Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

To anyone that bought the Collectors edition, are the statue and book worth the extra outlay? Saw it for 89 euro and considering buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shnoobies

I dont actually own the collectors edition but some of my friends have it and I was looking at it, Its well worth the money in my opinion. the statue is kick ass and the book is ridiculously amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

FutureGuy wrote: »
    To anyone that bought the Collectors edition, are the statue and book worth the extra outlay? Saw it for 89 euro and considering buying it.
    Yeah I love having Alduin look at me while I play and the soundtrack and extra stuffs are really cool.

oh new drinking game :cool:

internet-memes-skyrim-drinking-rules1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

About 90 hours in. Haven't started the main story or done the civil war quest and I think I'm all Skyrim'd out! I've had enough. Level 43 and the appeal has gone...... I'm free! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

reallyrose wrote: »
    Dragon attack in Winterhold College. Home of the magic of Skyrim, the greatest body of mages in the country.
    They ALL bog off leaving me to fight it. SOME loyalty to your Arch-mage there lads!

This happened to me too (only I'm not the Arch-Mage). I just had time to hear one of the cheeky elf mages say 'My money's on the big one', while it was landing and they all legged it leaving Lydia and I to deal with it with no magical intervention :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Can anyone tell me what the story is with horses in this game? I've so far bought two horses, both times I got off right outside the city gate in Whiterun and when I came back out the horse is gone and never shows up again. Quite early in the game so annoying to have wasted 2k on nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 barter1990

Probably shouldn't bother with horses, just steal one or fast travvel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

My first horse (he's dead now, after trying to take on 2 bears by himself) had a terrible habit of going after bandits. Especially the ones in that bridge with the 2 towers. He actually kept going inside the tower and trying to go up the stairs after them. I can't say I miss him.

Edit: Valtheim Towers is the name of the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,796 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Horses if Im not mistaken also allow you to fast travel while encumbered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Get Shadowmere. Twice the personality of that Lydia wan.......and amazingly effective in a dragon fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

where does shadowmere live?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not sold on the appeal of horses either, given the generally mountainous nature of Skyrim. I've only gotten one - that was randomly wandering around without an owner after one of the civil war battles - but it seemed spectacularly slow and threw itself off a cliff soon after :pac:

Can't afford a new one at the moment - spent all my money on a house to alleviate the pain in the arse weight restriction - but are they worth buying?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Not sold on the appeal of horses either, given the generally mountainous nature of Skyrim. I've only gotten one - that was randomly wandering around without an owner after one of the civil war battles - but it seemed spectacularly slow and threw itself off a cliff soon after :pac:

Can't afford a new one at the moment - spent all my money on a house to alleviate the pain in the arse weight restriction - but are they worth buying?

nah......just nab another one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I got my horse from doing a quest in Spoiler:
    Riften
    can't remember who I got the quest from though :) Basically spoiler:
    at the end of the quest, where I had to get this horse for a guy, I could either screw him over and intimidate him into letting me keep the horse and the money or just hand over the horse and he pay me like normal. Being a good citizen of Skyrim I screwed him over.
    And so now I have a horse for free :D

I make good use of Quicksave when travelling on my horse so if he does try flying off the top of a mountain or decides it's a good idea to fight a giant I can just reload.

I find the horse very useful for climbing mountains, he is much better at it than your character so he does come in extremely handy for that.
    He is faster than you at travelling so if your not into fast travel does help to cut quest times a bit.
    His stamina is much higher than your default stamina(which I haven't up'ed at all) so again speeds up travelling or helps when trying to out run that annoying bear that keeps eating your face.

Things I don't like about having a horse is he does do stealth, at all!! It gets very annoying and you can rely on him to just charge up to any nearby enemies and start a war.

Overall I like having a horse, but don't think it's worth paying a lot of money for. Unless you have 150k like me :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

where does shadowmere live?

In a small pong near The Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

hypermuse wrote: »
    I only just got my 1st decapitaiton kill there today (over 110hrs played) as I was a mage and never got to make hand to hand kills before!

Went all werewolf on some chaps ass and bit his head off! Lovely so twas!

Got to love the decaps though it is odd when you slice someones head off with a warhammer :|.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Horses I think are a bit pointless. Fast travel covers the speedy aspect. And in terms of venturing to a place for the first time, walking is usually more practical because you save yourself the growing frustration of having to park up and take an aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggeeeeeeee to get off the horse and get ready to fight whatever enemy you encountered.

I really wish they had taken a few tricks out of Mount and Blade's book and implemented mounted combat. That would have made horses worthwhile.

Actually horses are really good climbers, So when your at a point you cant climb too old horsey can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

The horses are pretty terrible. I just walk/run everywhere

Ah im not saying they are good. There should of been combat from horse back and maybe modled like the horses from assassins creed (which look and feel amazing) But the horses do help on rougher terrain.

• Advertisement

I ran up the side of the mountain near Whiterun to get to High Hrothgar on Frost. Took me the same time as the 7000 steps but I wasn't doing that poxy walk again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭windingo

If its your first time playing you really shouldn't use a guide, the open ended game play suits best experienced 'naked' if you will.

I love the game, i'm on my 5th play through and still find things popping up now and again that I didn't notice before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I had shadowmere but we fell down a small enough drop(I thought) and he broke my fall and his back.... And i thought he couldn't die.

I bought a horse near the start of the game and he lasted about 20 mins before a bear killed him, so i think they are pointless in this game in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    I had shadowmere but we fell down a small enough drop(I thought) and he broke my fall and his back.... And i thought he couldn't die.

I bought a horse near the start of the game and he lasted about 20 mins before a bear killed him, so i think they are pointless in this game in fairness.

I Know its been said countless times before in this thread.. but seriously.. Bears.. WTF??

Yea lets be honest here, Bears are bad ass and should be tough to kill but they are much more difficult to kill than a dragon!

When I was leveling up.. Bears were such a tough encounter to come out alive against.. and when faced against 2.. Run away!

But dragons have always been a stroll in the park.. even the ancient/elder ones!! dragons need to be made tougher, with additional attack modes.. All they have is breath/bite and bang with their tail/wings!

They should do some sweeping attacks where they try grab you etc!! once a dragon lands.. that's the end of him realistically soon to be nothing but scales and bones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I need two things from the mod makers when it comes to horses.

1) They need to stop charging at every joe soap I come across in the wild. I know they are not supposed to engage unless I engage with an enemy first but if the creature becomes aware of you in the distance, the horse will instantly charge off to fight. The last time this happened, I had gotten off the horse after spotting a troll in the distance. I wanted to try out my new set of light armor which had lots of sneak and stealth kill bonuses by trying to sneak up behind the troll for a throat cut kill! After fiddling with the menu for around a minute, drinking potions etc, the troll gets semi aware of me off in the distance. All I would have had to do was hide, but the feckin horse instantly charges off to fight him. :mad:

2) Call horse with a whistle. Really annoying when you get off and end up half a mile away from the horse, to have to retrace your steps to find him (or just fasttravel) Like in Red Dead, a whistle to call him to you would be a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

There's a command for that, player.modav carryweight 2000 or whatever number you want to put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Ah im not saying they are good. There should of been combat from horse back and maybe modled like the horses from assassins creed (which look and feel amazing) But the horses do help on rougher terrain.

Yeah its just personal preference really, I prefer staying in 1st person as well. Getting on/off the horse is just too clunky and slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

horses are great for getting good items that you find back to your house, being able to fast travel no matter how much you are holding is a godsend sometimes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

if you join the campanions,can you also join the dark brotherhood or is one or the other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

if you join the campanions,can you also join the dark brotherhood or is one or the other?
    Yep you can, you can be a member of any group concurrently.

Advertisement