Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Trevor451 wrote: »
    I am 137 hours in on skyrim and I still don't know how to trap souls inside soul gems :o:D
    Neither do I :D

Cast a soul trap spell on something then kill it or kill something using a weapon that has a soul trap enchantment then you get it's soul if you have an empty soul gem in your inventory. Simple!
    However the you can only collect a soul from a human/elf/orc/khajit etc if you have a black soul gem, regular soul gems only work on animals and monsters.

You'll know you got the soul because there's a very noticeable sound and visual effect so if nothing happens it's likely that you don't have the appropriate gem for the soul or perhaps the soul trap spell wore off before the target died.

Good chart here for the soul strength of various creatures: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Souls

Trevor451 wrote: »
    also the "surprise" Bethesda is rumored to be a
    HD texture pack
    :D
    Well I was hoping for mudcrab armour but I can live with that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

A HD texture pack would be fantastic. The mods for this are great, but they are very early days yet.

Actually, the fan made HD texture packs are looking pretty awesome already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I killed that little ****er......and I enjoyed it as well. ¬_¬

I couldn't do it. You know that power you get that raises a ghost of an ancient assassin? Well he tells you that the spirits does not approve of killing him and that there is a plan for him. Good enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Grimebox wrote: »
    I couldn't do it. You know that power you get that raises a ghost of an ancient assassin? Well he tells you that the spirits does not approve of killing him and that there is a plan for him. Good enough for me

i did the exact same thing. havent played through again to see if it makes a difference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Had a great moment last night

Im playing a wood elf archer/thief, master difficulty. Ive been robbing left right and center. I was roaming around the middle of no where when I get ambushed by 3 Thalmor with an execution order, I have no way in hell of killing them and the justicar has taken me down to 25% hp with 2 hits, so I start running up a hill. Things get worse when 4/5 mercs (hired to kill me for stealing) appear and start running toward me from the top of the hill. Ive almost committed to reloading a save from 10mins ago. But the justicar hits one of the mercs and the mercs direction suddenly turns from me, to the Thalmor.
    I hide behind a rock as I watch the slaughter. Fireballs, arrows, lighning bolts and bodies are flying everywhere. After watching for a good 2 mins, only 1 survives and he is on less than half health. Sneak attack arrow to the noggin, dead.
    Went down and collected the spoils of war :D

I did my first playthrough as warrior and I found it got very boring toward the end. Ive tried mage briefly and didnt like it. Someone on another forum mentioned archer/thief was the most fun class and I have to agree, I cant remember when I had this much fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Creature wrote: »
    Can't wait for the creation kit tomorrow. Do you think it'll be possible to make anything without programming experience? I'd love to make my own sprawling dungeon/cavern.

Also there'll be a "surprise" with the the creation kit.

http://twitter.com/#!/DCDeacon/status/165536529895272449
    I've done a few levels, armour and weapon mods for Fallout 3 & New Vegas (simple, stupid stuff like a like a silenced AM Rifle with a base damage of 100 :D ) and it was easy enough to get to grips with. No programming knowledge is required for basic level mods. I did find the GECK mouse and view controls awkward coming from a mainly UnrealEd background but it's just a case of getting used to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Creature wrote: »
    Cast a soul trap spell on something then kill it or kill something using a weapon that has a soul trap enchantment then you get it's soul if you have an empty soul gem in your inventory. Simple!
    However the you can only collect a soul from a human/elf/orc/khajit etc if you have a black soul gem, regular soul gems only work on animals and monsters.

You'll know you got the soul because there's a very noticeable sound and visual effect so if nothing happens it's likely that you don't have the appropriate gem for the soul or perhaps the soul trap spell wore off before the target died.

Good chart here for the soul strength of various creatures: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Souls

Well I was hoping for mudcrab armour but I can live with that.

Yeah, best thing I ever did was to enchant a bow with soul trap when I was a low level character. Hit an enemy with an arrow from this bow and if they die within a specific time (10/15 seconds) the soul will be captured for you, even if they get killed by another npc, creature or follower.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

RopeDrink wrote: »
    @The Question about needing programming skills to be efficient with the construction tool - No.

I'm sure it's of benefit but most construction kits do not require you to have any other knowledge other than a bit of creativity, patience and understanding of the game.

I never completed Morrowind but I played it for quite a bit - Then I booted up the construction kit and made my very own mod for it, including a new race, new enemies and sub quests... Never finished it but having no experience of the engine or programming didn't stop me.

Same with the ancient but golden Starcraft or Broodwar Campaign Editors. I made my own RPG out of Broodwar for heavens sake. Sure, I've been modding for donkeys years and made my own game, CS maps, mods for countless games etc but even that doesn't step me above anyone else in terms of construction kits.

I strongly suggest anyone with a love for the game GET the kit and put some time into it. What makes a game very replayable is the fact you, yourself, can add your own **** into it - Trust me, if you have the mindset, it's a hell of a lot of fun looking at your own creations.

You've just inspired me to start modding :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I feel sorry for you xbox 360 and PS3 owners :D

HD texture pack now on steam D: 3GB in size.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/202485/

Debating whether or not to install this. It might kill my pc, which can already struggle in certain areas. Great to see them releasing it for free though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

Ye iv been thinking that but unfortunately my student budget is stopping me,maybe I should wait for a complete edition even though I'm sure it's a while away yet

well looks like my mind was made up for me, nice.

also as said in the post above, will this new HD pack cripple the game on me, is there anyway of checking?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I guess its only worth getting the dlc if you have a HD Screen? I downloaded the creation kit,gotta study it now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Game servers are too busy to DL the texture pack :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Does anyone have a side by side comparison of the HD pack?:o

Not any comparison shots yet afaik. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the fan made hd pacsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Is there anyway out of downloading this texture pack if you have it listed as installed DLC on steam? I added it, but after trying to launch the game, it says the servers are too busy.

I can start the game with another exe anyway, but If I wanted to opt out now before it downloads, is there a file that can be deleted in the Steam directory to stop it from pending?

Steam servers seem to be ok now. Downloading pack atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Mother of god i bought this on steam for 50 euro not 6 hours ago and now its 33 damn you steam damn you to hell

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TheSheepz

Now that the creation kit is out I can get around to making 100 metre long, fire-breathing horkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Portal 2 tie-in mod, created by Valve. This must be the surprise.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=7375

"Dad, are you Dragons?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Hmm, is the stuff for the workshop going to be moderated at all? I can see it getting pretty chock full of junk if not, considering pretty much every modsite ususally does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

A pity he is not a companion... :/

Just bought myself Skyrim for €25, And Oblivion Deluxe for €6.50... I love coupons:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

This is why I love mods, never have to hear this again

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=7442

Steam wrote:
    Also, since Skyrim was the only major release of 2011 without Nolan North in it, you should consider this mod a patch to fix that problem. You can now feel free to include Skyrim in the "Nolan North" section of your video game library, which is to say, your video game library

Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

ShaneU wrote: »
    This is why I love mods, never have to hear this again

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=7442

I imagine someone will release one with ONLY that text as spoken dialogue.....and this someone must never breed.

There are already some excellent mods up there, and looking forward to seeing how well the auto-patcher works with them. Really looks like it will make modding your game easier. Wonder how well it will work with the likes of OOO or MMM, which drastically change the game. They were never exactly stable before, so it'll be interesting to see how Steam handles them.
    Nevore wrote: »
    Hmm, is the stuff for the workshop going to be moderated at all? I can see it getting pretty chock full of junk if not, considering pretty much every modsite ususally does.
    There will be plenty of ****, but they'll end up with crap ratings. Search by popularity, and you'll find the good mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

PC Gamer have a list of some of their favourite mods so far. Thank god for the mudcrab fix. I don't think I could have gone another day seeing them without their top hats.

how do you go about making a video like this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Quit your day job :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

that was pretty epic!! very cool!

Advertisement