Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Lads, I'm think I'm playing too much. I was walking through Grand Canal Dock this morning, past those flower-bed-things. I saw some white flowers and my brain thought "omg, tundra cotton! Grab it!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I just found the whole game very dull overall to be honest, gave it nearly 50 hours but just couldn't be bothered with it after a while. Great depth, detail etc obviously but as far as gameplay goes its very mediocre. I did very few side quests as 'go to random cave and collect random object' isn't in the slightest way appealing. Combat is far better than Oblivion but still poor and once you're above level 20 there's very little challenge in beating anything. As well as that, the world, despite looking great is incredibly dull and empty, travelling anywhere basically involved holding forward on the controller for 5 minutes at a time with little to see and do along the way

I'll probably go back to it after a while but playing the new Deus Ex at the moment which is holding my attention far better. Not too far into it yet but it seems a far better example of how side quests should be done with quality over quantity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I haven't played Skyrim yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

i just installed that for a alugh today. Makes the intro to the game hilarious. Almost as good as the macho man mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

RopeDrink wrote: »

For me to level beyond 50 (I'm about 48):

I'd have to get beaten up in Light Armor
    I'd have to get beaten up in Heavy Armor
    I'd have to beat people up with one-handed weapons
    I'd have to beat people up with two-handed weapons
    I'd have to use Shields
    I'd have to level up Conjuration, Alteration and finish off Destruction & Restoration.
    I'd have to bother my hole with Alchemy, by far a completely useless trait as potions really aren't required for me at all, not even health potions.
    I'd have to finish off Enchanting - I can live with this.

None of it appeals... I don't want to be lugging around multiple armor or weapon sets when I'm having 100% success with a basic light armor, a bow and a few spells - I've about 20k Septims, my own personal trader & donkey (Lydia) and repeatedly using all the above just to gain levels is a very dull concept, especially if you don't enjoy that style.

I'll probably level one-handed purely so I can backstab people via max-sneak but outside of that, meh meh and meh.

Don't need to level, don't benefit all too much from upgrades etc = Very stale game.

It reminds me of one of their REALLY ancient games, where you levelled all stats by simply repeating it. If you repeatedly jumped on the spot, for example, you'd gain stats in jumping, or swimming constantly = same deal... It's good on paper but as a basis for actually levelling up your character it bloody stinks.

Maybe levelling isnt the prime purpose of the game? If youre already perfectly happy with the progress and capability of your character why exactly do you need to level anymore? If youre bored of travelling about/dungeon delving/quests and the storyline then youre bored. +1 level isnt going to make it much more exciting.

The creation kit should be out with the next patch and with it some vastly more ambitious mods. Take a break and check back in a month or three when the first wave of mods are out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

NSFW - Lots of cursing! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Leeg17 wrote: »

That lad is a total nutjob ... we're talking completely bat**** crazy. But absolutely hilarious too though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Anyone else not finding the main storyline as compelling as Oblivion ?

Some areas of the game are much improved like i found the thieves guild storyline excellent in this game .
    The randomness you come across in this game is also excellent, but i dunno main storyline just isnt grabbing me the same way the oblivion one did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Oblivions main story was awful :confused:

Admittedly I haven't finished the main story but Oblivion was basically repeat the same gate 20 times then see a a ****ty ending movie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Haven't played it in a week or so, like RopeDrink said, without level progression it gets stale (trying to level passed 51 for fookin ages!!!).

What they need to do is make areas crazy hard. Like going from A-B, grand if you stick to the road, if you go through forests it should be stupid hard with random hard battles (bears = never a problem for me), mountains should be harder, dungeons crazy hard. That's the problem with this game, everywhere is easy after a certain point.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah if only they introduced some level scaling or something...
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Harps wrote: »
    Oblivions main story was awful :confused:

Admittedly I haven't finished the main story but Oblivion was basically repeat the same gate 20 times then see a a ****ty ending movie
    Besides the rinse and repeat gate quests, i thought the storyline arc was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

You're missing my point. My gripe is with the levelling system being completely uninteresting from level 1. You HAVE to repeat X process to gain skillpoints, which in turn up your level progress. This is a very unrewarding levelling system when mixed with the stupid Fallout 3 PERKS idea they seem to love so much.
    In fairness, you are making level progression a focal point of your gaming experience. Basically you just dislike the type of gameplay delivered by Bethesda and I agree Skyrim gets boring after about 30-40 hours unless you like just exploring the gaming world without any real purpose. That's fine for some but I like my games with a bit more focus.

People talk about mods but they're usually just pointless additions that adds very little and just gives people who like this kind of game more random stuff to do. I'd just move on, find a different game...have you tried Dark Souls? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Ropedrink - Am I right in saying the main issue you seem to have is that the game became too easy for you very early on. No difference between level 20 and 50 for example. Did you play it from the beginning on Master and did you do much gaming of the leveling system (like spamming those iron daggers?)

For me personally, I played the majority of my 150 hours on Adept, only moving up to Master once I hit level 40. Even at that, I entered afew dungeons that I couldnt handle when I was a low level and was forced to drop to easy so that I could make it out alive. I did a little iron dagger spamming in order to get my smithing up as I played a heavy armour warrior type. Other than that I leveled naturally and Id say at a slower than average pace (lvl 53 now after all those hours) Only now late on when I have some high stats and perks in the warrior specializations am I finding the game a pushover.

I cant agree with you that leveling doesnt progress your character or allow you to diversify. I think the perk system is wonderful for this very reason. I focused a lot on the Block and Archery skill trees and the perks in those made a huge difference to the game. Where before I was getting my ass handed to me by every 2 bit bandit, I could now batter them to a pulp with the shield, block arrows, get magic resistance bonuses (which saved my life numerous times against mages I would otherwise not have a hope against)
    Similarly the progression of Archery allowed me to zoom in on targets, recover more arrows from corpses etc etc.

I have to admit, Im not a hardcore RPG aficionado, I doubt I'll ever drive myself to drink by attempting Dark Souls, and these Bethesda games are probably more geared to getting people like me on board. Id imagine your best bet with a game like Skyrim is to avoid power leveling of any kind, actually avoid distributing perks and play the game on Master from Day 1. If it still doesnt challenge you after that, you are just way to hardcore for this game!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Steam users can get the 1.4 patch early by activating the beta participation in the Steam settings. Apparently, it give the game a fair performance boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Agricola wrote: »
    Id imagine your best bet with a game like Skyrim is to avoid power leveling of any kind, actually avoid distributing perks and play the game on Master from Day 1.

I'd say you are on the money with this; if you read many of the negative player reviews posted on Metacritic or similar places, they are often from power-gamers who maybe ignored the 'RP' part of RPG and subsequently found themselves relatively godlike at too early a level, making the rest of the game a pushover. Much more fun to go about it a whole different way IMHO (just ignore the 'easy' ways to level up or deliberately play a weaker character) and try to restrain the power-gaming instincts within us all :) I'm still getting my ass handed to me very regularly at level 20, long may it continue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I've only just gotten back into this game and I have done barely any quests (only done the main quest to completion). I haven't got all the time in the world like I used to have so what are the best quests that I should go and do ASAP?

My favourites so far are: the drinking/hangover quest, mystery murder in lighthouse, intercepting a trade ship near solitude... can't think of any others right now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Grimebox wrote: »
    I've only just gotten back into this game and I have done barely any quests (only done the main quest to completion). I haven't got all the time in the world like I used to have so what are the best quests that I should go and do ASAP?

My favourites so far are: the drinking/hangover quest, mystery murder in lighthouse, intercepting a trade ship near solitude... can't think of any others right now
    Have you done the theives guild yet? Its great to get all the fences in the different cities, and really helps unload all the crap you acure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Leeg17 wrote: »
    UNARMED BADASS VIKING

I know what my next build is going to be.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Forsworn Briarhearts, bejaysus but them double wielding a sword and an axe is tough. Can one hit me on occasion and I'm level 37, ends up taking a few tries to beat them

• Advertisement

401495_10151206131000361_818535360_22444614_1476757535_n.jpg

lolglitch. That poor poor horse.

Have you done the theives guild yet? Its great to get all the fences in the different cities, and really helps unload all the crap you acure.

Fences?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Put this game down before Christmas and I came back to it last week. My previous sneak archer was far too easy, even on the harder difficulties, so I started a new game.

High elf mage, no armour except robes and no ABSOLUTELY NO power levelling. Takes the fun out of the game. I'm also exploring the lesser know skill trees like alchemy and speech, just for the craic and the game is blowing my socks off yet again. :D:D:D

Fences - People capable of flogging off stolen goods.

In Skyrim, you cannot sell items you have stolen without speech perks which makes them hard to unload unless you can use them in some profession like Enchanting, Blacksmithing etc

Once you unlock Fences you have a big supply of people around the world who'll be more than happy to buy your stolen garbage.

Oh I see. I have the speech perks so I've never come across this yet I never get my money over more than 5k somehow.

Has anyone had issues with the second White Phial quest?
    I have my mammoth tusk powder and my .. whatever that other thing was. It's the Briar Heart I'm having trouble with. I have about 9 of them and the stupid apprentice is still giving me the speech option for "Tell me about XX" What a jerk.

I figure it's fubared like the Needlebone quest. :(
    I wouldn't mind so much but I hate having an unfinished quest staring at me, taunting...

On a side note, when you've accepted the first White Phial quest but before you complete it, when you go back to the shop the shopkeeper says "Phial, you fool!" in a grouchy Gandalf voice. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Forsworn Briarhearts, bejaysus but them double wielding a sword and an axe is tough. Can one hit me on occasion and I'm level 37, ends up taking a few tries to beat them
    Sneak up and pickpocket a briar heart from their inventory. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Grimebox wrote: »
    Fences?

People who deal with stolen goods

Only starting to use my bow the last few days. Its fair annoying starting off but once ya level up a bit it's grand. My sneak is even levelling up now and all. Bout fecking time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

reallyrose wrote: »
    Has anyone had issues with the second White Phial quest?
    I have my mammoth tusk powder and my .. whatever that other thing was. It's the Briar Heart I'm having trouble with. I have about 9 of them and the stupid apprentice is still giving me the speech option for "Tell me about XX" What a jerk.

I figure it's fubared like the Needlebone quest. :(
    I wouldn't mind so much but I hate having an unfinished quest staring at me, taunting...

On a side note, when you've accepted the first White Phial quest but before you complete it, when you go back to the shop the shopkeeper says "Phial, you fool!" in a grouchy Gandalf voice. :D

I haven't done it but I've heard about badly bugged that one can be. If you're on Steam you can opt in to the beta trial of the current Skyrim patch which addresses that issue, among others.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/24/skyrim-patch-1-4-beta-available-now/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

The game runs so much smoother now (especially in towns) with the latest patch :D Graphics seem to be a fair bit sharper as well.

Advertisement