Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I've spend 2 Skyrim days in a tavern waiting for feckin blizzards to pass over. :rolleyes:

You weren't taking the piss. I've been at an Imperial camp, tent set up right by their fire, trying to get warm enough to get the **** out of Dawnstar.

As annoying as it sounds, it's still great fun. I really like Frostfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I've been running Realvision ENB, Climates of Tamriel and Realistic Lighting Overhaul with a host of graphical mods on a 3GB R280X at a solid 50-60 FPS.

Originally I was using Grass On Steroids which is actually meant to increase FPS and was getting 10-20 but after uninstalling it I got the above stated 50-60FPS results, all other mods unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Do you use any enb? Most other visual mods wouldn't have a big hit on my frames but the enb really does and that's happened on both my 290 and the 7950 Vapor X which I had previously.

ENB is a must have, game runs like a dream for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Has anyone used the Skyrim Community College mod? Any good? Buggy? Does it download using Steam?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

dreamers75 wrote: »
    ENB is a must have, game runs like a dream for me.
    Well then im doing something seriously wrong if im getting less frames then you, prob time to clear out all my old mods and reinstall them 1 by 1 and see what's causing me to have such low drops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just finished an hour long battle with a dragon priest, physically and mentally exhausted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Any recommendations on an ENB? I just got back to Skyrim after the memory fix, can finally have those crazy war mod battles happening and not CTD... but my current ENB makes my GTX 660ti drop to 30fps, I can easily push 70ish fps average outdoors and 120 indoors with it off @ 1080 res max settings and graphic mods, want something that won't hurt the fps count too much but enough graphic enhancement to make it worth installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Any recommendations on an ENB? I just got back to Skyrim after the memory fix, can finally have those crazy war mod battles happening and not CTD... but my current ENB makes my GTX 660ti drop to 30fps, I can easily push 70ish fps average outdoors and 120 indoors with it off @ 1080 res max settings and graphic mods, want something that won't hurt the fps count too much but enough graphic enhancement to make it worth installing.

+1 to this question.

There must be an ENB mod that doesn't halve the framerate...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I get 80 FPS with ENB on with 7870 no slowdown whatsoever.

maybe its somethign else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

High res textures are the biggest killer. That and uGridstoLoad. Set that to 100 and watch your PC melt away.

I downgraded my texture packs (still 2k textures) and the game is a lot more playable.

If your only running an ENB, try find a performance one. Realvision has that option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

My resolution was 1920 x 1080 with landscape orientation, but with a balanced power option. When I changed from balanced to high performance, the improved quality of the overall Skyrim gaming experience was noticeable, as was the increased heat generated on my laptop when playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I upgraded to the latest version of ENB and the fans on my 560ti sound like theyre trying to suck in the entire earths atmosphere now...kinda worried about actually playing the game, but it sure does look nice

tesv2014-02-0322-20-5bkb0t.png

Grand pic Chairman Meow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if playing Skyrim on pc adds a lot to the overall experience. I was really underwhelmed by Skyrim on ps3 and I struggle to put my finger on the reason for this.

I can see that objectively it is a better game than Oblivion but I just loved Oblivion whereas I kind of just went through the motions with Skyrim, even though I put over 100 hours into it.

Also if it is much better on pc are there any simple mods that you would recommend for it, as I'm new to pc gaming. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd say the huge amount of mods make it almost a completely different game. There's graphical updates to that make it look amazing (take a look at some of the screenshots here), new gameplay features like camping and new skills, and lots of new adventures (some of which are huge). If you get it on Steam, then you will be able to pick and choose mods from the Steam Workshop, which makes installing mods really easy. The problem is sorting out the good ones from the bad. If you've plenty of time, you can always read through the 7500+ posts in this thread. :D

Others here will probably be better able than I to recommend good mods.

Here's a list from PC Gamer of their top 50 mods, but this is from Oct 2012, there's a lot more out there and the ones listed here will have been updated:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/28/the-25-best-skyrim-mods-2/

If I get a chance, I'll see if I can find a newer list. A lot of the graphical stuff will depend on how powerful your PC is, as some of them really need a PC with a lot of grunt. With the Steam Workshop you can just have a read through the mods and decide what sounds good and give it a try. That's usually the best way to go about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

humanji wrote: »
    I'd say the huge amount of mods make it almost a completely different game. There's graphical updates to that make it look amazing (take a look at some of the screenshots here), new gameplay features like camping and new skills, and lots of new adventures (some of which are huge). If you get it on Steam, then you will be able to pick and choose mods from the Steam Workshop, which makes installing mods really easy. The problem is sorting out the good ones from the bad. If you've plenty of time, you can always read through the 7500+ posts in this thread. :D

Others here will probably be better able than I to recommend good mods.

Here's a list from PC Gamer of their top 50 mods, but this is from Oct 2012, there's a lot more out there and the ones listed here will have been updated:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/28/the-25-best-skyrim-mods-2/

If I get a chance, I'll see if I can find a newer list. A lot of the graphical stuff will depend on how powerful your PC is, as some of them really need a PC with a lot of grunt. With the Steam Workshop you can just have a read through the mods and decide what sounds good and give it a try. That's usually the best way to go about it.

I only really played vanilla Skyrim on my PC, might have to give it another go one of these days, modded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm wondering if playing Skyrim on pc adds a lot to the overall experience. I was really underwhelmed by Skyrim on ps3 and I struggle to put my finger on the reason for this.

I can see that objectively it is a better game than Oblivion but I just loved Oblivion whereas I kind of just went through the motions with Skyrim, even though I put over 100 hours into it.

Also if it is much better on pc are there any simple mods that you would recommend for it, as I'm new to pc gaming. Thanks
    I'd suggest reading the last 20-30 posts of this thread maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

danthefan wrote: »
    I only really played vanilla Skyrim on my PC, might have to give it another go one of these days, modded.
    It's definitely worth it. It's so different to vanilla. This like the enhanced towns mods that change the likes of Whiterun into this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=78084859

As Taylor365 says, read over the last 20 pages or so of this thread and you'll see a lot of the most popular mods. Things like the ENB mods make the game look amazing, but can slow down your game to a crawl, so they need a bit of tinkering.

Also, I mentioned the Steam Workshop above, but if you don't already know it, there's the http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim site. It has more mods, but for the sake of Fakman87 who says they're new to PC Gaming, the Steam Workshop is easier to use as it does all the work for you. Some of the Nexus mods can be a bit fiddly.

One thing to remember is that some mods need one or two of the Skyrim expansions to work, so make sure you read the instructions for whatever you're installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

If you do, ignore my ones bitching about my modding making the game crash. It's well worth it in the end.

Tip: If you're running ENB, don't run Fraps or Overwolf or something like that. I think they caused some of my crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I echo the above if you run any type of recording software while using ENB (I'm pretty sure it's ENB) then you'll crash as soon as you try to load into a game or start a new one.

Also you shouldn't have much issues if you use all the appropriate tools to mod the game such as:
    - Mod Install Tool (e.g Nexus Mod Manager)
    - B.O.S.S
    - Skyrim Script Extender
    - TES5 Edit Tool

If you use the above tools you will find any issues in regards the mods you have installed, if they will crash your game etc. Remove any conflicting mods, clean the mod files and run the SKSE and you should be grand even if you are heavily modded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Sigh!!... lost over 100 hours of game play that i thought I'd backed up. Can't bring myself to start again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

the_list_of_the_best_must_have_mods_for_skyrim

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/1ikhrs/

Thanks lads :)

weiland79 wrote: »
    Sigh!!... lost over 100 hours of game play that i thought I'd backed up. Can't bring myself to start again

feelyourpain.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Well folks I've a question. Skyrim is the first Elder Scrolls game I played an I f*cking adore it. I've finished it a couple of times and I still don't get sick of it (on PS3 by the way). My question is, is Oblivion worth buying considering I plan on getting PS4 soon? Is Oblivion as big, the graphics as good and the story as epic as Skyrim? If I do buy it, it'll be the last game I buy for the PS3.

GerB40 wrote: »
    Well folks I've a question. Skyrim is the first Elder Scrolls game I played an I f*cking adore it. I've finished it a couple of times and I still don't get sick of it (on PS3 by the way). My question is, is Oblivion worth buying considering I plan on getting PS4 soon? Is Oblivion as big, the graphics as good and the story as epic as Skyrim? If I do buy it, it'll be the last game I buy for the PS3.

That's a tough one as Skyrim is a lot more refined and has much better graphics than Oblivion but I'd say it's worth a try as you can probably get it quite cheap for ps3. Also I found the world of Oblivion much richer than Skyrims.

As well as that I think that the main storyline in Oblivion is better, with some truly brilliant side quests added in along the way.

GerB40 wrote: »

For me, oblivion is the best game in the series.

HOWEVER.

If Skyrim is your first ES experience then you will struggle mightily with Oblivion. There are just so many little things Skyrim fixed that will annoy you in Oblivion.

Despite this, warts and all, Oblivion has a special place in my heart. I still play it monthly. Skyrim is just too.... sterile compared to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

quarryman wrote: »
    For me, oblivion is the best game in the series.

HOWEVER.

If Skyrim is your first ES experience then you will struggle mightily with Oblivion. There are just so many little things Skyrim fixed that will annoy you in Oblivion.

Despite this, warts and all, Oblivion has a special place in my heart. I still play it monthly. Skyrim is just too.... sterile compared to it.

F*ck it, I'm buying it.. I don't even want to these things that will annoy me,(I'm very easily annoyed, I'll find em'). The poster above said the world is richer. This fascinates me. I'd prefer a good story over flashy graphics. I'll be back in roughly 100/150 hours time, nice one for your words of wisdom..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Yeah I got the same feeling with Oblivion compared to Skyrim as I did with Fallout 3 compared to New Vegas - the latters are better made games - the formers are better games imo (that said I did enjoy them all immensely, completed 'em all 100% and am eagerly awaiting Fallout 4)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Oblivion is good, I just can't handle the UI/Gameplay now. It's true, it will just annoy you.

Advertisement