Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The combat in Oblivion did always piss me off. Coming off Dark Souls as well I can't imagine it could have anywhere near the depth of that game.

That said, it's not really what I'd play this game for. Just exploring a world of such detail is a promising prospect. I'm more excited about Zelda, but Skyrim I'm moderately curious about too.

But the biggest one: how are the dungeons? I like Oblivion (if not love) but by jove those repetitive dungeons drove me mad before the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

Stev_o wrote: »
    I don't know haven't gotten that far. But it just doesn't feel right. Games like Dark Messiah have done it better in how blows should weigh and feel. Here it feels so fake you run up to someone and constantly click to they die (They hardly notice unless they go below 15 percent health). It just doesn't feel right at all which is a shame cause their is SO much stuff to like. Hell ill put 100 hours into this game but this is one thing that will drive me mad.

yea i know what u mean that does sound a bit on the naff side, anything like vats from fallout in the game or a critical attack marker or sumthing like that? again its prob too early in the game for all that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The combat in Oblivion did always piss me off. Coming off Dark Souls as well I can't imagine it could have anywhere near the depth of that game.

That said, it's not really what I'd play this game for. Just exploring a world of such detail is a promising prospect. I'm more excited about Zelda, but Skyrim I'm moderately curious about too.

But the biggest one: how are the dungeons? I like Oblivion (if not love) but by jove those repetitive dungeons drove me mad before the end.
    padz wrote: »
    yea i know what u mean that does sound a bit on the naff side, anything like vats from fallout in the game or a critical attack marker or sumthing like that? again its prob too early in the game for all that

God you reminded me of playing Dark Souls there and the comparison between the combat is just insane. One does combat very well the other doesn't. The problem lies in the fact that you can't really tell a story about it.

"I ran up to this guy and clicked till he died with little resistance"

"I carefully approached this guy got a feel for his attacks, I made a dash to get him after he had left himself open and finished him"

Mean like at the start of the game you get a Axe (SPOILERS SPOILERS :p) and I was like Aww Yeah im going to feel like a badass now. But when I used it the only difference between it and any other weapon was one, the time it took to swing it, two how much damage it did.

There was no sense of any power coming through with my swings, the game recognised I had successful hit someone and that was that their health pool was deducted and they waited for a new collision.

Gandalph wrote: »
    Anywere in dublin doing a midnight launch for this?

gamestop http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=181685468582848

Elder Scrolls Skyrim Midnight launches in the following stores Thursday! Letterkenny, Dundalk, Derry, Belfast Patrick Street Cork, William Street Limerick, Waterford, Pavilions Swords and Henry Street Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

So to those playing it now, is melee combat actually worse than it was in Oblivion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got a good gaming PC but have a hard time buying PC games this close to Christmas, might get it on PS3 and then off steam in a few weeks.

God you reminded me of playing Dark Souls there and the comparison between the combat is just insane. One does combat very well the other doesn't. The problem lies in the fact that you can't really tell a story about it.

"I ran up to this guy and clicked till he died with little resistance"

"I carefully approached this guy got a feel for his attacks, I made a dash to get him after he had left himself open and finished him"

Mean like at the start of the game you get a Axe (SPOILERS SPOILERS :p) and I was like Aww Yeah im going to feel like a badass now. But when I used it the only difference between it and any other weapon was one, the time it took to swing it, two how much damage it did.

There was no sense of any power coming through with my swings, the game recognised I had successful hit someone and that was that their health pool was deducted and they waited for a new collision.

just found this uploaded yest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Gx3xk51W0

havent played dark souls myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Giantbomb are doing a live 12 hour marathon, alot more watchable than IGN, cos you know.... it's IGN....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Once again, I fail to see the appeal of watching someone else play a game online for an extended time period :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Cant wait to kill some bosmer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Once again, I fail to see the appeal of watching someone else play a game online for an extended time period :pac:

Same,it bores me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I usually agree, it's my first time looking at one. But i'm really on the fence as to buy it or not, so i'm trying to decide by watching this!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ugh, reading about the pc version and i'm not optimistic. Apparently simple things like mouse support is horribly done. No mouse support for most menu's (grapical sliders etc...).

Hope this isn't as bad as it sounds. I really don't want to have to use a controller.

Kiith wrote: »
    Ugh, reading about the pc version and i'm not optimistic. Apparently simple things like mouse support is horribly done. No mouse support for most menu's (grapical sliders etc...).

Hope this isn't as bad as it sounds. I really don't want to have to use a controller.

It's quite terrible at places. It forces you to use your keyboard for a lot of things when you think you should be able to use your mouse.

For example. The quest menu. Split into Primary and Misc. All quests are then displayed in a tab to your right. You'd think you d simply click the quest and get info for it. No you have to use WASD to navigate through it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

For example. The quest menu. Split into Primary and Misc. All quests are then displayed in a tab to your right. You'd think you d simply click the quest and get info for it. No you have to use WASD to navigate through it.

That's disgracefully bad mechanics for a game on the pc. Seems like they just ported over the console control scheme, and mapped the keys to the keyboards. I hear if you change the control, the tutorial still displays the default controls as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

let's not forget one great thing about gaming on a pc

other people can fix the **** the developers lump us with

Kiith wrote: »
    That's disgracefully bad mechanics for a game on the pc. Seems like they just ported over the console control scheme, and mapped the keys to the keyboards. I hear if you change the control, the tutorial still displays the default controls as well.

It's quite horrid.

There are some UI choices that make zero sense to me either.

Like tab is basically a radial menu where you can select Items, Maps,Magic and Skills. That's fine but did someone not think "You know since this is quite handy why don't we add Journal to this radial menu too".

It's just annoys me so much you have a easy system but make so limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

its only entertaining when its yogscast tbh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

mine just shipped at 9pm, and now I wait.
    Think they could have shipped before now seeing as it's ordered so long ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Sparko

mine just shipped at 9pm, and now I wait.
    Think they could have shipped before now seeing as it's ordered so long ago?

Amazon is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sitting here listening to the theme on youtube and it just hit me..

it's almost time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

roll on december :( at least the game should be patched up a bit by then, il probably have a list of mods as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

With DRM now being used for every game on platforms such as steam and origin, its annoying that they cant just sell the physical copy's of PC version when they get them in store.

Soooo........ any nude mods yet? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

DrMorphine wrote: »
    With DRM now being used for every game on platforms such as steam and origin, its annoying that they cant just sell the physical copy's of PC version when they get them in store.

Oh the joys of console gaming! :D

On topic though, what's people's first impressions of it? Half tempted to pick it up tomorrow but fear it will eat every waking hour I don't have work for the next 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Had to stop for a break there. I'm loving it so far. But it's got a hell of a lot of problems and I'm not even that far into it (just finished the first proper dungeon).

The UI is at times moronic. As said, it's just ported over from the console with no thought put into it at all. I wouldn't even mind as much if it let you use the mouse, but most of the time it just gives you a pointer but doesn't let you click on anything. Thankfully I'm starting to get a little faster navigating with the WASD keys.

The game's beautiful until you get close to things. Some of the textures looks fairly rough, and things like water falling or flowing is just a moving texture and sprites, which is odd considering what the likes of Crysis did with water years ago. It's still a really good looking game, though. I think that any graphical complaints can me forgiven with the actual design of the world. Again, I'm only near the start, but there's a whole lot of love put into the making of this world, and it shows.

Combat is fairly pants if you stick to melee weapons. Magic can be pretty cool (especially setting fire to puddles of oil) but I'm loving the archery. Finally a game has made the bow a viable choice!

It's well worth picking up, IMO, for anyone still on the fence. So far I've not come across any bugs, by the way. But maybe I'm just lucky.

And does anyone know how to make iron bars out of ore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

humanji wrote: »
    Had to stop for a break there. I'm loving it so far. But it's got a hell of a lot of problems and I'm not even that far into it (just finished the first proper dungeon).

The UI is at times moronic. As said, it's just ported over from the console with no thought put into it at all. I wouldn't even mind as much if it let you use the mouse, but most of the time it just gives you a pointer but doesn't let you click on anything. Thankfully I'm starting to get a little faster navigating with the WASD keys.

The game's beautiful until you get close to things. Some of the textures looks fairly rough, and things like water falling or flowing is just a moving texture and sprites, which is odd considering what the likes of Crysis did with water years ago. It's still a really good looking game, though. I think that any graphical complaints can me forgiven with the actual design of the world. Again, I'm only near the start, but there's a whole lot of love put into the making of this world, and it shows.

Combat is fairly pants if you stick to melee weapons. Magic can be pretty cool (especially setting fire to puddles of oil) but I'm loving the archery. Finally a game has made the bow a viable choice!

It's well worth picking up, IMO, for anyone still on the fence. So far I've not come across any bugs, by the way. But maybe I'm just lucky.

And does anyone know how to make iron bars out of ore?

In terms of the combat, is there any gore or dismemberment, or is it just like killing mannequins like Oblivion?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

DarkJager wrote: »
    In terms of the combat, is there any gore or dismemberment, or is it just like killing mannequins like Oblivion?
    It's fairly similar to Oblivion. It feels a bit more satisfying, but not much. They do have some kill animations that happen randomly, which sometimes actually really make the combat feel more interactive. For example, I was attacking these zombie lads with a hand axe. After swinging a few times (which felt like I was hitting air), there was an animation where I stuck the axe into a zombies head and had to reef it out.

It's not much of an improvement, but it does add a little something to it. Someone said that as you get perks, it makes it better. But I've not had a chance to try it yet.

• Advertisement

So to those playing it now, is melee combat actually worse than it was in Oblivion?
    Anyone?

Also, given the problems with the UI on pc, have any of you tried with a 360 controller for example?

Advertisement