Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

im kinda the same way
    i'm reasonably sure if I started it up again I'd enjoy it soon enough but watching that video I was just.. bored.

I'd actually play oblivion again before skyrim I think.
    looks beautiful sure but once the newness has worn off it just isn't that great.

Imo the environments are by far the biggest thing it has going for it. The story doesn't exist really, the quests aren't especially interesting, the combat is boring. Great world though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

im kinda the same way
    i'm reasonably sure if I started it up again I'd enjoy it soon enough but watching that video I was just.. bored.

looks beautiful sure but once the newness has worn off it just isn't that great.
    Yeah you say that now, but start playing Oblivion again and you'll be saying the same about that.

I recently started playing Oblivion again and I didn't go near the main quest at all. It's the only way I could face it. I played through Skyrim the same way and FO3 and NV. I look at the main quest in these games as a sort of push to get you out there exploring but the main meat of the game is the side quests and faction quests. All four games have no real story (at least one worth bothering with) but they do have an interesting backstory.

I've "finished" Skyrim 4 times and I'm still looking forward to the DLC. I don't mind waiting either because there's so many cool mods to try out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

im kinda the same way

Well yes, I partially agree: the story and drama the trailer uses is fairly ho-hum, I doubt many people are stoked about the Mythic Dawn coming back, but Skyrim / Oblivion are experiences where the strength is in the journey, not the destination. I doubt I could name half a dozen characters from Skyrim, but the quests, and my personal stories around those quests? Oh boy, there's the enjoyment right there.

So this trailer has me excitement because my favorite sandbox of recent years has new toys to play around in it with :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Shiminay wrote: »
    Yea, I wonder how long they'll make the rest of us wait for it?

I have been hearing a month! Absolutely ridiculous if that is the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

So theres 2 sides to the dlc pretty kick ass, so much happening in the trailer cant wait to hear more details!

Was hoping it would take place outside of skyrim but looks like we're staying put..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

They might with the second DLC (ala Shivering Isles and Winter.....fell? helm? Lord I can't remember.....)

Xbox players can get Dawnguard for free if they're accepted to test the beta. Info here.

Yeah I applied for it yesterday, wouldnt mind getting in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

They might with the second DLC (ala Shivering Isles and Winter.....fell? helm? Lord I can't remember.....)

It's Windhelm, Winterfell is from the Game of Thrones ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My girlfriend, who doesn't usually play games, just got the Platinum trophy in Skyrim. I had promised to take her out to a big fancy dinner if she got it, thinking she never would, so I think i was just platinum burnt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

sheehy83 wrote: »
    My girlfriend, who doesn't usually play games, just got the Platinum trophy in Skyrim. I had promised to take her out to a big fancy dinner if she got it, thinking she never would, so I think i was just platinum burnt!

I've to finsih the Thieves Guild - Return to Glory and I'll ahve got mine too, I just cant bring myself to doing the same things over and over, I keep putting it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bugger. I put too many mods onto my game and now none of my savegames will load. Can't even start a new game. Going to have to figure out which one caused the problem... urgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

They better hurry up with the dlc, i'm running out of quests. 160 hours now on 1 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cillo rs200

Bugger. I put too many mods onto my game and now none of my savegames will load. Can't even start a new game. Going to have to figure out which one caused the problem... urgh.

Dave if you have it on steam just erase them all and use the collections tab in the workshop. The mods in the collections are usually selected so they don't conflict, so there shouldn't be an issue. I had the same problem and that fixed it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I have Steam. I also use the Nexus. Some of the mods there are better. But I see the point about the Steam Workshop. No-conflicts would be expected. Ah I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I finally took this out of its plastic wrapper last night and installed it to the PS3.

As someone who loved Fallout 3 and NV but had a hard time getting into Oblivion I have to ask for some context now that I have started.

I chose to be an imperial at the start, if that matters.

Now I know we are in a province of the world (world called oblivion?) called Skyrim. There appears to be a war going on between the ruling forces and some rebels.

I have only just escaped execution and have been heading west butchering as I go - amazing how much prettier everything is compared to Oblivion I have to say.

noodler wrote: »
    I finally took this out of its plastic wrapper last night and installed it to the PS3.

As someone who loved Fallout 3 and NV but had a hard time getting into Oblivion I have to ask for some context now that I have started.

I chose to be an imperial at the start, if that matters.

Now I know we are in a province of the world (world called oblivion?) called Skyrim. There appears to be a war going on between the ruling forces and some rebels.

I have only just escaped execution and have been heading west butchering as I go - amazing how much prettier everything is compared to Oblivion I have to say.
    Skyrim is a province of a continent called Tamriel which is basically one big empire. The empire is rulled from the Imperial City which is in another province called Cyrodiil (this where Oblivion took place). Tamriel itself is on a planet called Nirn. Oblivion is a different plane of existence and is home to the Daedra and the daedric princes who are basically demi-gods.

The war in Skyrim is between rebels who wish for Skyrim to leave the empire and the empire itself.

For a more complete backstory, you should visit the Elder Scrolls wiki or UESP. They may also be helpful in solving any bugs you might encounter.

I think I heard your able to change your physical appearence through some guy in the thieves guild with the new dlc or maybe it was the most recent patch, its the small things like that that are cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Conor125

That would be very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Wait. Since when can you fight on horse back? :eek: Played it today, and for once didn't have to get off my horse when those damn pesky wolves attacked. Or did I download a mod by accident? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

swiftblade wrote: »
    Wait. Since when can you fight on horse back? :eek: Played it today, and for once didn't have to get off my horse when those damn pesky wolves attacked. Or did I download a mod by accident? :confused:
    I noticed a big update coming in for this yesterday when I fired it up - must be the latest patch!

I also subscribed to a good few graphical improvement mods yesterday (better water, lamps on bridges and in towns, loads of better textures, etc...) and the game looked even more stunning as a result. Coming up to 130 hours in and I'm still enjoying it, just starting the Civil War questline now - think I'm level 51 and 2/3rds of the way through the main quest, with the mages, thieves and dark brotherhood questlines complete.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Patch 1.6 added mounted combat. Was released last week iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Kiith wrote: »
    Patch 1.6 added mounted combat. Was released last week iirc.

I thought that was just a beta patch in Steam or has the full patch been released to everyone?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Full patch is out, yea. Mounted combat it ok, handy when it's something small like a wolf and one swing of an axe butchers it, but something bigger, you're as well off getting off the horse and fighting it properly.

Full patch is out, yea. Mounted combat it ok, handy when it's something small like a wolf and one swing of an axe butchers it, but something bigger, you're as well off getting off the horse and fighting it properly.

I found it very handy for killing a troll at a low level. Just keep running around it, while firing arrows from horse back. :)

ah, arrows. Bless... I'm not a milk-drinker, I have a Skyforged Steel battle axe :p

ah, arrows. Bless... I'm not a milk-drinker, I have a Skyforged Steel battle axe :p

There's actaully a mod you can download that lets you drink milk. I was tempted...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

So I'm a bit late to the party but I'm finally getting around to actually putting some proper time into this game.

What mod(s) would you recommend for first time play or should I just start with vanilla version and mod it as I go along?

So I'm a bit late to the party but I'm finally getting around to actually putting some proper time into this game.

What mod(s) would you recommend for first time play or should I just start with vanilla version and mod it as I go along?
    SkyUI because you're playing on a PC not an Xbox and A Quality World Map. Maybe Ultimate Follower Overhaul too if you're using followers a lot. I don't know if they're all available through Steam - I got them on the Nexus.

• Advertisement

Convenient Horses is great - you can store stuff in the horse, command it to stay or follow, jump off it quickly (drawing your weapon if there's an enemy near by) and if your horse is lost, you have a special horse call that brings it to you. You can also gather ingredients or have conversations without having to get off (although this can get annoying if you've a weapon equipped now that there's horseback combat as you use the mouse keys for it).

Advertisement