Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you know those stones you go up to and it asks you if you want to summon the sword?
    I forget :/
    Overheal, I didn't understand a bit of that!

That's why I stick with consoles, because if I went out to buy PC upgrades I would probably end up getting fooled into buying a hamster on a wheel running around inside a computer :(

Still, I have got on grand with consoles all my life so I don't see the need to go to PC yet. I may do in the future though.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-idiots-guide-to-building-your-own-computer/

http://lifehacker.com/5151369/the-first+timers-guide-to-building-a-computer-from-scratch

There's a learning curve but it's pretty easy after that.

Remember there was I point when I didn't know a thing about any of this either. My dad showed me what RAM was and about upgrading it. From there, Doom3 crashed my own PC I just bought from a reseller (I didn't get a superb deal, but not ripped off) - I learned 3 things: Dust is bad. Your CPU (processor) will shut off when it approaches 100 degrees celsius. And your CPU will overheat if it tries to handle the strain from Doom3 because your graphics card (Geforce 4 MX440) Is a piece of ****. How much of a piece of ****? Most PC boxes from between 2002 and 2005 specifically say they don't support MX series cards. Go ahead. Check.

So I went to a PC shop, bought what appeared to be a good card (an FX 6600) and ran circles around Doom3.

....It's a learning process. Don't be afraid of it. It's really fun, and rewarding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Came across this Official post as to what sort of performance you can expect from your graphics card. There is a comprehensive Mobile GPU guide as well if you keep scrolling.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1245922-official-will-my-pc-run-skyrim-discussion-38-with-hardware-guide/

TLDR Version:

(Ultra Settings @1080p)
    - GTX460 1GB / HD6850 1GB upwards.

(High but not Quite Ultra Settings @1080p / ULTRA @ Sub HD Resolutions )
    - From (GTX260 - HD4870/5770) Up To [/B](GTX460 768MB - HD5830/6970 )

From a GTS 450/ HD5750 and below you are sliding down the scale starting at medium high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I shamelessly spent quite a bit upgrading recently. :o

Have an i7 2600k overlocked to 4.6 and worse again I went for this...

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1207/pg1/asus-matrix-gtx-580-platinum-graphics-card-review-introduction.html

Yes it was very expensive but I treated myself out of my redundancy and it will last me years... not to mention run Skyrim on Ultra settings and still get rediculously good FPS!! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

marco_polo wrote: »
    (High but not Quite Ultra Settings @1080p / ULTRA @ Sub HD Resolutions )
    - From (GTX260 - HD4870/5770) Up To [/B](GTX460 768MB - HD5830/6970 )

Interesting. I've a 4890 at the moment, and won't be able to upgrade till the end on November, but it looks like i'll be able to play it at decent settings till then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I'm good to go methinks.
    HIGH: These cards should run Skyrim at high setings, give or take a little depending on the resolution. They will definitely play Skyrim well.

13. Nvidia GTX 460M 1.5GB

Just give us the bloody game now! Will it have gone gold at this stage?

• Advertisement

Is it out yet...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, playing it now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Unsurprisingly, with my 3 year old notebook it looks like I'll be running it on medium to low. I'm not too bothered though.

Decided to order it off Simplygames as they apparently ship before release, even with delivery it worked out just cheaper than Amazon. I'm still hoping a good priced digital copy appears before release for day 1 play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

http://www3.hardwareversand.de

i think this crowd builds it for you for like.. 30 euro or something

Ah right cheers for that; must have a look at that site, then figure out what's good value for money & vaguely future-proof (insofar as is possible in PC gaming)

IS IT OUT YET?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Overheal wrote: »
    IS IT OUT YET?

Do you really need to do this ever bloody day.

I haven't..... but yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Vargulf

G4TV have some new footage showing some of the voice acting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

im playing morrowind again

the ordinators are being nice to me this time :eek:

i hope they dont have any disasters like "waistworks" in skyrim

I just can't handle Morrowind's combat anymore. I tried recently, but it's a really awful system. Everything else is fantastic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

"OMG it's like an elf...tree...demon!"

It's a spriggan you philistines!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I'm surprised by the specs. I thought with my meagre 4870 that the game would in fact refuse to install and simply play a looped gif consisting of a finger pointing at me and the sound of laughing but I'm happy with medium/high settings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

grizzly wrote: »
    Elder Scrolls? Looks more like Easy Scrolls.

What makes you say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Funglegunk wrote: »
    "OMG it's like an elf...tree...demon!"

It's a spriggan you philistines!
    Nikole, your whining and obviously grossly uninformed commentary is, quite frankly, unbearable. I couldn't even finish watching this video with the sound on. How you ever landed a job reviewing video games is beyond me.

G4, if you intend on making further videos about Skyrim, either before or after its release, please can you employ the services of someone who appreciates the depth and richness of the Elder Scrolls series in their commentary instead of using talentless airheads who have a gushing penchant for 'bunnies'.

Read more: http://www.g4tv.com/videos/55960/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim-video-preview/#ixzz1bz2igGF3

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

What makes you say that?

Just the first 30 secs of that clip. With the ice blast spell insta-killing everything. I'm mostly joking as I've pre-ordered this already. I just hope they balance the game so it's a nice challenge.

grizzly wrote: »
    Just the first 30 secs of that clip. With the ice blast spell insta-killing everything. I'm mostly joking as I've pre-ordered this already. I just hope they balance the game so it's a nice challenge.

Ah ya me too !

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Stocking Drinks Whiskey

I absolutely can't wait for it! It's been too long since Oblivion, loved that game to death!

I am not fond of how the characters look from what I've seen of screenshots though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Anyone know the cheapest bricks and mortar store for this game, on PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

titan18 wrote: »
    Anyone know the cheapest bricks and mortar store for this game, on PC?
    Would like to know this aswell, on the gamestop website it says €46, has to be gotten cheaper since amazon are selling it for €32

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I know the Grafton St HMV is the cheapest for nearly all games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Ordered my new PC Rig :D. That's me sorted for another good while, probably all ill need to improve on in the future is a new GPU. At the moment I went for the nVidia GTX 570 1280MB Graphics.

Advertisement