Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

hypermuse wrote: »
    tbf, there is no point at the start of game level 1 or 2 and coming up against a guy who is level 20/30... you'd be slaughtered.
    I'd disagree with this. The whole point of leveling is that it is a representation of you getting stronger relative to the world around you.

There's nothing more satisfying than going up against someone early and getting destroyed, then leveling up somewhere else instead, before coming back and being able to defeat the person you couldn't come near to touching before.

Without that, leveling progression feels 'flat' as the monsters are always the same power relative to yourself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd agree with Blowfish. Some of my best moments in games is getting my ass handed to me and running away, only to come back later and hammer them. It was something that Oblivion missed, and was corrected by mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd agree with Blowfish. Some of my best moments in games is getting my ass handed to me and running away, only to come back later and hammer them. It was something that Oblivion missed, and was corrected by mods.

Midgar Serpent in Final Fantasy VII.

/argument

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Blowfish wrote: »
    I'd disagree with this. The whole point of leveling is that it is a representation of you getting stronger relative to the world around you.

There's nothing more satisfying than going up against someone early and getting destroyed, then leveling up somewhere else instead, before coming back and being able to defeat the person you couldn't come near to touching before.

Without that, leveling progression feels 'flat' as the monsters are always the same power relative to yourself.

I agree completely.. I'd much rather best an enemy that was superior to me than fight weaker foes!

I just thought that's how they are approaching it in Skyrim.. I would much prefer it to be the way you described.. With the ability to type notes on your map its great to easily be able to come back to an previous enemy that was too overpowering and try beat him again once you are better trained/equipped!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Blowfish wrote: »

Exactly. For example...

Local in village: ohh you don't want to go down to cave town it's full of crazy ass vampire people. They are so strong but there is legend of the rarest swords ever there too!

*wander down at level 1....nearly dead run away run away.*

I really want that sword though.

*wander down at level 10, oh Jesus nearly dead but I sneak and stealth my way through, nab the sword run for my life. Mission accomplished = great sense of achievement*

*go level up for a bit with my new really powerful sword, return to cave town at level 22 and kill everyone in sight*

Now compare that too this oblivion style.

*wander down at level 1, have a good aul fight, take the legendary sword....hmmm doesn't seem that powerful. Hang on there's a regular auld bandit il use my new sword. Hmmm that fight seemed the same as my last fight and what's this he's got the same rare armour I found on the way to the cave!?*

Ah well il level up and go back to cave town and wipe them all out because you know I've levelled up loads sense then.

*wander down to cave town level 22, what the **** is this **** that fight was as tough as being level one. And everyone is wearing rare glass armour. Where is my sense of progression. **** this *****

The end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

amen Joe & Blowfish

too much pandering to the casual gamer on all platforms in recent years

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

3 weeks friday is it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Auvers wrote: »
    amen Joe & Blowfish

too much pandering to the casual gamer on all platforms in recent years

Pretty much applies to most modern RPGs. I can very easily acknowledge Oblivion's flaws. Heck I can even get a kick out of visiting rpgcodex.net and reading how they hate every single commercial RPG ever released. The reality is I thoroughly enjoyed Oblivion despite all of this. Hopefully Skyrim improves things but thankfully it will be fully modable so we'll have alternatives to look forward to. I hope their Radiant AI is a tad better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Kiith wrote: »
    Each area has a level range. So the Cave of Difficulty is between lvl4-9. If you are lvl1, the cave is lvl4. If you are lvl4, the cave is lvl4. If you are lvl9, the cave is lvl9. If you are lvl85, the cave is lvl9.

Can anyone find a source that discusses this? I'd be interested to know exactly how it works. I soured on Oblivion due to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

spaeking of classic RPGs does anyone remember this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Now thats oldschool!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I loved that game. That and Eye of the Beholder started me off on RPG's. It's odd thinking about it now, but my PC actually struggled with the graphics of them. Any animations took about twice as long to display as they should have.

http://www.gamesradar.com/63-amazing-things-we-saw-and-did-skyrim/?page=1

Also on the Elder scrolls twitter it say there's gonna be new footage tonight I would think.

ElderScrolls The Elder Scrolls
    Get ready for new Skyrim footage tomorrow night on GTTV with @geoffkeighley bit.ly/oyB1Ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Now if that was in the Collectors Edition i'd consider spending €129 for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Nodferatu wrote: »

I want that almost as much as I want the actual game

• Registered Users Posts: 82,773 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I saw a negative balance on my store credit card and a few gift certificates in my account ready to expire. So I had to do it, I pre-ordered.

Tried to play Oblivion last night but the walking is buggy thanks to some conflict between my 360 controller and the keyboard. Sadface, Im too lazy to debug the problem. Fallout works good though, I'm finally starting to chip into that. An extreme lack of bullets is crippling me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

http://www.gamesradar.com/63-amazing-things-we-saw-and-did-skyrim/?page=1

Also on the Elder scrolls twitter it say there's gonna be new footage tonight I would think.

ElderScrolls The Elder Scrolls
    Get ready for new Skyrim footage tomorrow night on GTTV with @geoffkeighley bit.ly/oyB1Ie

"• We found Nirnroot. Hey! Nirnroot is back!"

YES! Nirnroot is confirmed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Picked up Oblivion GOTY edition in Xtra Vision yesterday for a fiver

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Picked up Oblivion GOTY edition in Xtra Vision yesterday for a fiver

thats for nothing even though its an old game. went to trade in my copy of oblivion before and they offered me €3 for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Overheal wrote: »
    I saw a negative balance on my store credit card and a few gift certificates in my account ready to expire. So I had to do it, I pre-ordered.

Tried to play Oblivion last night but the walking is buggy thanks to some conflict between my 360 controller and the keyboard. Sadface, Im too lazy to debug the problem. Fallout works good though, I'm finally starting to chip into that. An extreme lack of bullets is crippling me though.

I've had that since day one with oblivion because I play flight sims so I always have joysticks attaced to the PC. theres an ini file attached to your profile that has a value for the joytsick that you need to change, google it ya lazy hoor

• Registered Users Posts: 82,773 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Bambi wrote: »
    I've had that since day one with oblivion because I play flight sims so I always have joysticks attaced to the PC. theres an ini file attached to your profile that has a value for the joytsick that you need to change, google it ya lazy hoor
    ugh.... isnt there just like a console command i can pop into oblivion? ini hacking is so 2004.

That's not new, its the footage from April :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Nothing really there bar Todd Howard saying that they always wanted to do Skyrim (really?) and how rugged the landscape is. It makes me wonder why they think gamers in general have any interest in these inanities.

Well that was disapointing.........still 3 weeks to go

The link above is for the GTTV from April. The one from last night is below. I can't see it though, as it's not available in my location for some reason.

http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/nxmw15/gttv-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-season-5-ep-503

Awful Youtube quality recording of it, if anyone else can't access it. Not sure if there's more, as it's the only one i could find.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah, not gonna watch anymore trailers. They started to give some major sounding plot points there, so i stopped. I can wait 3 weeks...just about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Ugh, the whole format and tone of that GameTrailers thing really, really vexes me.

Advertisement