Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I remember Shivering Isles having a bug where my entire inventory was stripped and I was pelted with naked ragdoll Khajits every time I loaded up my save.

Funny, but slightly game-breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Bugs in a game this expansive are to be expected. Items disappearing or enemies running into walls or spells not doing their intended effect. They are bugs. Normal stuff with every game. But I dont consider half the problems with Elder scrolls to be "bugs".

With Bethesda it's usually game-breaking problems. Sound cutting out completely, Crashes to desktop, saves corrupting, game progression not possible, factions randomly loving/hating you etc. etc.

I adored Fallout3 and played it through multiple times but that game had some seriously tiring problems that never should have made it past testing. I'm hoping they realised their testing process needed vast improvement.

Most mainstream reviewers put in about 7 or 8 hours with a game before posting their reivews and don't see the major problems. If reviewers are seeing issues with this paltry time with a huge game, it's a bad sign. There are some wonky rumours out there. I'm hoping they are exaggerated.

Ultimately I suppose different people have different thresholds on what they will put up with. I'm sure we will all persevere through it anyway for the love of the game. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Yeah, I really hope the bugs don't hurt the gameplay too much.

I know Fallout NV was Obsidian, but despite absolutely loving the game, there were way too many head wreckings bugs. Random freezes or sound issues etc, as Kirby said. That stuff definitely hurt it a bit for me, which is unfortunate as I loved it otherwise.

Hoping that any stuff like that in Skyrim gets sorted out asap.

But man I am dying to get it!! So close, yet so far!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kirby wrote: »
    Bugs in a game this expansive are to be expected. Items disappearing or enemies running into walls or spells not doing their intended effect. They are bugs. Normal stuff with every game. But I dont consider half the problems with Elder scrolls to be "bugs".

With Bethesda it's usually game-breaking problems. Sound cutting out completely, Crashes to desktop, saves corrupting, game progression not possible, factions randomly loving/hating you etc. etc.

I adored Fallout3 and played it through multiple times but that game had some seriously tiring problems that never should have made it past testing. I'm hoping they realised their testing process needed vast improvement.

Most mainstream reviewers put in about 7 or 8 hours with a game before posting their reivews and don't see the major problems. If reviewers are seeing issues with this paltry time with a huge game, it's a bad sign. There are some wonky rumours out there. I'm hoping they are exaggerated.

Ultimately I suppose different people have different thresholds on what they will put up with. I'm sure we will all persevere through it anyway for the love of the game. :p

What rumours have you heard kirby?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

I've never actually play fallout.. Is it pretty much the same as TES but just a modern/gun version??

worth buying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

hypermuse wrote: »
    I've never actually play fallout.. Is it pretty much the same as TES but just a modern/gun version??

worth buying?

Yes, and yes.

Think TES set in a post apocalyptic wasteland. It's excellent

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i really should have given it more of a chance, played it for a few hours and never did again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

on the subject of fo3... can anyone reccomend some must play mods? feel like running through it while i wait for skyrim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Yes, and yes.

Think TES set in a post apocalyptic wasteland. It's excellent

well I love the TES so maybe I should give it a go! maybe next year.. gaming releases are crazy at the mo and cant afford to keep up!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

on the subject of fo3... can anyone reccomend some must play mods? feel like running through it while i wait for skyrim

Head over to nexus I think its called,mod heaven,I could never get the fallout out manager to work on my computer though :'(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yes do the monkey work Sir Digby Chicken Caesar and tell me what to install, good lad :D

you're a son of a bitch tar :)

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/13/10-essential-fallout-3-mods/

found this after a quick google, i'll have to look later on and see which mods work together well

i also did a quick google for dragon age: origins mods.. now I can't decide whether to play fo3 or da:o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

i also did a quick google for dragon age: origins mods.. now I can't decide whether to play fo3 or da:o

Thats a stupid question. The obvious answer is "Both, and straight away!" :D

Dragon age origins is brilliant in my opinion. It feels like a classic RPG from the nineties with modern-ish technology. Like if you just gave devs from the past the opportunity to make a game. It's like the anti-streamlined game and I loved it. On the PC anyway. Dragon age 2 was a decent game but it feels totally different and is nowhere near the same level.

What rumours have you heard kirby?

Texture problems, weird graphical glitches, NPC's disappearing, invisible walls, bugged main quests, etc. As I said, I'm hoping they are either exaggerated or the result of people playing on early release/cracked copies of the game and it doesn't represent the product we will be playing in week or two.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Some of the mods for Dragon Age are...hardcore.

:eek:

yeah.. im almost regretting skyrim coming out in 9 days now cos im gona get stuck into both of these

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

yeah.. im almost regretting skyrim coming out in 9 days now cos im gona get stuck into both of these

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!

i bet skyrim wont even have vats or deathclaws

it'll be ****e

it'll be ****e

:eek: *faints*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

it'll be ****e

prob wont have cliff racers either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

it'll be ****e

WUUUUUUUUHAT!? Well eh eh... ehhhhh YORE MA doesn't have vats or deathclaws either.

She's deadly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Wossack wrote: »
    prob wont have cliff racers either :(

Now how I am supposed to drive myself insane?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TheCrimsonClown

GameStop and Xtravision tell me they aren't doing any midnight openings for this. :(

Anywhere in Dublin doing one? I would try Tesco in Clare Hall come 12am but for Arkham City they weren't selling it till 9am. :confused:

bleh
    installed fo3 and mods twice, crashing on launch
    pain in the balls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

bleh
    installed fo3 and mods twice, crashing on launch
    pain in the balls

Needed to do a number of things before overhauling with loads of mods :D

- Mod Manager: Mostly Importantly - Mod Load order
    - Script Extender
    - Changing an .ini file (AFAIK) to let the game use dual cores on a quad core computer (otherwise would crash) if you had one

I think if it crashed on Launch it means there was a conflict between two (or more) mods, so you would have to go back into the mod manager and work your way through the list to see which one it was. Usually the Script extender took over that large portion of work though.

yeah i have the script extender and the fallout mod manager
    been playuing around with what mods I enable but no joy
    atm I only have fook2 and nmc's texture pack so its not likee there's loads of mods working against each other

ill have a look for that core ini thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Now how I am supposed to drive myself insane?

If you pre-order through Steam you get the Cliffracer DLC which adds them into the game. However, if you pre-order through Game you get the Dog Armor DLC and the Amazon pre-order grants you the VATS perk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

So how many Dragons are going to be in the game or is just the one big dragon you fight at several differnt intervals, which flies off or a trigger event happens to end the fight until the next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Approximately:

INFINITE DRAGONS!!!!

So how many Dragons are going to be in the game or is just the one big dragon you fight at several differnt intervals, which flies off or a trigger event happens to end the fight until the next time...

There not scripted apparently so they show up whenever they want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

There not scripted apparently so they show up whenever they want

Exactly. You could be fighting 1 dragon and then another two will swoop down to join the party!

Advertisement