Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

it's not allowed
    and we all hate you
    Thought so...for both statements. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

circos wrote: »
    No through normal means and probably best not to say aloud...not sure what the stance is on it.
    Piracy then? I would too just to get it early. Would buy it when it's out though, judging by the sound of it, they deserve the sales

• Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Apparently you can stop playing it... given you've taken the time to come on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

circos wrote: »
    I cant stop playing this game... Im like 15 hours in already...and ive barley scraped the main quest.

Is it buggy ? Whats the performance like ? The AI any good ?

Same as Tyrant also Draw distance and graphics...how are they?

• Advertisement

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    Is it buggy ? Whats the performance like ? The AI any good ?
    Ive experienced a few framerate drops (xbox) And once the game just froze on me completely but that hasnt happened again with the time ive played.

Fewer bugs so far than the previous games by bethesda it seems but again im not too far into it.

The AI is ok, dont see much of a difference. You can still kinda mess with them like leading them into a rock and while they try find a path around you can shoot arrows at them etc.

Im really enjoying it anyway. The map is huge and walking long distances has been really rewarding so far. Level design is amazing.

The leveling up and improving skills is much improved too. I wont go into too much detail cause im sure you have all been avoiding reading into it too much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I've also been playing it for a few days now and it is a great game. The textures are very poor up close but apart from that the graphics are by and large pretty good. There are times I think "jesus how did they ship this with such poor textures in 2011" and other times I think "holy sh*t that looks amazing!".

There are some annoying things that have crossed over from the Gamebyro engine. Poor character animation, clipping all over the place, characters getting stuck (even story characters i.e. getting stuck after walking around and talking to you facing the other way) and most of the other annoyances from Obilvion. Doesn't feel as polished as it should. Remember the gameplay video of Todd Howard walking through a quest in Bleak Falls Barrow? Remember how good it looked on the xbox in the video? It doesn't look as good in game. It must have been a special build because the lighting and textures are not as good in the actual release. It's not terrible, but don't expect to see the 100% the same graphical fidelity as you saw in the video. I did and I was disappointed. You get used to it though and like I said, there are some "wow" moments.

In saying that, gameplay is great, much more streamlined menus , quests are fun. It's a very different look and feel to Oblivion. It's got me hooked, I'm getting pleasantly frustrated because I keep getting involved in interesting side quests while trying to get through the main story.

Only bad point is that I'm in work between now and Friday and won't be able to play it! :(

EDIT: Draw distance is poor but that's to be expected on the xbox.

BrianG23 wrote: »
    Same as Tyrant also Draw distance and graphics...how are they?
    Draw distance looks great (for xbox i should mention, as above post says), theres a lot of mountains around so that probably hides some of the further distances but so far it looks well.

Im not blown away by the character detail, they look well but not a huge jump.

Its a huge improvment on Oblivion anyway and slighty improved on fallout for characters.

The detail in the environment is great though. Seems like everything was really thought out

Apparently you can stop playing it... given you've taken the time to come on here.
    I do have to work ya know :)

How are zee quests actually? Do any of them have decent stories so far? I thought OB lacked in that department. Besides DB, I can barely remember them actually besides them main quest and DB.

Ah well about the graphics, I put up with the other 3 without caring in the end. I imagine the art and design gives it a good look and the textures just get in your face every once in a while. I'll be getting Pc version anyway, provided I can't get it early....Or maybe I should just wait. I can apparently play it on high with potentially some AA @ 720p. With my 8800GTX. I really thought this GPU was completely outdated and wouldn't run the likes of it, now I find out I can manage alot of games at this rez

Edit--I mean like...the quests, do they seem Obliviony or the DLC to Oblivion which where quite good imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Think I will hold off until it gets patched !
    NPCs getting stuck and exploitable is a gamebreaker for me !

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    Think I will hold off until it gets patched !
    NPCs getting stuck and exploitable is a gamebreaker for me !

Only a few enemies. Big animals etc Not all of them.

Day 1 patch is fixing some stuff. Hopefully that one of the things

Well Day 1 for most

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Sad news... have decided to wait until christmas to get Skyrim as I'm getting a a shiny new PS3. Decided to wait as going to play MW3 until then. heart wrenching decision! But it'll be visually much better on the PS than Xbox!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Sad news... have decided to wait until christmas to get Skyrim as I'm getting a a shiny new PS3. Decided to wait as going to play MW3 until then. heart wrenching decision! But it'll be visually much better on the PS than Xbox!

Hve you seen much of a comparison? Just curious cause I'll be getting it on PS3.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Hve you seen much of a comparison? Just curious cause I'll be getting it on PS3.
    I'd like to see this as well, especially if it includes a comparison to PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Dr.Poca wrote: »

Not a particularly huge difference if I'm honest.

Aaaaahh!! I think I'll just do the reverse, get Skyrim Friday for Xbox and get MW3 for the PS3 at xmas!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There's no comparisons yet, as it's not been released. Usually takes a day or two. Pc will be better, but i can't see there being much difference between the 2 consoles.

Aaaaahh!! I think I'll just do the reverse, get Skyrim Friday for Xbox and get MW3 for the PS3 at xmas!!

Sure chances are MW4 will be out by Christmas anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

new COD every year as far as i can see... its the trend now. i prefer a game developer to take their time and make an epic game 5 years between oblivion and the follow up skyrim, rather than a game being pushed/rushed out every year for the sake of keeping the fans happy.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

This is extremely unlikely as the xbox was the target hardware on the development of Skyrim.

I'll be playing it on PC though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Kiith wrote: »
    There's no comparisons yet, as it's not been released. Usually takes a day or two. Pc will be better, but i can't see there being much difference between the 2 consoles.

cant see there being a significant difference either tbh!
    Nodferatu wrote: »
    new COD every year as far as i can see... its the trend now. i prefer a game developer to take their time and make an epic game 5 years between oblivion and the follow up skyrim, rather than a game being pushed/rushed out every year for the sake of keeping the fans happy.

Fully agree but at same time.. its just not as good business! Look how much activision make every year!

Personally, I'd pick TES over COD anyday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Necron

The graphics ability of a ps3 is marginally better, not really worth buying one over the other just for that small difference and at least Microsoft encrypts there user data. Overall though skyrim would be best for the pc, for the simple reason that you can then add in mods to the game for replay later on.

Depends on Betheda, just look at Fallout 3 anyway, worse on Ps3 by a noticeable amount. Bethesda are used to Pc hardware I assume(360). More bugs too. As for Oblivion, it came out a year later and the port was handle by someone else. Bethesda didn't even make the Ps3 version

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Will there be a skyrim downfall video out before the game is released? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Anyone know what the story is with the pre-order premium map? Asked in Game, Gamestation and HMV, and all said they don't think they're getting it. Does it possibly come included with all of the first batch of stock, like the Bulletstorm Epic Edition?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Elessar wrote: »
    I've also been playing it for a few days now and it is a great game. The textures are very poor up close but apart from that the graphics are by and large pretty good. There are times I think "jesus how did they ship this with such poor textures in 2011" and other times I think "holy sh*t that looks amazing!".

Remember how good it looked on the xbox in the video? It doesn't look as good in game. It must have been a special build because the lighting and textures are not as good in the actual release. It's not terrible, but don't expect to see the 100% the same graphical fidelity as you saw in the video. I did and I was disappointed. You get used to it though and like I said, there are some "wow" moments.

Draw distance is poor but that's to be expected on the xbox.

For the tl;dr people. Translation = get it on the PC! :D

how is steam more expensive? :S

Simple, they rip you off at every turn.

I love what steam offers in some respects. All your games in one place, you can download the games you paid for onto other PC's without obtrsuvie DRM etc.

But pricing is a disaster. A few years ago they stopped giving seperate prices for europe and just made the dollar to euro conversion 1:1. Pretty outrageous for digital distribution if you ask me.

Leaving conversion rates aside, digital distrubution is far, far cheaper than brick and mortar for the publishers. We should be seeing savings. Instead steam is always more expensive for new games. It's a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

Kirby wrote: »
    For the tl;dr people. Translation = get it on the PC! :D

Simple, they rip you off at every turn.

I love what steam offers in some respects. All your games in one place, you can download the games you paid for onto other PC's without obtrsuvie DRM etc.

But pricing is a disaster. A few years ago they stopped giving seperate prices for europe and just made the dollar to euro conversion 1:1. Pretty outrageous for digital distribution if you ask me.

Leaving conversion rates aside, digital distrubution is far, far cheaper than brick and mortar for the publishers. We should be seeing savings. Instead steam is always more expensive for new games. It's a farce.

+1

why Im tending towards buying steam games from keyresellers (g2play.net in particular)

Don't blame Steam alone for the high prices though. Publishers set the prices afaik, and if they set it high, then Steam doesn't have a choice. I'd also love to know just how much say the likes of Gamestop have on digital pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Kiith wrote: »
    Don't blame Steam alone for the high prices though. Publishers set the prices afaik, and if they set it high, then Steam doesn't have a choice. I'd also love to know just how much say the likes of Gamestop have on digital pricing.

I don't buy that for one second. What about the pricing on games valve publish like Portal and Left for Dead? Whats their excuse there?

The argument of "Oh its the big bad publishers fault!" kind of falls flat with those games. Steam has been a complete rip-off for years. Atleast for europeans anyway.

Case in point, Football Manager 2012. They made it a steam exclusive this year to combat piracy so you have to use steam to play it. Thats fine. It costs 49.99 on Steam. You can buy it for 30 quid perfectly legit from a numer of websites. Thats exactly what I did. Where exactly is the excuse for the disparity here?

Advertisement