Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Anyone?

Also, given the problems with the UI on pc, have any of you tried with a 360 controller for example?
    I heard on reviews melee gets better the more points or whatever you put in, but its floaty still better than Oblivion

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Anyone?

Also, given the problems with the UI on pc, have any of you tried with a 360 controller for example?
    As I was saying, it's a slight improvement on Oblivion. Hopefully it'll be modded eventually.

As for the controller, I tried using it at the start, but it was too awkward. In-game, mouse and keyboard is perfect. But in the menus, it takes getting used to as it really is designed for a controller. And it's just not practical to be switching controllers every two minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

how will this differ to dark souls, is it better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

how will this differ to dark souls, is it better?

Controller mortality rate will be significantly lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

humanji wrote: »
    It's fairly similar to Oblivion. It feels a bit more satisfying, but not much. They do have some kill animations that happen randomly, which sometimes actually really make the combat feel more interactive. For example, I was attacking these zombie lads with a hand axe. After swinging a few times (which felt like I was hitting air), there was an animation where I stuck the axe into a zombies head and had to reef it out.

It's not much of an improvement, but it does add a little something to it. Someone said that as you get perks, it makes it better. But I've not had a chance to try it yet.

You can unlock a perk that lets you decapitate enemies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

humanji wrote: »
    As I was saying, it's a slight improvement on Oblivion. Hopefully it'll be modded eventually.

As for the controller, I tried using it at the start, but it was too awkward. In-game, mouse and keyboard is perfect. But in the menus, it takes getting used to as it really is designed for a controller. And it's just not practical to be switching controllers every two minutes.
    Okay. Melee in Oblivion wasn't one of the things that really annoyed me, so I can live with a slight improvememnt. Hopefully a fix, or even a mod to sort out the UI menus and such will be a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Unlocked now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

Unlocked, installing... wow, that was the longest day of my life. I bet I'll spend the first 3 hours creating a character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Got a premium map with my standard edition :D As much as I despise GAME, it's fantastic to see a queue of about 60/70 people waiting to buy the game

To those already playing, and those about to install/fire her up for the first time.... enjoy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

For those interested you can remove the **** UI, apparently, by removing the "gamepad support" option.

Have fun ~

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

http://imgur.com/a/62SFc

& http://imgur.com/a/wlmLm

Ultra high-res INGAME PC screenshots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Just got the game on disc...got home....went to install and it started downloading the whole thing from steam.....

Someone help :(

PLEASE! I beg of thee...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RufustheKing

So to those playing it now, is melee combat actually worse than it was in Oblivion?

Just killed my first dragon and can say the fighting is better than oblivion. there is a few bugs(PS3) like the game frezzeing before kill animations and arrows locking on to my bow even after i let go of the fire button. the magic is cool looking and even better with 5.1 sound :) th whole menu system for me has hard to get used to at first but now i am getting used to it.

edit: thank you game stop for delievering it early :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

KonFusion wrote: »
    Just got the game on disc...got home....went to install and it started downloading the whole thing from steam.....

Someone help :(

PLEASE! I beg of thee...

thats how the installer from the disk looks for some reason.

But it's going so slow.

And at points it goes to 0 and stays there.

My friend installed his in 11mins and we're on the same connection. Mine says 6 hours.

I'm freaking out :O

Just killed my first dragon and can say the fighting is better than oblivion. there is a few bugs(PS3) like the game frezzeing before kill animations and arrows locking on to my bow even after i let go of the fire button. the magic is cool looking and even better with 5.1 sound :) th whole menu system for me has hard to get used to at first but now i am getting used to it.

edit: thank you game stop for delievering it early :)
    Good stuff, thanks Rufus :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Played about 2 hours so far, really enjoying it! I love just wandering around looking at stuff and talking to random people. Can see over 100 hours being put into this :)

KonFusion wrote: »
    But it's going so slow.

And at points it goes to 0 and stays there.

My friend installed his in 11mins and we're on the same connection. Mine says 6 hours.

I'm freaking out :O

Reinstalled 4 times. deleted content. reinstalled. Worked on the 4th time. Installing from disc now. dunno wtf was up.

If I ever meet Gabe Newell I'm kicking him square in the balls....hard!

• Advertisement

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Played about 2 hours so far, really enjoying it! I love just wandering around looking at stuff and talking to random people. Can see over 100 hours being put into this :)

i have been playing if for about 3 and so far it has been rainy,snowy and foggy and i can see that far off :( fecking realism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Lads, on the PC, how do I bind weapons to numbers? The GUI is a bit ****, i dont mind that much but I cannot stand using the 'Q' Favourite Weapons menu.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Yeah the Q favourites button is gonna take a bit of getting used to. Dunno how to bind weapons, would like to know this also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

when ever i step on a pile of bones my character seems to be shot in a random direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

P.S.
    I killed the f**king bear oh yeh!!! no sneaky sneaky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I can't wait to start playing this game...

hurry up morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Such an amazing game. Levels of customisation are great!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ok, so first impressions after about 2 hours of play...

Bad things first...UI isn't great. Definitely designed with a console in mind, and is pretty clunky with a mouse and keyboard. Nothing game breaking mind, just annoying. Will be fixed with mods quick enough i'd say. Textures can be pretty bad, but it still looks great overall. Combat is very similar to Oblivion, with some definite improvements.

Good things...it's ****ing awesome :P Seriously impressed with it so far. Currently dual weilding lightning and fire, and it's great fun. Interesting world (from the tiny bits i've seen), and cool music. Really impressed, and looking forward to really getting stuck in tomorrow.

Also, just to note that the game runs really well on my pc. I've an e6600, 8gb ram, ati 4890, and i'm running the game on medium-high settings @ 1920x1080. No slowdown so far. Delighted with it, after being really worried how it would run.

Anyway, i'm wrecked...bed is calling!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,818 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ill be playing with a 360 controller either way when I get it tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Last night I killed a chicken in a town at night. Just testing out my new spell.

Went off did a load of quests for the town and came back during they day. They all killed me.

Wasted hours.

Dont kill chickens.

Advertisement