Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I purchased a swanky laptop specifically to play Skyrim next month. I'm thinkiiing, Dunmer assassin? What with those nice blade cutty-throatty perks, and the new 'snipery' bow and arrow.

has it got a decent GPU?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I was thinking of grabbing Dark Souls for 360 since its console only or maybe grabbing oblivion for PC on the cheap somewhere while i wait for BF3 and Skyrim, any thoughts?
    I only played oblivion briefly on a borrowed version of the game if im being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Dcully wrote: »
    I was thinking of grabbing Dark Souls for 360 since its console only or maybe grabbing oblivion for PC on the cheap somewhere while i wait for BF3 and Skyrim, any thoughts?
    I only played oblivion briefly on a borrowed version of the game if im being honest.

If it's between Oblivion and Dark Souls it's not even remotely close to be honest. Oblivion was great in it's day but imo it hasn't aged well, it can be modded etc. which does help but Dark Souls is unmissable, without a doubt goty for me and possibly game of this gen. If Skyrim is anywhere near as good i'll be very happy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

has it got a decent GPU?

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M. Should do the job I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

I'm gonna end up spending prob bout 2 hours trying to decide what race to be, never mind what I'd look like etc!!

With Morrowind and oblivion I remeber taking ages to decide which character I'd be!

I always have been and prob always will be a slice and dice kinda player... never really used magic that much in elder scrolls.

• Advertisement

Funglegunk wrote: »
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M. Should do the job I hope!

il be using the 1 gig desktop version to run it so you should be grand, its a great little card, dont know if you can overclock your laptop card though could get a bit hot :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dcully wrote: »

If you do get Oblivion on the pc, make sure to mod the hell out of it. Makes it a much more enjoyable game. I can give you a good list of mods if/when you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Kiith wrote: »
    If you do get Oblivion on the pc, make sure to mod the hell out of it. Makes it a much more enjoyable game. I can give you a good list of mods if/when you get it.

What kind of mods are available?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

some of the landscape/ennvironment mods make the game look/sound amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

some of the landscape/ennvironment mods make the game look/sound amazing

That. I just recently purchased Oblivion and you should get those mods if you don't want to change anything else in the game. They are amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/07/16/ten-essential-oblivion-mods/

are the ones from that list I'd reccomend installing for your first playthrough

mainly graphics/environment updates, #1/#2 is a bit of an all around bugfix.. changes a few things a lot of people found annoying about vanilla oblivion.. I never played vanilla but I heard a lot of complaints.

once you play through the game in as normal a state as those mods allow (which is very close to the vanilla game im pretty sure, just a few balance tweaks and fixes) then you can start added crazy monsters and weird magic stuff for a repeat run through.

The main ones i'd recommend are Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, Martigans Monster Mods, Deadly Reflex's, Natural Environments, Qarls Textures, Darns UI, and a few other smaller mods that i can't think of right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Man I wish I could afford a PC (/know how to properly utilize one)..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

il be using the 1 gig desktop version to run it so you should be grand, its a great little card, dont know if you can overclock your laptop card though could get a bit hot :D

I can overclock it yeah, but I'm a cautious overclocker at heart. :D If it can run it decently in any way that doesn't negatively affect gameplay I'll be a happy bunny.

I'm still using an ATI 4890 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'm in a similar boat, I'm running with 8800 GTS (G92) (though granted in SLI). I've a feeling Skyrim is likely to be the first game where I'll be struggling to play it at a decent quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'm so glad i upgraded mine earlier this year.:)

think i might throw in a second gtx 460 around xmas, cant see that it would need more than that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have a 560 ti, wonder how good it would run at max settings. does the game have good 3d support does anybody know?

All those oblivion mods, are they compatible with each other...
    i can see overwriting of one mod by another etc happening.

I just started oblivion again and added a few mods, i constantly get OUT OF MEMORY in giant writing on the screen as I play, may ahve something to do with windows 64 bit and 8 gig of ram? My other pc runs it fine and has 2gb ram.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hopefully my gtx 260 will blow it out of the water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Broke my arm last week.. In a cast so no gaming for me..

Turns out cast is due off on 10.11.11

Skyrim 11.11.11

Bill-and-Teds-Excellent-A-002.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

hypermuse wrote: »
    Broke my arm last week.. In a cast so no gaming for me..

Turns out cast is due off on 10.11.11

Skyrim 11.11.11

Bill-and-Teds-Excellent-A-002.jpg

haha thats brilliant,what a day to get your cast off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Crossfire 6950s in my newly built PC :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

For those of you who are looking for a cheapish digital copy of the game it's on G2Play.net for €31. I've never used them before but I hear they're fairly reliable.

http://www.g2play.net/store/The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim.html

There isn't any info if you'll need a VPN come launch day btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I'll be running it with a crappy dual core processor 2 gigs of meh ram and an ATI 5770. Card should be fine, but the rest of my rig needs some serious updating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

titan18 wrote: »
    Crossfire 6950s in my newly built PC :D
    bulldozer CPU?

xavier im rocking the 5770 as well with better specs otherwise ill let you know how it roars.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Anyone want to take up the challenge and see if they can complete it any faster? From Gamespot:
    The Elder Scrolls franchise has developed a reputation for offering hours of gameplay spread across reaching open-world environments. However, for Bethesda Softworks QA tester Sam Bernstein, "hours" is just barely plural with his speedrun of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

skyrim_73042_embed.jpg
    Skyrim will likely take a bit longer than two hours for everyone else.

With Skyrim closing in on its November 11 ship date, Bethesda recently held its traditional internal speedrun contest, and Bernstein took the top finishing time at 2:16:10. According to a post onBethesda's blog, that speedrun time is about an hour longer than the top times for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Bernstein and the development team's Jeff Browne were likely candidates for the top of the speedrun charts, as they also clocked the fastest times in Bethesda's previous release, Fallout 3. Although they took totally different routes through the game, Bernstein finished a mere 20 seconds sooner than his competitor.

There are no special rules in play when it comes to these speedruns, according to the Bethesda blog. The only stipulation is that no cheats are allowed.
    It's mad, I'd never have thought it possible to complete Oblivion or Fallout that quickly. I guess there's a load of quests you can skip and set-pieces you can trigger if you know where to go. But I get the feeling that most people only do the main quests as a last resort, as the sidequests are always more fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

humanji wrote: »
    Anyone want to take up the challenge and see if they can complete it any faster? From Gamespot:

It's mad, I'd never have thought it possible to complete Oblivion or Fallout that quickly. I guess there's a load of quests you can skip and set-pieces you can trigger if you know where to go. But I get the feeling that most people only do the main quests as a last resort, as the sidequests are always more fun.

In Fallout 3 you can actually skip a load of the main mission by visiting a certain vault. I accidentally did it when I was off wandering doing side quests, I just reloaded when I found out. The main mission was always kinda poor on these games. If it wasn't for the side quests the games would be complete and utter shíte if you ask me, especially oblivion.

Advertisement