Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Its moreso about overheads and piracy control. Another relation to the games industry: the book industry. Is a good example to look at both sides of the coin; the way they are starting to 'sell/distribute' on ereaders.

One could say they are over-priced; the files are tiny, wouldnt take up valuable server space, they don't have to pay to print 'hardcopy' books, printers, inks, van drivers, shop owners, the chain goes on and on... yet they can still tell you its €10 for a book when all it is a glorified text file. BUT that is not what you are paying for you are moreso paying the author for his work who is taking his losses on the distributors taking their cut for releasing via their logistical support.

Akin to the gamin ndustry its the animators, the designers, the creators, the developers, the script writers, etc etc who are the main benefactors of the sale price and not the publisher just because they are making it easier to release the game not on 'hardcopy'.

EA bringing out Origin is another example of this coming to the fore I think its smart, it'll drive overheards down, its easier to control piracy, more accessible for the end user to get access to, slightly cheaper, more support and safety guarantee on the product quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Its moreso about overheads and piracy control. Another relation to the games industry: the book industry. Is a good example to look at both sides of the coin; the way they are starting to 'sell/distribute' on ereaders.

One could say they are over-priced; the files are tiny, wouldnt take up valuable server space, they don't have to pay to print 'hardcopy' books, printers, inks, van drivers, shop owners, the chain goes on and on... yet they can still tell you its €10 for a book when all it is a glorified text file. BUT that is not what you are paying for you are moreso paying the author for his work who is taking his losses on the distributors taking their cut for releasing via their logistical support.

Akin to the gamin ndustry its the animators, the designers, the creators, the developers, the script writers, etc etc who are the main benefactors of the sale price and not the publisher just because they are making it easier to release the game not on 'hardcopy'.

EA bringing out Origin is another example of this coming to the fore I think its smart, it'll drive overheards down, its easier to control piracy, more accessible for the end user to get access to, slightly cheaper, more support and safety guarantee on the product quality.
    Sell your soul so they dont have to worry about piracy. Nice world we live in :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Sell your soul so they dont have to worry about piracy. Nice world we live in :rolleyes:

Some would say that was the moment you commited your first sin!
    Seriously though, if you feel so strongly that your soul is being traded, by purchasing a computer game, your in the wrong forum!

Your soul isnt being sold buy buying a game, its these sign ups that bug me, I for one have never stolen a game but I am being punished for it while the pirates play away with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I get the point you are making but hear me out.

The physical medium costs more to produce.....and the customer gets more. He gets a box. He gets a manual. He gets a DVD he can take where he wants. He gets the knowledge that in ten years he can pop it in and play it. Digital Downloads rely on servers being around forever. They wont be.

Their costs are lower and instead of passing the saving onto the customer, they just take a bigger cut. You can say thats business and thats fine. I would agree with you........IF the only available version of the product was a digital version. But it isn't. You can buy the superior physical version for less in a physical store.

I like steam. I like what it offers. But at the very least, the price should be the same. Ideally, Digital download should be cheaper....but I can live with it being the same. What isn't 'okay' is for games to cost 50% more on steam than they do in the shops.

The bottom line is that with steam their costs are lower, you pay more.....and you get an inferior product for your troubles. Anyway, we are getting off-topic here. I would simply say that i'm betting that like nearly every other game, Skyrim will end up costing more on steam than anywhere else. And thats kind of bs if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Necron

Whatever you say about steam its still better than origin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Necron wrote: »

As much as i'd agree at the moment, remember what Steam was like this early in it's life. Give it some time and you might be singing it's praises.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Necron wrote: »

true dat :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Any word on a steam pre-load yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,799 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They arent gonna let me pre-load if I preordered somewhere else are they. ****s.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    They arent gonna let me pre-load if I preordered somewhere else are they. ****s.

Not really following? So you cant pre-load if you pre-order on steam??

Anyone fancy a trip to Amsterdam for some hookers, drugs and Skyrim?

http://kotaku.com/5857428/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-on-sale-now-in-the-netherlands

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i bet the NL pc master race are furious right now :) they still have to wait until steam lets the play on friday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

xtal191 wrote: »

Is this a reputable site, anyone used them before?

Edit - can use PayPal, that's a good sign surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

danthefan wrote: »
    Is this a reputable site, anyone used them before?

Edit - can use PayPal, that's a good sign surely?

€23 - 5%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

We should be able to preload at this stage, the servers will be overloaded otherwise on release day :(

I'll happily get it on Steam if I can preload it now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

xtal191 wrote: »

Thanks for that, just bought it there :D Hopefully I'll get a key before Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Question: if I bought a steam key off a US site, and then later tried to buy DLC for it on the EU store, would it work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I pre-ordered my key from G2Play a good while back when they had it cheaper. I also emailed them asking when they'd be giving out the keys and they said not until release date... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

For people wondering between Ps3 and 360 versions, just spotted this after reading that there would be a day one patch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-26-skyrim-dlc-timed-xbox-360-exclusive

I really do not agree with day 1 DLC, it smacks of money grubbing, they already got 60 bucks now they want another 20, ON DAY ONE? why is it not on the disk with the rest of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Irish lad working for gamespot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

I really do not agree with day 1 DLC, it smacks of money grubbing, they already got 60 bucks now they want another 20, ON DAY ONE? why is it not on the disk with the rest of the game.

Where did you hear that?:confused:

afaik, Skyrim will get a day 1 patch not dlc, and no dlc news has been released.
    What Howard is sure of is that we shouldn’t expect to see this DLC anytime soon after launch, though we know that when it does launch, it will do so first on the Xbox 360.
    “We’ll start hitting on everything after vacation,” Howard said. “We’ll take a break [after the game launches], see what consumers think of the game, then see which direction we want to go.”
    Source

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Not day 1, whenever it is released it has a month exclusive on 360 is all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Direct 2 Drive just tweeted that you can preload Skyrim now. Not sure if it's true mind you.
    http://twitter.com/#!/Direct2Drive/statuses/134009234206638080

Is anywhere actually doing a midnight opening for this? Wasn't going to bother, but i'm off on Friday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Conor_B

Kiith wrote: »
    Anyone fancy a trip to Amsterdam for some hookers, drugs and Skyrim?

http://kotaku.com/5857428/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-on-sale-now-in-the-netherlands

I wish the same would happen here....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Kiith wrote: »
    Is anywhere actually doing a midnight opening for this? Wasn't going to bother, but i'm off on Friday anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=181685468582848

if you're near one of these places you're in luck

Advertisement