Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Overheal wrote: »
    bulldozer CPU?

xavier im rocking the 5770 as well with better specs otherwise ill let you know how it roars.

from what ive read those bulldozer cpu's are pretty crap, gaming performance is on par with phenom 2's, youd be better off getting a SB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

bulldozer CPU?

xavier im rocking the 5770 as well with better specs otherwise ill let you know how it roars.

Overclocked i5 2500k, 8GB of RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

The guide is out. 600 pages!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

quarryman wrote: »

best novel ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Half the fun of the Elder Scrolls series is randomly coming across villages/dungeons as you are wandering about. I don't know why anybody would actually buy the guide for it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aye, especially when you can just go to about 5 million skyrim walkthroughs/wikis that will pop up 4 hours after release if you get stuck

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

If they have a collectors edition guide I might get it,I'm a sucker when It comes to that kinda stuff,I got the collectors guide for fallout nv.

Yea I never have bought a guide and never will tbh!

I prefer to roam the world and see what I stumble across.. Perhaps if I;ve finished most the game and want to unlock an achievement or something i'll consult the internet!

Dont see the need to buy a guide one the whole internet is at your disposal!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The best thing about Elder Scrolls games is just going in a random direction, and finding weird and wonderful stuff. A guide would ruin it, especially on your 1st playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

right.... so i'm sensing a "no" on the guide then?

i'll give Amazon a shout and let them know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

You want to immerse yourself, roaming the lands with that doe-eyed glare of adventure and awe, get exicted by discovering things for yourself rather and paving yoru own unique paths! Ridiculous for a someone to use a guidebook on the first play, you loose all that straight away as soon as you look at one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,436 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

teehee! i just realised Skyrim has the word rim in it!
    Rim! heehee! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

right.... so i'm sensing a "no" on the guide then?

i'll give Amazon a shout and let them know.

I don't see why it would be a no, it's a completely personal preferance. It irritates me when people tell other people how to play single player games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A guide? A guide?? Who on earth buys a game like Skyrim, then buys a guide to pretty much take ALL of the wonder out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

only once have i ever bought a guide for a game that was red dead redemption, and i regretted it totally. it took the fun of exploration out altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

bulldozer CPU?

Awesome :) I think I should be fine, but I won't get the best out of the game with lower graphics.

I loved wondering around in Morrowind, I came across this cave under water which has some serious gear inside. Marked it on my map and came back to it later when I had the ability to use it. Daedric gear... awesome. Would never use a walkthrough on any game. Takes the fun out of exploration, which is a major part of this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,773 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeeeeahhh....... I really want a guide for Fallout though.

I never have the time to get into these games anymore. It would be nice to have some pointers I always feel completely lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 michaelyou

i cant wait for this game to come out :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1242850-new-skyrim-3-hour-hands-on-previews-2/

Here an enitre list of previews released yesterday,I enjoyed reading the gamespy one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Wish I had a proper PC to play this but probably wont be getting that till near christmas, so looks like I'll be getting this on the PS3. Still though, so freaking excited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

couldn't possibly wait until christmas for this, thats impossible feat

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

"shoes and cutlery only get you so far". Wise words, wise words.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Can anyone tell me what the levelling and loot system will be like?

I thought oblivion was a load of ****e simply for this reason. Say could I go to the top of a mountain as level 1 and just face a load of rats, then go to the top of the mountain again at level 20 and face a load of bears?

I'd rather know there's areas that I'd get my arse kicked in and have to level up rather than know the enemies scale with you.

Same goes for loot. Just because I'm level 1 does that mean I won't find extremely rare or expensive armour?

Even fallout was annoying in this regard. Encountering ****ty enemies and then in the same location just because I'm a higher level started meeting really powerful enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

From what I've read (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) is that areas will lock to your level when you enter - so if you go into a cave as a Level 2 say, the bad guys might be Level 4, but they stay as Level 4 from then on - so you can come back as a Level 6 and beat them.

from what I know the levels of enemies you encounter are based on your level..

tbf, there is no point at the start of game level 1 or 2 and coming up against a guy who is level 20/30... you'd be slaughtered.

In addition, wheres the fun/challenge in being a level 30 character and only being challenged by level 2 enemies..

The reason you prob don't face bears at the start is coz it would be a mismatch!! but the natural flora and fauna wont change dramatically..

There might be rabbits for you to kill at the start but as you progress there might be bears and rabbits!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

joe123 wrote: »
    I'd rather know there's areas that I'd get my arse kicked in and have to level up rather than know the enemies scale with you.

Same goes for loot. Just because I'm level 1 does that mean I won't find extremely rare or expensive armour?

yes this is my problem with modern day RPGs no sense of achievement with scripted leveling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

Sesudra wrote: »
    From what I've read (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) is that areas will lock to your level when you enter - so if you go into a cave as a Level 2 say, the bad guys might be Level 4, but they stay as Level 4 from then on - so you can come back as a Level 6 and beat them.

believe this to be the case alright

but think there's also minimum levels an area will lock to - so entering an high level (20-30), at level 10, may have the area locked to 20 (?), but you'll still get your ass handed to you

afaik

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Each area has a level range. So the Cave of Difficulty is between lvl4-9. If you are lvl1, the cave is lvl4. If you are lvl4, the cave is lvl4. If you are lvl9, the cave is lvl9. If you are lvl85, the cave is lvl9.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kiith wrote: »
    Each area has a level range. So the Cave of Difficulty is between lvl4-9. If you are lvl1, the cave is lvl4. If you are lvl4, the cave is lvl4. If you are lvl9, the cave is lvl9. If you are lvl85, the cave is lvl9.
    That makes the most sense really; there wasn't really anything wrong with Oblivion's leveling system, it was simply too crude & arbitrary & all it needed was a few tweaks. I like that idea, that there's a range of 'levels' appropriate to certain areas.

Advertisement