Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Funny to see people getting hooked again. I played it a ton when it first came out then parked for a month. Then back again. It's that kinda game, all or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

quarryman wrote: »
    Funny to see people getting hooked again. I played it a ton when it first came out then parked for a month. Then back again. It's that kinda game, all or nothing.
    Exactly. I played my first playthrough, then immediately began another with a different play style and then another different one again which I never finished. Hence the 320 + hours! I did the same with ME. After I finished ME3 I stared again with 1 then 2 and I'm just finishing 3 now again.

I have way too much free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I played for a few months and then put it away for another few but then came back to it
    now it is resting again until I get back into it again
    I'm loving some of the mods, especially the sex one :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sex mod eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

So there was a new update just released there over last few days..

Anyone find that the game just crashes when you try to go underwater????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

New update coming out for xbox owners soon which enables voice commands with kinect

Only thing that impressed me is the ability to now quick load/save which was not in the console version AFAIK?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Having just started to watch Game of Thrones, I got a powerful urge to give this another go last night despite my largely negative impressions towards it.

Realised, once again, how much I despise the repetitive, characterless dungeon crawling in the game.

N64 wrote: »
    New update coming out for xbox owners soon which enables voice commands with kinect

Only thing that impressed me is the ability to now quick load/save which was not in the console version AFAIK?

hmm, i have my doubts as to the speed at which those actions are carried out. Surely the quick load wouldn't load that quick?

quarryman wrote: »
    hmm, i have my doubts as to the speed at which those actions are carried out. Surely the quick load wouldn't load that quick?

no most likely not but they are hardly going to just leave the load screen for 15 secs in the trailer now!

looks really impressive.. I'm on PS3 unfort..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

I'm sure you can bind the specific comands to certain keys on a keyboard. I wonder will the kinect support be released for the PC version (considering that their is a windows specific kinect unit available?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Having just started to watch Game of Thrones, I got a powerful urge to give this another go last night despite my largely negative impressions towards it.

Realised, once again, how much I despise the repetitive, characterless dungeon crawling in the game.

I wonder was it directly inspired by Game of Thrones when they were making it? Another thing I find about the game is how depressing and gloomy it is. Everything is either dark grey or dark blue. It always seems to be night time (I purposefully wait how many hours for the sun to rise) and in general everything just feels a bit cold and misreable, which kinda defeats the point of a game being escapist fantasy, given that the northern hemisphere of this world is generally cold and dark and misreable. I attribute this to the current lets make everything dark craze.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wonder was it directly inspired by Game of Thrones when they were making it? Another thing I find about the game is how depressing and gloomy it is. Everything is either dark grey or dark blue. It always seems to be night time (I purposefully wait how many hours for the sun to rise) and in general everything just feels a bit cold and misreable, which kinda defeats the point of a game being escapist fantasy, given that the northern hemisphere of this world is generally cold and dark and misreable. I attribute this to the current lets make everything dark craze.

Meh, it's all just generic, overwrought fantasy at the end of the day ;). Although the stylistic and tonal similarities between Skyrim and Game of Thrones are likely too deep to be mere coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Meh, it's all just generic, overwrought fantasy at the end of the day ;). Although the stylistic and tonal similarities between Skyrim and Game of Thrones are likely too deep to be mere coincidence.

Agree, there is very little originality in Skyrim. Morrowind at least didn't feel like a conventional rpg as its landscapes and settings were outlandish. I quickly got very bored with Oblivion because it moved in a very conventional direction, and Skyrim I'm just forcing myself to play through. I would like to see a big budget rpg set in Ancient Rome with beautiful graphics and good gameplay, that would be awesome and a break from the norm.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There are some great collections available on Steam Workshop. Just subscribe to the collection, and it will download and install all the mods in said collection. Perfect for anyone interested in getting some great mods with no hassle.

Kiith wrote: »
    There are some great collections available on Steam Workshop. Just subscribe to the collection, and it will download and install all the mods in said collection. Perfect for anyone interested in getting some great mods with no hassle.

Tried out the workshop yesterday and it was slow and laborious picking out mods. How do I subscribe to these "collections"?

Edit: forget it, tab at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

I got bored so stuck in oblivion for the laugh, the dungeon/forts are unreal how alike they all are. The skyrm ones can be tedious be theres always some amazing part to one most of the times like a big cavern with waterfall and howlng wind etc... I really wish they had more kinds of enemies in them, the dragur are pretty boring at this point..

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JTER

Funny you should say that about GoT. Bethesda were in talks to make a Game of Thrones game but they decided to go with their own IP.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/15/bethesda-tempted-by-a-game-of-thrones-adaptation/

I wish GRRM knew more about videogames instead of jumping into bed with Cyanide. Would have loved to see a Mount & Blade style Song of Ice and Fire game. Failing that a Westeros : Total War with more work done on the line of succession, subterfuge and espionage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

JTER wrote: »
    Funny you should say that about GoT. Bethesda were in talks to make a Game of Thrones game but they decided to go with their own IP.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/15/bethesda-tempted-by-a-game-of-thrones-adaptation/

I wish GRRM knew more about videogames instead of jumping into bed with Cyanide. Would have loved to see a Mount & Blade style Song of Ice and Fire game. Failing that a Westeros : Total War with more work done on the line of succession, subterfuge and espionage.

That would be absolutely brilliant.

So with that new skyrim patch (2.04) the game kept freezing when ever I tried to go underwater.. Was very annoying as I was doing the last thieves guild mission over the weekend and you need to be able to swim realistically!

Deleted the patch and reinstalled and it works no but i have to say all the stress was worth it! my god the underwater effects look spectacular now!! They really are multiple time better!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

JTER wrote: »
    It's not M&B but if you're looking for medieval intrigue then I'm sure that it's only a matter of time before a SOIAF mod is released for Crusader Kings II

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I never knew you could poison arrows with different potions :o

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

N64 wrote: »
    I'm sure you can bind the specific comands to certain keys on a keyboard. I wonder will the kinect support be released for the PC version (considering that their is a windows specific kinect unit available?)
    If it's only voice commands (and I'm assuming most of that would just be Shouts?) that are added with the Kinect support (I'm unable to check the video atm, damned college filters!), you could look into the ThuuMic mod

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

The game crashes when I jump into deep water. :(

PS3, latest patch.

Anybody else having this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I had that problem too. You have to delete all the game data (not your saves obviously) and just re-install it all again.

Yea same for me.. I just deleted the patch in game data (2.04 i think) and then reinstalled it when prompted to (when you start up the game again)...

1st thing I did was dive into a big pool and holy god it looks fantastic! totally worth the stress of crashing 20 times! The underwater effects are beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

Thanks lads. I deleted the patch and the game data, reinstalled, then it wasn't long before my khajiit was having a swim. :D

Then he got cold and sat by the fire at the nearest inn... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

Apparently the first dlc or atleast one of em, will involve the snow elves (dwemer) or what we most know em as the falmer which is pretty fookin awesome as i found the dwemer ruins and especially blackreach to be the most interesting points of the games. Twill be interesting :D

• Advertisement

Advertisement