Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Guess I'll finally get around to finishing Assassin's Creed 2 this weekend. I may have saved €10-13 getting Skyrim from the UK but I'm now questioning if the delay was worth it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Daggerfall : 487,000 km sq
    Morrowind : 25.9 km sq
    Oblivion : 41.4 km sq
    Skyrim : ~ 41.4 km sq (it's pretty much the same size as Oblivion)

Weird, Morrowind felt bigger than Oblivion for some reason. And remember that most of Daggerfall was randomly generated!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fiesta111

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Daggerfall : 487,000 km sq
    Morrowind : 25.9 km sq
    Oblivion : 41.4 km sq
    Skyrim : ~ 41.4 km sq (it's pretty much the same size as Oblivion)

Weird, Morrowind felt bigger than Oblivion for some reason. And remember that most of Daggerfall was randomly generated!

hehe it looked like you said 487,000 square kilometres for daggerfall!? holy mother **************************************

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Fiesta111 wrote: »
    hehe it looked like you said 487,000 square kilometres for daggerfall!? holy mother **************************************

I think I have found a good contender for worst computer gaming industry job of all time. Daggerfall play tester.
    http://www.bethsoft.com/eng/games/games_daggerfall.html

Starting off in Daggerfall can overwhelm the senses. No other game has such a huge world to explore. Travel around a land mass twice the size of Great Britain, exploring dungeons, castles, tombs, and even alternative dimensions. Just to walk from one end of the world to the other will take over 2 full weeks in real-time (we actually tested this! :eek::eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

I just stuck it into the xbox and it cant even download the update. :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Is there any way to reset spent points?

Amazing game so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

keithb93 wrote: »
    I just stuck it into the xbox and it cant even download the update. :mad::mad:

It auto updates so long as you are connected to Live. You can not not get it. It's only 3-4mb anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

This game sucks

Trollolololololololol

Loving the kill moves, a wolf went to jump on me and i skewered him in mid air, epic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

so is it good? better than vanilla oblivion? i heard the map size is the same but that it feels much bigger due to mountains and what not, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Just came out of a cave and was faced with the most beautiful Aurora Borialis... this game rules.

Also
    Werewolves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Crosáidí wrote: »
    This game sucks

Trollolololololololol

Loving the kill moves, a wolf went to jump on me and i skewered him in mid air, epic

You suck...*finish this sentence*

It auto updates so long as you are connected to Live. You can not not get it. It's only 3-4mb anyway.

It would start the download but then stop and say unable to download update and disconnect from xbox live. Worked after about 10 attempts tho :D

so is it good? better than vanilla oblivion? i heard the map size is the same but that it feels much bigger due to mountains and what not, is this true?

It's better than Oblivion but it does not feel as magical as Morrowind did. To me Morrowind felt bigger than Oblivion.

Still though quality game but it has alot of glitches, graphics and physics wise but it's so good I can overlook them, just save often incase you get stuck in a texture or fall though a stairs and can't get out again.

keithb93 wrote: »
    It would start the download but then stop and say unable to download update and disconnect from xbox live. Worked after about 10 attempts tho :D

That's either the Live servers or your connection so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

it similar size to oblivion, it does feel bigger in a way with the huge mountains etc, to me it gives me a lord of the rings esque world. parts of it. i went up to a mammoth and attacked he turned on me with one swipe savaged me to the ground and i was brought back to last save point. i think i may level up a bit before bringing one of them down.

so what races did ye pick. I just cant decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

The graphics on my xbox are absolutely hideous, any ideas whats wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Gandalph wrote: »

I noticed the same thing, quite poor and some very weird textures. Debate seems to be around installing it or playing it from the disc that causes it. I'll be uninstalling it tonight when I get in to see if it improves any bit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

It's an xbox?

I don't think it looks that great on any platform.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

did you install the game?

ive only played an hour or so of the game, and not at my computer atm.. but I didn't notice any sort of degrading going on for my weapons/armour... so no repair? the only thing I seem to be able to do is improve them at a forge but i'd like to have to think about what state my weapons are in as I enter a large dungeon.. do i wnt to take my fancy ass blade that gets damaged easily or do I want a bog standard run of the mill sword that holds together better

THESE ARE THE CHOICES I LIKE TO MAKE

does it come into it later?

• Advertisement

That's the way it is. It's dire looking at times, I installed it and all. Sometimes all the textures start flickering all over and then stop, happens rare enough though. I put Oblivion in today and there is not much difference between them. The current gen are just getting old and showing their age. Oblivion looked great on the consoles 5 years ago.

I think I'm going to get the PC version as my PC is more than able for it but I can't get back into PC gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Just came out of a cave and was faced with...

FFS this stuff is also a spoiler

Ciaran500 wrote: »

Get real would ya, its just a random event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    No its not its scenery.

Oh does anyone know if there is a level cap?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Not being a smartass but to me every game ive seen this year look terrible on consoles [the latest uncharted i believe is decent looking however], both formats are out of date 7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Funglegunk wrote: »

No easy way to fast travel in morrowind. You could use ships and silt striders but you first had to travel to them

The mark and recall spells were awesome though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

So got it this morning and have played the main quest up until Whiterun and a few sidequests.

It kinda is like a beefed up Oblivion. When I was in a dungeon it was such a reminder of Oblivion. And the combat is pretty similar. Improvements are the magic and the archery. The bows kick ass!

I think the NPCs have been well improved. Graphically they remind me of improved versions of Fallout NPCs but the voice acting and animation is much better. They feel like individuals when you're talking to them. And I think a big part of that is the accent. Might sound weird, but it definitely gives me a feel of them being people with a culture.

The world looks great. They did a good job of making it rugged and harsh. It's a big departure from Oblivion's bright landscapes.

Performance wise on the ps3 it's decent. Some framerate issues but nothing too big. The textures work well unless you're up close. Noticed a few glithes where some guy just appeared in front of me in an inn. And it got stuck on a load screen requiring a restart once.

Overall I'd definitely see it as an improved version of Oblivion

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

im trying to get used to the menus

i'm having fun setting things on fire and seeing them actually go on fire and turn black though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just home from work, installing the game now. Cannot wait to play it!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

5 hours in now and I think its a contender for GOTY.

Have to head up north now to get the important thing the important people told me to get.

Looks wise it's only slightly better than Oblivion, there's been a few screen tears, objects flickering and the odd moose that ignores rivers. It's also stalled once on me.

Kinda wish I had a decent PC so I could experience this game fully, though I'd say an update will go a long way to fixing some of the issues.

Advertisement