Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

What's the best way to tackle them solo?

If you're squishy, find a large rock or tree to hide behind and pepper them with arrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Cool, I'll try that. I keep loosing my bareings on them too when they fly but I'll just have to get quicker at moving :D
    Also, look for the red dot on the compass to find the dragon.Much less disorientating than trying to track him yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not a fan of the dragon battles I have to admit. No faulting the scale - the first random arrival with the epic music cue is spine-tingling - but I think when you actually fight them they show up all the shortcomings of the game. As bosses, they're merely 'sponges' or glorified hit bars that need to be diminished. Anything but the arrow approach is a pain in the ass - not hard, just annoying. It shows the fundamental problems of trying to have half-scripted battles in an open world environment. And it also shows the strange clockwork nature of Skyrim itself - after their village was attacked by a huge dragon, the locals just got straight back to work as if nothing happened. Even the guard didn't mention it when I went up to talk to him :pac:

Seeing a dragon swooping through the sky is indeed extremely impressive. But the fights are less so. And coming off Dark Souls - which has a number of intense, epic dragon bosses - it just goes to show combat is far, far from Skyrim's strong suit. There are times when the 'Oblivion with more dragons, mountains and sidequests' descriptor rings disturbingly true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

mewso wrote: »
    Well lets be fair it was a tongue in cheek remark on my part. Hardly an attack on Sean although he appears to have thought so which is my fault perhaps. No harm done indeed. On a brighter note I got the 4 disc Soundtrack today signed by Jeremy Soul. Great stuff.

Ah I know! Wasn't having a go! Just saying I haven't had a chance to keep up with this thread for the last while.

On a darker note,I haven't played this in about 2 weeks :( Need to get into it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

30 hours in so far and have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed, a great way to pass the time when I'm bored but gameplay wise its nothing special at all. Just feels like Oblivion in a different setting a lot of the time and the combat is still poor which is disappointing after over 4 years of development. I'll keep on playing of course as its still a great immersive experience and I haven't even scratched the surface yet but its just annoying to see a lot of the flaws of Oblivion still present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭Corvo

Damn I feel so jealous when I come on here and I see so many posts of guys using bows to devastating effects, mages who can cast unbelievable spells and charactars with swords the size of mountains.

My daily routine in Skyrim is run into a cave (say the one of the "Kill the Bandit Leader" in wherever missions), discover a very powerful mage inside and sprint away with the a**e of my armour of fire or an ice spike through my abdomen.

Level 20 now, havent really got into the smithing, mostly because I havent a notion where to start! Trying to use as much magic as I can, but sometimes there is no substitute for a good ol swing of my Skyforge One Handed Axe (don't laugh at my weapon :D)

Tips welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Level 20 now, havent really got into the smithing, mostly because I havent a notion where to start! Trying to use as much magic as I can, but sometimes there is no substitute for a good ol swing of my Skyforge One Handed Axe (don't laugh at my weapon :D)

Tips welcome

Buy Iron ingots / ores.
    Make Iron Daggers
    Sell Iron daggers

Rinse and repeat to level your smithing as needed.

When leveling up, check the smithing perks, and go along the branch you use(left is light armour - glass, elven , and right is heavy - orcish, dwarven)

Then mine or buy whichever ores for whichever armour you want and craft away

But really, the best tip, play the way you want. There is no right or wrong way to play the game, it's all about personal preference, if you like magic or swords, if you like bows or sneaking...being a nice guy or an arse, killing rabbits or marrying people. It's your world :)

If you need specific tips , check out http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skyrim
    which is the best resource for Skryim ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

In Windhelm I killed Nilsene Shatter Shield in her sleep using Mehrunes Razor yesterday evening as part of a Dark Brotherhood quest. I felt like such a murdering scumbag afterwards seeing that Tobjorn Shatter Shield's younger daughter Friga was also murdered previously in a separate incident :(

Afterwards I went to the Grey Quarter where I found some drunk shouting racist abuse at the Dark Elves so I battered him with Molag Bal's mace to cheer me up. Hopefully that beating will have "lernt" him:pac: If I catch him again I'll do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

In Windhelm I killed Nilsene Shatter Shield in her sleep using Mehrunes Razor yesterday evening as part of a Dark Brotherhood quest. I felt like such a murdering scumbag afterwards seeing that Tobjorn Shatter Shield's younger daughter Friga was also murdered previously in a separate incident :(

Ahhh such a shame, if you wait and time it right could have been so much better. I killed her in the graveyard knowing he was walking towards us. I timed it right and killed her without being seen then watched him find his daughter dead :D

Such a bastard thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Ahhh such a shame, if you wait and time it right could have been so much better. I killed her in the graveyard knowing he was walking towards us. I timed it right and killed her without being seen then watched him find his daughter dead :D

Such a bastard thing to do.
    haha that's evil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Hi all. Is there a way to leave the stormcloaks or am i stuck with them till the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Hi all. Is there a way to leave the stormcloaks or am i stuck with them till the end?

Try Kill Ulfric, see what happens ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Try Kill Ulfric, see what happens ?

Tried to kill boss guy at camp and he wouldn't die. Will try ulric later. Tx

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

Does anybody else find that the Pawned Prawn in Riften is constantly closed?

If so - is there any reason for this?

I don't remember killing the owner at any stage but I did cut lumps out of a rake of randoms down the Ratways on one visit down there. Not sure if he could have been one of them??

I'm about 100 hours in and cannot remember it being open apart from the very first time I visited Riften..

If so - is there any reason for this?

I don't remember killing the owner at any stage but I did cut lumps out of a rake of randoms down the Ratways on one visit down there. Not sure if he could have been one of them??

I'm about 100 hours in and cannot remember it being open apart from the very first time I visited Riften..

I'd say you have your answer! :D He be the guy nearly in two halves!

That pawned prawn fella annoyed me. I went to rough him up but ended to leave him off then. For hours then I went in to warn him and he kept asking to leave. Eventually I got annoyed with him and killed himself and the wife. completed. How silly of me haha.

I'm wood elf but barely used
    e arrow. Maybe 6 shots. Gonna have to level it up for the craic but its so crap starting off that I just couldn't be arsed. Is there anyone I can buy the skill/talent from to nudge it up a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

seanybiker wrote: »
    e arrow. Maybe 6 shots. Gonna have to level it up for the craic but its so crap starting off that I just couldn't be arsed. Is there anyone I can buy the skill/talent from to nudge it up a bit?

I think you can get archery training from Aela The Huntress in the Companions

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

seanybiker wrote: »
    That pawned prawn fella annoyed me. I went to rough him up but ended to leave him off then. For hours then I went in to warn him and he kept asking to leave. Eventually I got annoyed with him and killed himself and the wife. completed. How silly of me haha.

I think there's a lad in the Ragged Flaggon Cistern that you can buy archery upgrades from. And some lad in Riverwood involved in some love triangle, if you help him rather than the other lad he does archery lessons (and you can rob the money off him afterwords and he won't say anything!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 liljon4lyfe

Was wandering around Skyrim as ye do when i stumbled apon a camp of bandits that had wolves locked in cages. So i go down clear out the place and check one of the wolfs cages to find its a Master lock :( So i couldnt let the poor guy die starving in the cage. So i proceed to attack him with my sword only to have my final hit be a finishing type move which...TELEPORTED ME INSIDE THE FECKING CAGE!:mad: My heart dropped. Used up about 70 Lockpicks before i finally managed to release myself. Lucky i had to many since i didnt save the game in ages

im looking for this location anybody know the name of the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

If you haven't already, try starting
    the Thieves' Guild quests. One of the early ones involves the owner of that shop, so it just might force him out of hiding, if he's still alive
    I'd say you have your answer! He be the guy nearly in two halves!
    Fortunately for GetInTheHole!, Bersi Honey-Hand isn't one of the NPC's down in the Ratways :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I think there's a lad in the Ragged Flaggon Cistern that you can buy archery upgrades from. And some lad in Riverwood involved in some love triangle, if you help him rather than the other lad he does archery lessons (and you can rob the money off him afterwords and he won't say anything!)

You can get archery lessons off him regardless of if you side with him in the lovetriangle. But if you DO, you can ask him to be a companion after, get the lessons off him, then go into his inventory and take back the gold.

Cheers lads. Got sorted with the love triangle fella then went off and married his lack :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

im looking for this location anybody know the name of the area?

think you are looking for Faldar's Tooth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Im noticing something with the potions you pick up, When I played through as a warrior i couldnt move but to trip up over a magicka potion and I couldnt find any Stamina potions now I am plauying pure mage and its the exact oppisate I cant find majic but ive got tonnes of stamina.

Anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Im noticing something with the potions you pick up, When I played through as a warrior i couldnt move but to trip up over a magicka potion and I couldnt find any Stamina potions now I am plauying pure mage and its the exact oppisate I cant find majic but ive got tonnes of stamina.

Anyone else notice this?

I'm playing as mage/ archer and I rarely find stamina potions. Nearly always Magicka or weak Health potions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Anyone else notice this?

I was wondering about this myself the last day actually, and maybe it's just the quest path I've chosen thus far but as a destructive/2h mage I've only really found mage armour and some two handed melee weapons out of chests and the ilk. I have some range stuff, but it's definitely more weighted towards the play style I've chosen..

..or maybe I'm overthinking it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Leeg17 wrote: »
    I was wondering about this myself the last day actually, and maybe it's just the quest path I've chosen thus far but as a destructive/2h mage I've only really found mage armour and some two handed melee weapons out of chests and the ilk. I have some range stuff, but it's definitely more weighted towards the play style I've chosen..

..or maybe I'm overthinking it :p

I always find there to be more health and magic potions than stamina..

prob coz I always take health/magic and never stamina as I'm a mage!

thats just me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One quibble about the game that is both annoying & disappointing in equal measure is the quest marker's overzealous desire to point out everything I need to do, rather than let me discover things on on my own.

For instance, on more than one occasion I've been asked to search a room for an item: and yet rather than leave me to rummage through the room myself, Skyrim drops a quest marker right over the book / clue / potion. It kills the immersion dead, not to mention the excitement.

Im fair sorry I didnt start off using Greatswords instead of those little one-handed bit*h weapons. The joy of taking from Frostfall to Rains Hand to swing that thing around my head and blowing a bandit through wooden door would never get old. Never... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 liljon4lyfe

marco_polo wrote: »
    think you are looking for Faldar's Tooth

thanks marco gona check it out :), the area i had visited before was more of a camp with 1 bandit and 2 cages with master locks but will post back if i find it :)

Advertisement