Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

pixelburp wrote: »
    One quibble about the game that is both annoying & disappointing in equal measure is the quest marker's overzealous desire to point out everything I need to do, rather than let me discover things on on my own.

For instance, on more than one occasion I've been asked to search a room for an item: and yet rather than leave me to rummage through the room myself, Skyrim drops a quest marker right over the book / clue / potion. It kills the immersion dead, not to mention the excitement.
    Yeah imagine how tedious it is to play the game if there are no quest markers for all those pointless fetch and kill bandit leader quests. It's quantity over quality for quests in Skyrim and Oblivion. The world they created is great, the quests and gameplay very mediocre. People who think this is a 10/10 game are bowled over by the world and possibly have OCD. :P Anyway...horses for courses and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Im fair sorry I didnt start off using Greatswords instead of those little one-handed bit*h weapons. The joy of taking from Frostfall to Rains Hand to swing that thing around my head and blowing a bandit through wooden door would never get old. Never... :D

It's pretty entertaining alright although, I'm tempted to move to battle axes to give them a go if I can muster up spare materials - it's pretty fun to hear a bandit saying "Oh, I'm going to enjoy killing you", only to be interrupted by being impaled on the sword and subsequently slammed off the ground (or by being decapitated) :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    Yeah imagine how tedious it is to play the game if there are no quest markers for all those pointless fetch and kill bandit leader quests. It's quantity over quality for quests in Skyrim and Oblivion. The world they created is great, the quests and gameplay very mediocre. People who think this is a 10/10 game are bowled over by the world and possibly have OCD. :P Anyway...horses for courses and all that.
    I wasn't referring to all quests, I've no problem with quest markers for the myriad "kill character X" quests; I'm talking about specific points in some quests where you're asked to search a room for a complete unknown ite,m. The game has a floating marker over the very item you're looking for, removing all fun.

Example :
    During the daedra mission in Dawnstar, a priest asks me to search a library for a specific tome to help the quest. That'll be fun, I thought - a wee treasure hunt. Only it wasn't because the game immediately floated a marker over the book in question, on the other side of the room
    . This has happened a few times throughout the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I wasn't referring to all quests, I've no problem with quest markers for the myriad "kill character X" quests; I'm talking about specific points in some quests where you're asked to search a room for a complete unknown ite,m. The game has a floating marker over the very item you're looking for, removing all fun.

It is needed in some instances though, and helpful.
    However, for a happy medium they should make it optional.

I'd be fairly certain there is a mod out there which would allow you to do this

Found this though for ye
    You can also turn off the quest markers on the map, as well as the quest icons that hover over NPCs.

In the same file (SkyrimPrefs.ini), under [Gameplay] you will find:

bShowFloatingQuestMarkers=1

bShowQuestMarkers=1

If you change the 1 to a 0, respectively it will turn off the quest markers that hover over NPCs' heads, and it will turn off the quest markers that show up on your map (and possibly compass, although I turned my compass off too, so I'm not sure).

This effectively disables the modern day "RPG GPS" and will force you to listen to and remember names/directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I killed a bandit chief at a tower to the north east of Whiterun on the way to the grey beards, all way and good.

I go back to join the companions in Whiterun and there first mission is to go to the same tower to kill a bandit chief, simple I thought, the last battle wasnt too bad.

Get to the tower and the bandit chief i have to kill is the very same one I had killed on the way to the grey beards, a quest mark now appears over her and I cannot do anything about. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

SeantheMan wrote: »
    It is needed in some instances though, and helpful.
    However, for a happy medium they should make it optional.

I'd be fairly certain there is a mod out there which would allow you to do this

Found this though for ye

Brilliant - though I'm so far into the game now I'll probably not get the full benefit - shame I never thought / heard of it before :( Cheers though all the same :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I can't get a straight answer online - although the closest thing to consensus seems to be that the developer's simply left it out - but is it at all possible to complete the Northwatch Keep / Missing in Action quest without having to kill all the guards? I've completed the Imperial questline, and Tullius still gives me the 'it's not possible' response. One guide online claims that you have to receive some 'legionairre's armour' to do it, but by all other accounts it sounds like absolute nonsense.

I can't get a straight answer online - although the closest thing to consensus seems to be that the developer's simply left it out - but is it at all possible to complete the Northwatch Keep / Missing in Action quest without having to kill all the guards? I've completed the Imperial questline, and Tullius still gives me the 'it's not possible' response. One guide online claims that you have to receive some 'legionairre's armour' to do it, but by all other accounts it sounds like absolute nonsense.
    This the one where you have to rescue a chap from a Thalmer base? Yeah, as far as I can see (and trawling through the wiki), there's no way you can complete it without cleaving through all the Thalmer. I've kept that mission open because I just couldn't go through the hassle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This the one where you have to rescue a chap from a Thalmer base? Yeah, as far as I can see (and trawling through the wiki), there's no way you can complete it without cleaving through all the Thalmer. I've kept that mission open because I just couldn't go through the hassle.

Yeah that's the one.

It's just bothering me because everything is there to suggest there's a 'peaceful' approach, but it's like Bethesda just left out a vital item or dialogue snippet necessary to complete it. Had simply assumed completing the Imperial quest line would have unlocked it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

gavredking wrote: »
    I killed a bandit chief at a tower to the north east of Whiterun on the way to the grey beards, all way and good.

I go back to join the companions in Whiterun and there first mission is to go to the same tower to kill a bandit chief, simple I thought, the last battle wasnt too bad.

Get to the tower and the bandit chief i have to kill is the very same one I had killed on the way to the grey beards, a quest mark now appears over her and I cannot do anything about. :(

Sounds like Valtheim Towers. To be honest I use that place as a hunting ground for loot and I've killed numerous bandits and chiefs there. The locations reset after 48 hours so maybe try that and go back again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭Corvo

Pah! Quit your moaning and kill him again, and this time...make him suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

Yeah that's the one.

It's just bothering me because everything is there to suggest there's a 'peaceful' approach, but it's like Bethesda just left out a vital item or dialogue snippet necessary to complete it. Had simply assumed completing the Imperial quest line would have unlocked it :(

Have left the q open also thinking there was a alternate, shame to hear there isnt :(

searched high and low for a 'sewer entrace' etc but nout, and the thalmor sentry has super high stealth detection (I call particular bs on that)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

One quibble about the game that is both annoying & disappointing in equal measure is the quest marker's overzealous desire to point out everything I need to do, rather than let me discover things on on my own.

For instance, on more than one occasion I've been asked to search a room for an item: and yet rather than leave me to rummage through the room myself, Skyrim drops a quest marker right over the book / clue / potion. It kills the immersion dead, not to mention the excitement.

You could always make your quest inactive so you can search for the stuff on your own :D The quest will still update whether or not it's active.

Yeah that's the one.

Yeah I agree it does seem to suggest this; I presume the nearest to a peaceful resolution would be if you had strong mage powers & could cast calm / fear spells on the Thalmer. Though since pausing the quest, I have the sanguine rose so might just sneak-cast my way to victory.

Generally, I presumed the thinking was the Thalmer simply do their own thing & don't bow to any pressure from the Imperials, no matter how high their station is. They certainly come across as being the douche'iest of douchebags in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Ah just kill 'em all anyway. They're filthy fascist scum and deserve to die. You get some nice complete suits of glass armour if you do, several suits of elven armour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Happened me quite a lot "Cave...cleared".

You must go to the cave and kill X.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah that's the one.

Well from what I remember I did manage this very early in the game without bloodshed but it was a bit cheaty in that I think I was able to sneak in and then just run out and once I reached a certain point the guy would thank me and the guards stop chasing you. So it's a bit game breaking but works.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

DarkJager wrote: »
    Sounds like Valtheim Towers. To be honest I use that place as a hunting ground for loot and I've killed numerous bandits and chiefs there. The locations reset after 48 hours so maybe try that and go back again.

Sounds like the best plan actually. Its a fairl easy place to clear if you've decent sneak levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Im stuck on enither in the theives guild he wants a staff I have the staff but got it before the quest and now it wont give me dialoge, hes a damn 7000 fence too :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

[
    Sounds like the best plan actually. Its a fairl easy place to clear if you've decent sneak levels.

Or if you're an absolute murdering machine in full daedric armour :D they must see me strolling up the hill with my angry face on and just think "aw **** not again" at this stage :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Im stuck on enither in the theives guild he wants a staff I have the staff but got it before the quest and now it wont give me dialoge, hes a damn 7000 fence too :mad:
    If you're playing on PC, you can use the console to complete the quest. The command is: CompleteQuest <quest id> but you have find the quest id for whichever one you're stuck on. There's also the "setstage", which completes a section of a quest, if there's more than one part to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

humanji wrote: »
    If you're playing on PC, you can use the console to complete the quest. The command is: CompleteQuest <quest id> but you have find the quest id for whichever one you're stuck on. There's also the "setstage", which completes a section of a quest, if there's more than one part to it.

Theres an alternative console option particularly for these get item quests that come up after you have them as it seems to happen a lot. Find the id for the item and type "player.drop itemid 1". The 1 is just the amount to drop which will almost always be 1. Then pick it up again and the quest should update properly and dialog options open up again. Feels more correct to my skyrim addled brain. The wiki is the best place to look for id info. as they will have notes on most quests and mention id numbers and so on. For example the id for the staff enithir wants is 00029b91.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

internet-memes-you-dont-just-wait-for-her-to-die1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

Was anybody else dissapointed with how the Dragonplate armour actually looks?

Finally got smithing up to 100 today and splashed out and now I just think I look like a bit of a Pieball.. (Well in comparison to the cool Epony gear I was wearing before).

I have Daedric unlocked also so will just knock up some of that kit now - but I was really looking forward to the Dragon stuff and today was just meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

RopeDrink wrote: »
    ...**** that, I deck Lydia out in full Flawless Heavy Armor (Generally Ebony as it looks awesome) with +Health (Armor / Rings etc), +HealthAbsorb (Weapon) and some Sneak (Because she's the noisiest woman in Skyrim when crouching, literally, even the resource site says she has quite literally no sneak) - Bitch can tank 3-4+ town guards for quite a long time before getting KO'd (And those are typically 3-4xHarder than, say, Bandits).

Used to find it a pain lugging her around, getting me stuck in narrow spaces or going off breaking my sneak-streak by charging forth valiantly into a room full of 5xVampires because she just feels like it... But then you get her above mentioned stats and she end up just taking all the flak for free so you can arrow everything in the back of the head with no repercussion.

I just wish I didn't marry her - I'm more inclined to leave her at home as a vendor/dumping station than bring her with me - And if you sell stuff to her, they eventually show up in her carried inventory if you make her a companion again, which overall aint a bad thing when you want free money, but a total **** when you don't want her carrying 500 weight around.

How did you marry her? I thought that was not an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

How did you marry her? I thought that was not an option?

Assume by not winning her as thane person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

She ran into my arrow, the tit.

Stilll....;_;

Skyrim-Diary-The-Love-Hate-Relationship-with-Lydia-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

If you own a house with a weapon rack you can place the staff on the rack and then pick it up again and the quest should update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Smithing hit 100 and now have legendary Daedric armour. It looks pretty sweet. I still want to enchant it though, and don't have that many soul gems to get my enchant way up before I slap some finality onto my armour. :(
    Wuuthrad is doing me well the whole time, I think my two-handed is something around 96 atm.
    I've 6 Daedric quests done and really want to do the others. After that it's the Civil War quest line and the main story. All the other major story arcs are done. I'm Lvl. 40 too. My aim is to stop playing once I get every achievement. It's a great game but I do want it to be over at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

Aaa this Black star/ Azura star quest is a real bitch !!!

I first attempted it when i was lvl 27 and got owned in the
    last part of the mission where you meet the guy inside the azura star. Those 2 daedras are next to impossible to beat.

I then waited till i was 32 and tried again,I still cant beat
    those 2 daedras ( not even one actually)

I tried using the sanguine rose like someone mentioned in this thread but i still cant seem to beat it.

Any suggestions? I am predominantly a one handed fighter/ conjuring wizard. I use them restoration spells too. I nearly threw the controller at my TV yesterday. !

Advertisement