Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Ah, nothing more like Oblivion than a cross-country manhunt for you after you accidently picked up someone else's spoon which would soon descend into mass murder as you vowed not to pay such a measly fine which would then escalate into the thousands as you slaughtered one gaurd after another just to buy yourself extra free time.

Ah, back then genocides were a dime a dozen and would appear at the drop of spoon.

11004506.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

I watched some of those videos.

It looks so much better than Oblivion in every way imaginable.

This comes out the day after my graduation. If there's a midnight release, I'm tempted to leave wherever I'm drinking (even if I'm somewhat steamed) and go collect it in my suit.

Somethings are more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Combat looks meehhh i never understood why Bethesda didnt copy Dark Messiahs combat it works so much better for this sort of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Stev_o wrote: »
    Combat looks meehhh i never understood why Bethesda didnt copy Dark Messiahs combat it works so much better for this sort of game.

Visceral melee combat is something that no game has done well in my opinion. Ever.

Unarmed Hand to hand is excellent in some games like Batman.....but can you name any game with melee weapon combat where people react realistically when hit? I can't think of any. It's always canned anmiations or overly dramatic rag doll.

Elder Scrolls combat is the same. But if no game can do it well, you can't really bag on them for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Kirby wrote: »
    Visceral melee combat is something that no game has done well in my opinion. Ever.

Unarmed Hand to hand is excellent in some games like Batman.....but can you name any game with melee weapon combat where people react realistically when hit? I can't think of any. It's always canned anmiations or overly dramatic rag doll.

Elder Scrolls combat is the same. But if no game can do it well, you can't really bag on them for it.

Eh yeah Dark Messiah hence why i mentioned it, it's combat system trumps anything Bethesda has done it's just stupid in past games of bludgeoning some half to death and they still act as if they haven't been touched.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mossay

Only valid (IMO) criticism I've seen so far (aside from doing away with the 3d view of your character as you applied new armor and weapons, but even then I can sort of understand since they are going for the whole unobtrusive UI style) is predictably the graphics.

It seems all the high resolution screenshots previously released were taken from the PC version, and the 360 version at least doesn't measure up to those standards.

On one hand I can understand as they obviously want to showcase their product in the best possible light, but it still feels like marketing trickery as all the in-game footage theyve shown has been for the xbox360 exclusively so someone could feel like theyve been tricked into pre-ordering as they automatically assumed the screenshots applied to their console version as all the previous footage did too.

That said, I've preordered for the PC and will relish every moment of this game and I expect I would have been easily able to look past the graphics and enjoy the core experience had I got a console version since its gearing up to be that good a game.

Remember. Steam. 2PM. GMT. Thursday. Australian Proxy. Skyrim. Unlock. Play. Superfuntime

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Stev_o wrote: »
    Eh yeah Dark Messiah hence why i mentioned it, it's combat system trumps anything Bethesda has done it's just stupid in past games of bludgeoning some half to death and they still act as if they haven't been touched.

Dark Messiah has some decent ragdoll and lovely death animations. It has realistic enough combat. But it has the same problems as all combat games.

Three examples for you. At 1:00 minute in the video, at 2:00 minute in the video and finally 2:46 in the video.

Player hits NPC with his sword.....and the enemy doesn't flinch. The enemy doesn't react at all. He doesn't fall backwards away from the blow or double over in pain the way a person would. He stands there like the hit hasn't registered.

We know the hit registered because he grunts and blood comes out but if the blood wasn't there we would have no idea he was hit because he didn't react to the blow at all.

As I said, I don't think you can be too critical of things like this as nobody has gotten it right yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

Got an early copy of the game and cant stop playing it.

Very happy with it at the moment.

Fighting dragons = cool. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

how'd you get an early copy!! thats 'illegal' :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

Nodferatu wrote: »
    how'd you get an early copy!! thats 'illegal' :)

The game was resting in my account. Thats all i saying... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Kirby wrote: »

Dark Messiah has some decent ragdoll and lovely death animations. It has realistic enough combat. But it has the same problems as all combat games.

Three examples for you. At 1:00 minute in the video, at 2:00 minute in the video and finally 2:46 in the video.

Player hits NPC with his sword.....and the enemy doesn't flinch. The enemy doesn't react at all. He doesn't fall backwards away from the blow or double over in pain the way a person would. He stands there like the hit hasn't registered.

We know the hit registered because he grunts and blood comes out but if the blood wasn't there we would have no idea he was hit because he didn't react to the blow at all.

As I said, I don't think you can be too critical of things like this as nobody has gotten it right yet.

The one thing that annoyed me about that game was the main character's Godlike Boot of Doom. Ended up being my main weapon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Vargulf

Just FYI the game is being played on this website. I'm going to go and chop off my hands now so I won't click play on any of them videos.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Who needs swords or magic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its just not possible to do melee combat in anyway decently with a pointing device, keyboard and the limited view of a screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BIGGIEsmall

Anyone know for sure what age this is?

I might have to send my little brother to pick it up for me so just wanna make sure if it's 18+ or not to know if he can buy it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Anyone know for sure what age this is?

I might have to send my little brother to pick it up for me so just wanna make sure if it's 18+ or not to know if he can buy it for me.

It's 16+, doubt he should have much trouble picking it up. It's not like when Modern Warfare 2 got surrounded by controversy upon it's release. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I've seen messages around everywhere for 11.11.11, and people talking about veterans day....but I knew there was something else more important to me happening on that day....then I seen this thread and was reminded !

Mwhahahah...less than a week !! :D.......ahhh......and even better....I just realised now I pre-ordered months ago, I don't even have to go buy it ! :D...Bonus !

Women Of The World, You’re On Notice

website article link i didnt write it so if offended go whinge to the website editors
    http://www.flesheatingzipper.com/games/2011/11/skyrim-releases-in-6-days-women-of-the-world-youre-on-notice/

• Do not knock, call out, whisper, whistle, snap your fingers, try to act sexy or in any other way attempt to get our attention. If you require sexual intercourse, please keep your head out from in front of the television.
    • Please make sure you keep us fed and hydrated. Mountain Dew, coffee, and water, in rotation, along with turkey sandwiches and cheese-nips will keep us alive. It’s not much to ask. Now go – you know where the kitchen is.
    • If we are shifting around in our seat and crossing our legs, please bring a bottle, bucket, casserole dish, trash bag or other suitable receptacle for us to pee in. Also, shake it twice. Our hands are busy.
    • If supplies begin to run low, head off to the store and stock up. Hurry back, though, in case we have to pee.
    • If a baby or small child begins to cry, please stop the sound from reaching us. Feed it, water it, change it or take it to your mother’s place but, for god’s sake, don’t just let it squeal away like an injured bunny…Hurry Back!
    • We’re going to need some form of hygiene. A sponge bath, once or twice daily, should keep mold from setting in.
    • If you notice obvious discomfort, application of “icy hot” or creme analgesics to the thumbs and trigger fingers is appreciated. Just make sure you back off if there’s a boss battle.
    • You MAY need to feed us. If so, please make sure you wipe our mouths…don’t forget the little bits of mayo in the corners, please!
    • If we fart and the paint starts to peel, just pretend it was the dog / cat / fish / hamster and deal with it. Remember, we haven’t been eating very healthy recently.
    • Steak, once a week. Baked potato and shrimp lets us know you REALLY love us. Small bites, please, so we don’t choke.
    • If we DO choke, please attempt to perform the Heimlich maneuver without causing us to lose our fix on the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Got a few lines into the above post and cringed so hard my eyebrows almost fell off. You've embarrassed yourself there mate.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Got a few lines into the above post and cringed so hard my eyebrows almost fell off. You've embarrassed yourself there mate.

i didn't make this up... is on a website so i haven't embarrassed myself. there mate

http://www.flesheatingzipper.com/games/2011/11/skyrim-releases-in-6-days-women-of-the-world-youre-on-notice/

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

right because none of us women ever play computer games

what a stupid post

it is stupid article, its so over the top thats why i posted it. its funny to me. apparently me only!! which is fair enough, everyone has different humor tastes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Nerdy gaming bloggers of the world you're on notice:-
    • You are idiots
    • You are not funny

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Conor_B

Any shops in Dublin break the street date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Aaaaaaaaanyway, back to Skyrim.

I like elves, do you like elves? I like elves.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,279 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lads anyone getting the Collectors edition?

I have it preordered but I just dont know will I buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Anyone have an idea what race they're going to be? I'm stuck between khajiit and wood elf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well my gf will be a khajit because it is a cat. And I will be some form of elf as I am a nerd.

Advertisement