Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Varied wrote: »
    Haven't tried smithing, how and where do I go?
    There's a forge or anvil in each town. When you activate a forge, you'll see what types of armour/weapons you can make. If you select a specific item you'll see exactly what materials you need to make them, like leather, leather strips, iron ore etc. More types of armour/weapons can be unlocked through perks. As you become more skilled, you can refine weapons and armour as well.

Raw materials can be found in the wild - leather from bear or wolf pelts etc and ore from mines. You can buy materials from blacksmiths too if you're stuck or don't want to bother hunting them down yourself. Read more here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Varied wrote: »
    Haven't tried smithing, how and where do I go?

Good thread for newbies on the Elder Scolls forum including some info. on smithing, levelling etc. - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056492911

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The last thing you want to do if you are already finding it tough is to artificially level up. Power levelling Blacksmithing can leave you in a really tough spot, as you'll be fighting higher level enemies , with low level combat skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

Vampire lord form is very very cool, will do the dawguard side of it with my second charecter once I play through the vampire side, initial looks are good :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

im kinda in the same boat re the dlc
    getting a 1440p 27 inch monitor and a 670 next week (i hope) so Ill probably install skyrim again witha few mods, but instead of doing any quests im just gona spend a few days loading it up and walking around admiring the scenery for a few hours.. then around when dawnguard comes out Ill probably start a new character

one thing im upset about which has nothing to do with the game itself.. I can't do what you're doing.
    I can't just go play a 2 hander, or a stealth/archer.. its the same with any rpg style game I play. I play the character I enjoy playing the most and I just dont enjoy the others
    even severance: blade of darkness, ive played it about 6-7 times.. always as the knight. i tried the barbarian and the woman a few times but never got more than a few hours in before restarting again as the knight.

• Advertisement

yeah, the game wasn't balanced terribly well for the god characters

i remember reading people with incredibly high sneak were able to shoot soimeone with an arrow, crouch in front of them in full view and still be hidden, so theyd get a nice sneak bonus with their next attack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

If people are finding the game too easy and have a PC I recommend checking out Skyrim Nexus for mods. I have a bunch installed and makes the experience that little bit better. Have mods that have harder dragons, multiple dragons fighting you at the same time etc.

There is also a mod called 'Monsters' which adds a whole new bunch of monsters to the game and 'boss' like monsters that are scaled HUGE in size. Imagine fighting a Fire Giant that is taller than 3 or 4 dragons. Admittedly some of the Monsters are taken straight out of STALKER as well (which some mods for games tend to do)

Warzones is another mod that adds random battles between Stormcloak and Imperial Soldiers. It allows you to increase the spawn rate of creatures as well

Plenty on there worth looking into

Admittedly some of the Monsters are taken straight out of STALKER as well (which some mods for games tend to do)

please dont be psuedodogs

Thankfully not that iv seen :D

The Mod from what iv seen has added the Mutant Boars, Blood suckers (without the camo though) and one or two other Monsters from STALKER I can't remember the name of them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

If people are finding the game too easy and have a PC I recommend checking out Skyrim Nexus for mods. I have a bunch installed and makes the experience that little bit better. Have mods that have harder dragons, multiple dragons fighting you at the same time etc.

There is also a mod called 'Monsters' which adds a whole new bunch of monsters to the game and 'boss' like monsters that are scaled HUGE in size. Imagine fighting a Fire Giant that is taller than 3 or 4 dragons. Admittedly some of the Monsters are taken straight out of STALKER as well (which some mods for games tend to do)

Warzones is another mod that adds random battles between Stormcloak and Imperial Soldiers. It allows you to increase the spawn rate of creatures as well

Oh I must check these mods out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone know when Dawnguard is due out on PS3?

Also, Oblivion GOTY or 5th year anniversary seems to be very hard to find in local shops, anyone seen it around?

i've never seen it anywhere other than online

10 sterling on pc, 15 sterling on xbox on amazon.co.uk

shipping is only 2-3 days with amazon, so you should have it monday if you order anytime before friday

i've never seen it anywhere other than online

10 sterling on pc, 15 sterling on xbox on amazon.co.uk

shipping is only 2-3 days with amazon, so you should have it monday if you order anytime before friday

Thank you Sir, yeah, 15 sterling on PS3 as well. I see Gamesnash have 5th Anniversary edition for 18.99, with free delivery, think I'll just go with them.

http://gamestop.ie/SearchResult/QuickSearch?q=oblivion+anniversary

roughly equivelant prices here on gamestop.ie, they take laser and you'll likely have it friday as i think they ship from Ireland so next day post

--edit

ah, gamesnash. grand stuff :)
    enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

How is the ps3 version now after the updates. I traded it in the last time due to the glitching. I hear there's been a few updates in the last few months. Has it improved considerably i.e playable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Haven't seen much mention of Dawnguard in this thread, but its great. So far I've encountered very, very few bugs for a DLC so early in its release date. My game only froze once (but whether or not that was Dawnguard's fault I have no idea).

One problem- the DLC is very hard. There is a section where
    you fight two dragons on a massive ice field and are almost constantly out in the open against these two very strong dragons who kept killing me very quickly.
    The plot is very interesting and there are numerous surprises
    such as when you meet a living snow elf and I believe I am going to meet the Snow Prince soon where I am. A large section of the game is set underground in a massive cave system infested by Falmer, spiders and Chaurus but you intermittently go outside into huge hidden valleys filled with unique animals and creatures.
    The vampire lord seems pretty much like the clumsy werewolf but with spells but I'm going Dawnguard so that doesn't really matter.

Its pretty scary and unsettling at times too. The Soul Cairn is unnerving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

cursai wrote: »
    How is the ps3 version now after the updates. I traded it in the last time due to the glitching. I hear there's been a few updates in the last few months. Has it improved considerably i.e playable

It's running fine for me anyway. No freezing during gameplay anymore.

It does still hang a little sometimes when I open the menu and it autosaves but no big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Went to start the dlc last night and stopped after 2 hours, I hadn't played Skyrim since I finished it 6 months ago so between being rusty, learning the controls, sorting the clutter out of my full inventory(425 weight) and my usual rambling about the place I got nothing done :D

I was amazed at how after getting all the achievements, doing all the factions etc. I still have over 50 active quests to do :eek:

I'm just going to de-activate them :D

cursai wrote: »

Yeah, the PS3 patches definitely helped. Before the last patch, my gf's game kept freezing and the only thing that helped was turning off autosave.

After the patch, autosave was turned back on and very little freezing, much more playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Fecking xboxers getting to play dawnguard a month befoe us PC gamers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

MadYaker wrote: »
    Fecking xboxers getting to play dawnguard a month befoe us PC gamers...

On a more important note. What about ps3 owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Any idea when the PC release is?

Addition to my list above there is a mod called 'Skyrim Redone'. It pretty much restructures alot of the gameplay mechanics and adds additonal things in such as a Perk Tree specific to Vampirism, better lighting etc. Mostly though from what iv Noticed is that it turns Skyrims gameplay into more of that of Morrowind, for example potions don't heal instantly instead they Heal over Time. Little things as well like Archery is now called 'Marksmanship'. Stamina is a huge contributor to fighting and when your stamina is empty even your basic attacks are much slower. The mod overall makes the game much, much harder so definitely worth checking out for those who want a bit more challenging gameplay. It's compatible with the mods iv listed in the previous post as well

Just completed Dawnguard. Absolutely fantastic. The Dawnguard questline is great and has a nice twist near to the end. Haven't done the Volkihar quest yet. Lots of new content is also good to see. I'd put its length at (if you do the Dawnguard quest, all the side quests, some radiant quests, finish the Werewolf and Vampire Lord perk trees, get all the achievements then re-do the DLC on the Vampires side) about 18-20 hours maybe? If you just do the Dawnguard faction questline on its own it feels (and it roughly the same length as) very similar to Knights of the Nine (all about cleansing, pilgrimage, ancient foes and knights with full face masks).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Just completed Dawnguard. Absolutely fantastic. The Dawnguard questline is great and has a nice twist near to the end. Haven't done the Volkihar quest yet. Lots of new content is also good to see. I'd put its length at (if you do the Dawnguard quest, all the side quests, some radiant quests, finish the Werewolf and Vampire Lord perk trees, get all the achievements then re-do the DLC on the Vampires side) about 18-20 hours maybe? If you just do the Dawnguard faction questline on its own it feels (and it roughly the same length as) very similar to Knights of the Nine (all about cleansing, pilgrimage, ancient foes and knights with full face masks).

Did the opposite of that and did the vampire side first, its amazing and really different to the norm in the game bar one or two dungeons but they dont take away from it too much.
    Love how they added dragon bone weapons now theres another reason to use em instead of lugging em around or selling em.The vampire lord form is great and not as clunky as the warewolf i felt, the spells/abailitys with it are very good and its just pretty bad ass. I gave about 10 hours on it and just did that questline and none of the other small quests that branched off. I did however
    find the soul cairn pretty boring
    One thing that really surprised me in it was how it went into the story of the snow elves and falmer and how the snow elves turned into the falmer. Ever since finding blackreach the snow elves/falmer/dwemer story was always something I really wanted to find out about and this unexpectedly showed some of it, not a ton but a nice bit to cure curiosity. Hope it appears again in the future.

The bits of armour and weaponry picked up along the way are great and very unique too, looking forward to doing the dawnguard side with my second charecter. Very impressed so far although it becomes very laggy for a second or two every once or a while and sometimes i almost thought the game froze but it didnt in the end, nothing major though.

I'm very, very surprised at the lack of bugs.
    find the soul cairn pretty boring

Me too, but the atmosphere in it is fantastic, no?

I found most of the dungeons really good too. You know those dungeons where you walk out into a massive vista or a huge underground grove or valley? They're par for the course here.

One observation- I think they may have added some of the "Dark dungeon" features as shown in the gamejam because some of the caves
    before you meet the snow elf and after you get his quest
    are extremely dark and I found I actually needed to bring torches and light spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Battlestar23

Hello can anyone tell me if this game is finally playable on the Ps3?:o

I got the game when it was released but i have been waiting for Bethesda to fix the Freezing and other issue's in the game and I've been hesitant to try the game myself as i didn't want to ruin my Ps3.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

I got the game when it was released but i have been waiting for Bethesda to fix the Freezing and other issue's in the game and I've been hesitant to try the game myself as i didn't want to ruin my Ps3.:o

I got Skyrim about 2 weeks after release and was aware of the PS3 issues. I had read that turning off autosave was the solution. I did this before I started playing and had no problems whatsoever playing and completing the game on the PS3. I put a huge amount of hours into the game, and got my character up to level 45, with no issues. Can't wait for the DLC now.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭slave2thewage

So, Dawnguard is worth buying then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

last time I played it was working pretty flawlessly to be honest..

Been a few weeks thou but I had no complaints anyway!

Advertisement