Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

People are talking about quests and companions...I think it's time i leave. I'll see you all on Tuesday after my marathon session!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

They didn't for BF3 and games before SKyrim, we can only assume they won't now. Tey have no reason to either really, they could be ****s though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

SO guys roughly how many dungeons are there to explore and collect goodies from?

God I hope my Pc can run it well, better than the consoles I hope. 8800GTX @ 720p. I've been told it should be good at that res

Oh shi* 1 hour ti go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

You b*******s! I have to wait til midnight :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I dunno which version to get: PS3 or Xbox 360?

hehehehe. That's how I felt till I realized I had 2 quid on Paypal

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mossay

lol @ kryptotel reaching its limit on free vpn accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just got my code off Gamesplanet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I dunno which version to get: PS3 or Xbox 360?

probably xbox, bethesda games generally run better and have less bugs on xbox (They used it to showcase any footage aswel iirc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

PCGamer review is now live lads.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/10/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-review/
    Don’t worry, I’m not going to spoil anything here – I’ll steer clear of anything story-related beyond the premise. With another game, that would be tricky. With Skyrim, the stories that come from how the game works are often the best ones.
    It’s a frozen nation, just to the north of where the previous game, Oblivion, took place. A pleasantly brief introduction sets up the plot: Skyrim is in the middle of a revolt, you’ve been sentenced to death, and dragons have just shown up. Good luck!
    At that point, you emerge from a cave into 40 square kilometres of cold and mountainous country, and that’s it. Everything else is up to you.
    Even after spending hundreds of hours in Morrowind and Oblivion, the sense of freedom in Skyrim is dizzying. The vast mountains in every direction make the landscape seem limitless, and even after exploring it for 55 hours, this world feels huge and unknown on a scale neither of the previous two games did.
    Skyrim-review-publisher-1-590x331.jpg
    Not all of the landscape is subzero, and even among the frosty climes there’s an exciting variety: ice caverns that tinkle with dripping frost crystals, hulking mountains with curls of snow whipped up by the howling wind, coniferous forests in rocky river valleys.
    The mountains change everything. Wherever you decide to head, your journey is split between scrambling up treacherous rocks and skidding down heart-stopping slopes. The landscape is a challenge, and travel becomes a game.
    It’s hard to walk for a minute in any direction without encountering an intriguing cave, a lonely shack, some strange stones, a wandering traveller, a haunted fort. These were sparse and quickly repetitive in Oblivion, but they’re neither in Skyrim: it’s teeming with fascinating places, all distinct. It was 40 hours before I blundered into a dungeon that looked like one I’d seen before, and even then what I was doing there was drastically different.
    These places are the meat of Skyrim, and they’re what makes it feel exciting to explore. You creep through them with your heart in your mouth, your only soundtrack the dull groan of the wind outside, to discover old legends, dead heroes, weird artefacts, dark gods, forgotten depths, underground waterfalls, lost ships, hideous insects and vicious traps. It’s the best Indiana Jones game ever made.
    Skyrim-review-publisher-21-590x331.jpg
    The dragons don’t show up until you do the first few steps of the game’s main quest, so it’s up to you whether you want them terrorising the world as you wander around. A world where you can crest a mountain to find a 40-foot flying lizard spitting jets of ice at the village below is a much more interesting one to be in. But fighting them never changes much: you can just ignore them until they land, then shoot them from a distance when they do.
    Your first dragon kill is a profound, weird moment. I rushed to the crashed carcass to loot it, then looked up. The whole town had come out to stand around and stare at the body, a thing as vast and alien to them as a T-rex in a museum.
    I tried shooting an ice bolt at it, just to demonstrate it was dead, and the force unexpectedly catapulted the whole thing violently into the distance. A beggar looked at me and said, “Oh sure, just throw your trash around.”
    Skyrim-review-publisher-5-590x331.jpg
    Your character gets better at whatever you do: firing a bow, sneaking up on people, casting healing spells, mixing potions, swinging an axe. There’s always been an element of this practice-based system in Elder Scrolls games, but in Skyrim it’s unrestricted – you don’t have to decide what you’re going to focus on when you create your character, you can just let it develop organically.
    That alone would feel a little too hands-off, but you also level up. When that happens, you get a perk point: something you can spend on a powerful improvement to a skill you particularly like. Every hour, you’re making a major decision about your character’s abilities.
    They’re dramatic. The first point you put into Destruction magic lets you stream jets of flame from your hands for twice as long as before. As you continue to invest in one skill, you can get more interesting tweaks: I now have an Archery perk that slows down time when I aim my bow, and one for the Sneak skill that lets me do a stealthy forward roll.
    Again, the freedom is dizzying: every one of 18 skills has a tree of around 15 perks, and the range of heroes you could build is vast. I focused on Sneak to the point of absurdity – now I’m almost invisible, and I get a 3,000% damage bonus for backstabs with daggers. It’s the play style I’ve always wanted in an RPG, but I’ve never been able to achieve it before.
    Skyrim-review-publisher-7-590x331.jpg
    The enemies you encounter are, in some cases, generated by the game to match the level of your character. In Oblivion that sometimes felt like treading water: progress was just a stat increase, and your enemies kept pace. That doesn’t apply now that your character is defined more by his or her perks, because the way you play is always changing.
    Levelled content is also just used less: at level 30, my most common enemies are still bandits with low-level weapons. And I still run into things too dangerous for me to tackle.
    Taking a narrow mountain path to a quest, something stops me in my tracks: a dragon roar. I check the skies – nothing, but I hear it again three more times before the peak.
    At the top I find a camp full of bodies, with a large black bear roaring over them. Hah. He’s still more than I can handle in straight combat, but as he reaches me I use a Dragon Shout. It befriends any animal instantly, and he saunters casually away. Feeling slightly guilty, I stab him in the back before it wears off.
    Which is when the dragon lands, with an almighty crash, six feet from my face.
    I run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

CVG review:
    9.5/10 A vast, open world overflowing with excitement, danger, mystery and humour. Truly, a generation-defining RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

X360A review:
    Simply put, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has raised the bar in the RPG genre, offering a plethora of engaging and unique content in one of the most immersive and beautiful game worlds ever created. Plus, any game that uses the word “lollygagging” deserves eternal praise. 99/100

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the closer we come to midnight, the less I think i'l actually be able to wait until 9am tomorrow morning to go to gamestop

might juist try to find a cheap keyseller online and buy it this afternoon

Eurogamer
    10/10
    Edge
    9/10
    Gamespot
    9.0/10
    IGN
    9.5/10

Come on delivery driver, should be here any minute now.:D

the closer we come to midnight, the less I think i'l actually be able to wait until 9am tomorrow morning to go to gamestop

Some gamestops are doing a midnight launch. Feasible for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

IT'S HERE!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Eurogamer
    10/10
    Edge
    9/10
    Gamespot
    9.0/10
    IGN
    9.5/10

Come on delivery driver, should be here any minute now.:D

9 from Edge is massive, because they always slate open world Bethesda affairs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Some gamestops are doing a midnight launch. Feasible for you?

nah, carlow gamestop isn't :(

9 from Edge is massive, because they always slate open world Bethesda affairs.

That was my thoughts too. Game of the year contender here, but we knew that already.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Glad the reviews are good... just pray to god that the PS3 version isn't a mess like fallout3 was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

G2PLAY.net! Be smart, pay less ;) to me
    1:04 PM (16 minutes ago)

Hello,

We're currently sending these keys, it won't take longer than 4h.

Best Regards

WOOHOO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yup, might just end up buying it on Steam and getting it tonight,rather than waiting til tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

They had it on the shelves in gamespot tallaght and I got very excited but alas its not on sale to tomorrow. But they are doing an 8am opening so at least theres that.
    After watching the gamespot video review i want it now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

With the activating aspect, the only differences between regions is so they can set the price to match the RRP for that region, which will differ due to taxes etc. Once you've bought the game in your own region, Steam and Bethesda really aren't going to care if you get to play it a few hours earlier.
    Yeah, the
    dinner party where you had to bump off all the other guests
    was a personal favourite :D
    Even better if you had read the book it was based off.

Also, RPS's review. tldr version, some small flaws, a ridiculous amount of stuff to do and overall a return to Morrowind level of quality rather than the not quite so good Oblivion and Fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Grrrrr no word from the courier yet despite it being shipped yesterday! Anyone else still not got their copy from gs express delivery?

joe123 wrote: »
    Grrrrr no word from the courier yet despite it being shipped yesterday! Anyone else still not got their copy from gs express delivery?
    Ive heard of some people not getting them until 4 in the afternoon. Might have a small bit more to wait until you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭BrerWolf

GS shipped my CE for PS3 yesterday, but no sign of it yet.
    I'm having it delivered to work, so its not a case of me not being there to pick it up either....

COME ON!!!!! GIMME!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

joe123 wrote: »

Got mine delivered 5 mins ago. box is massive! did anyone get them novels delivered aswell?

• Advertisement

I'm still waiting for my delivery too. Still time though.

I didn't get MW3 till 4pm on Tuesday.

Advertisement