Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nodferatu wrote: »
    €200+ to upgrade graphics cards just to play a new game... ill stick with my console thanks. may not be superior graphics but save me a few hundred.

The 4870 cost me €200 about three years ago so it had a good run. It still plays everything I've thrown at it whilst looking amazing and should play skyrim (we'll only really find out when it's released) but I just hate not being able to crank the graphics up to 11. :) Anywho, my graduation is on the same day this is released so I'll be busy enough that weekend so probably won't get much of a chance to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

calm down like im not having a crack at pc gamers. im just saying i never (personally) could not get into the whole pc modding and upgrading graphics cards every few years to keep playing the latest high spec requiring games. and to be honest i been playing consoles since the atari so im a console player simple i know nothing of pc games and modding a pc to be able to play them on. never have and never will play pc games as i know if i started id be hooked and broke. so respect to you pc gamers, and no offence. you took me the wrong way. smile.gif thats all.
    i know a polish guy i work with bought a new graphics card paid like €700 or there abouts and 2 years later he's telling me its outdated and there is newer version which out dates that one :O
    so even on an non upgraded pc if it will look better than my ps3 who cares, if you dont know what your missing you cant miss it can ya.
    ill still enjoy it as oblivion is 5-6 years old and a launch day game on ps3 so the graphics were s**t compared to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

€200+ to upgrade graphics cards just to play a new game... ill stick with my console thanks. may not be superior graphics but save me a few hundred.
    Actually, a €30 graphics card would play it at least as well as a console would. Given that most people would have a PC already, throwing a cheap GPU in it will cost you a hell of a lot less than buying an Xbox/PS3, plus the games are cheaper too.

Blowfish wrote: »
    Actually, a €30 graphics card would play it at least as well as a console would. Given that most people would have a PC already, throwing a cheap GPU in it will cost you a hell of a lot less than buying an Xbox/PS3, plus the games are cheaper too.
    :( i bought a €1,200 pc few years back i cant even play those €7 games you find in tescos on it, they are that bad. found out i cant upgrade the graphics card in it too its a dell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

its a dell.

Theres your problem right there anyway,dell are overpriced and you can't upgrade the hardware unless you buy it from them or so I hear.Nothing wrong with playing on a console if thats the way you want to go :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

dell shuuuuuder

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

marco_polo wrote: »
    Even still the Q9300 is a respectable gaming CPU and certainly powerful enough to feed a single GT 560 without any problem.

do you mean a gt560 or gtx560?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

:( i bought a €1,200 pc few years back i cant even play those €7 games you find in tescos on it, they are that bad. found out i cant upgrade the graphics card in it too its a dell.

I would never buy the 'newest' generation, it's a waste of money. Spending about 700 would be much better! also always make it yourself and dont buy something like a dell! saves so much money. i bought a second hand pc with monitor, keyboard and mouse for 300 a few years ago, still runs games fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

do you mean a gt560 or gtx560?

Oops I meant the one that exists :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,778 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

am past kvatch and all i have is kvatch gear, my best! I dont want to take the swords and stuff from the magic stones i see as Im low level and the gear will be crap?
    MAgic what??
    calm down like im not having a crack at pc gamers. im just saying i never (personally) could not get into the whole pc modding and upgrading graphics cards every few years to keep playing the latest high spec requiring games. and to be honest i been playing consoles since the atari so im a console player simple i know nothing of pc games and modding a pc to be able to play them on. never have and never will play pc games as i know if i started id be hooked and broke. so respect to you pc gamers, and no offence. you took me the wrong way. smile.gif thats all.
    i know a polish guy i work with bought a new graphics card paid like €700 or there abouts and 2 years later he's telling me its outdated and there is newer version which out dates that one :O
    so even on an non upgraded pc if it will look better than my ps3 who cares, if you dont know what your missing you cant miss it can ya.
    ill still enjoy it as oblivion is 5-6 years old and a launch day game on ps3 so the graphics were s**t compared to this.
    Ok, there are (Rich) hardcore guys like that, then you have Me. I will build a good machine and run the components to the ground before upgrading. My laptop? Ran a GeForce 8400 GS in it. Played Crysis on the minimum settings (still lagged, still played it), played WoW on mixed settings, played TF2 on meh settings (some great, some bad. Texture resolution: baaad). Shattered Horizon, a few other things. All mixed bag of settings. Oblivion it managed most of the settings except for ground clutter (:() but ultimately the only reason I retired the old girl was because she turned 3, her inverter had been acting crazy for months, and I couldn't be exactly sure when she would just roll over and die I had put her through so much, via gaming. She's still a nice college lappy though.

So last summer I built. I gave myself an $800 budget so we're not talking about, mind blowing parts. But good parts. Quality motherboard, AMD 1055t (couldn't justify the 1090, sorry) and the only GPU that made sense to me at the time: the Sapphire Vapor-X ATI Radeon HD 5770 for $150. Priced and specced as a upper-mid range card. Still gets teased by say, the 4870. But importantly it can/could play everything new with virtually full specs - the only thing that failed to do so was Metro 2033, and only at my native res of 1920x1280 or something around there - it was the damn fog settings. And I will probably continue to run these parts into the ground for another 3 or so years until something comes out that I simply cannot play, whatever the latest envelope-pushing must-have title is.

But no your polish guy was crazy. I remember when the 8800GTX came out. That **** was sick, and not cheap. People are still running that in their rigs now. Granted, they have to bake them, but they still run things, and run them well. 5 years later. But I've learned (as my above spec) many times when building PCs and speccing laptops and such is that the middle-range is your best friend. You will go broke or keep someone in business at the high end and be disappointed as hell in the low end.

So for instance your current good bang for buck, not going to make you skip your rent graphics card is probably something around the 6770. CPUs I'm less read up on right now. I don't like Intel so I don't care much. And the new AMD bulldozers have been received as being anti-climatic, so I just don't know. I wager though that the bulldozers are probably going to be priced reasonably well for the output though. Shame that they are NOT backwards compatible with the board I invested in. FML AMD. FML.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

you know those stones you go up to and it asks you if you want to summon the sword?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Overheal, I didn't understand a bit of that!

That's why I stick with consoles, because if I went out to buy PC upgrades I would probably end up getting fooled into buying a hamster on a wheel running around inside a computer :(

Still, I have got on grand with consoles all my life so I don't see the need to go to PC yet. I may do in the future though.

Once you go pc you never go back!

LOL my bro is always saying once you go mac you'll never go back. trying to nudge me to buy an apple next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

DEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I PLAY CONSOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! DDDDDEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRPPPP!!!!!!!!

Seriously though I haven't got the last 30 posts or so. Right over the head. I just keep waiting for a new trailer or something and you flash PC boys keep getting my hopes up! ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

WOOHOO, I'm happy with the specs. I made sure to prepare in advance for this and got 8gb of G.skill ram and purchased another 1 of these to run in Crossfire:

ATI Radeon 6850 HD 790MHz 1GB PCI-Express HDMI

I've also got a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit sorted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

Im somewhere between min and recommended - but have prepped the gf for a big spend this year, so huzzah!

hmm hope she didnt think engagement ring :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Gamers are not telegenic people. Nice footage though.

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Gamers are not telegenic people. Nice footage though.

ah ya I know that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm my specs are somewhere in the middle, though I am considering a new pc in the new year.
    For those of us too lazy / scared to build their own; are there any companies that build & sell good, gamer centric PCs? Oh and someone who isn't alienware :p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

my laptop is ok for the specs, my graphics card is pretty basic i think, NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M
    is that enough? ;s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www3.hardwareversand.de

i think this crowd builds it for you for like.. 30 euro or something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmm my specs are somewhere in the middle, though I am considering a new pc in the new year.
    For those of us too lazy / scared to build their own; are there any companies that build & sell good, gamer centric PCs? Oh and someone who isn't alienware tongue.gif
    As above, hardwareversand.de will build it for €20, or the Building & Upgrading forum has a bunch of people who will help build it for free if you are in their area.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    my laptop is ok for the specs, my graphics card is pretty basic i think, NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M
    is that enough? ;s
    It'll run it, but you'll definitely have some of the 'shinier' options tuned down.

delivery from hardwareversand is 30 no matter how little or much you get so get your whole pc there. They are cheap. they build it for 20 but building it yourself is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

pixelburp wrote: »
    For those of us too lazy / scared to build their own; are there any companies that build & sell good, gamer centric PCs? Oh and someone who isn't alienware :p

fwiw, I'll probably (shamelessly), base alot of my purchases off of the latest bit-tech buyers-guide

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buyers-guide

http://www3.hardwareversand.de

i think this crowd builds it for you for like.. 30 euro or something

Don't they only accept bank transfer or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Don't they only accept bank transfer or something?

They do paypal sometimes too iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Once you go pc you never go back!

I went back! Too expensive and not as comfortable!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

joe123 wrote: »
    I went back! Too expensive and not as comfortable!

My couch begs to differ.
    My bank balance...not so much.

Advertisement