything was too easy to kill, cranked up the difficulty to Master and the game became challenging again.

Ran into an ancient dragon that must have killed me at least 20 times. Couldn't do anything against it as it kept one-shotting me with its breath. Until...
    I enchanted a ring and necklace with frost resist and then I just stood there shooting arrows while it breathed impotently at me

Which, imo shows bad AI designs and highlights my point regarding the overpowered nature of crafting in the game.

Still easily the best game I have played in a long, long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Another classic from Robbaz, King Of Sweden...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nodferatu wrote: »

Is that a mod :D?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

That guard can dance pretty well for someone who took an arrow to the knee!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Normal dragons and even blood dragons are easy. This was an ancient dragon, which I've read are stronger than Alduin, though I wouldn't know for sure as I haven't finished the main quest line.

He was perched on top of a ledge overlooking one of the ice words of power. It was on top of a mountain with no obstacle big enough.

Those twenty (maybe it was not that many) deaths were from me trying to shoot it and get it to follow me and then try and find an obstacle big enough to fight it from. Most of the time I didn't get very far before he one-shotted me with his breath.

There were a couple of large pillars but his breath seemed to him me even if I was behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

internet-memes-right-next-to-the-pepper-spray-of-burning.jpg

internet-memes-seriously-enough-already.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

So sank about 25 hours into this and am lvl 35 and i still don't know how to get new magics, i want to use conjure magics to take souls, any pointers? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

KilOit wrote: »
    So sank about 25 hours into this and am lvl 35 and i still don't know how to get new magics, i want to use conjure magics to take souls, any pointers? :o

you have to buy (or find) a spell tome from someone! Each spell basically comes from a book.

When you buy the book,you read it and learn the spell and then the book disappears!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Is that a mod :D?

yeah if you look at the video on youtube look under the description under video theres a link to the mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Just playing now wandering around killing scumbags, and was just trying to think what was the last game that got this much play out of me? I can't honestly recall one, even oblivion or fallout. Nearly a solid 2 months and no boredom at all. Magic.

Memnoch wrote: »

My one and only complaint is that crafting is overpowered/too easy. You can power level enchanting and smithing far too easily

How do you power level enchanting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

hypermuse wrote: »
    you have to buy (or find) a spell tome from someone! Each spell basically comes from a book.

When you buy the book,you read it and learn the spell and then the book disappears!

Damn i'm such an idiot, i thought those spell tomes were a one time use, have about 15 of them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Orizio wrote: »
    Another classic from Robbaz, King Of Sweden...

"Their mother won't be happy about this" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

KilOit wrote: »
    Damn i'm such an idiot, i thought those spell tomes were a one time use, have about 15 of them :rolleyes:

129111920799765727.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

SeantheMan wrote: »
    How do you power level enchanting ?

DS everything you can get your hands on and then enchant something cheap like steel knives, check the values on each enchant and use the most expensive selling one. Use iron knives either if you're levelling your smithing so you'll level two skills and get a decent bit of gold from selling them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement