Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

ive only played an hour or so of the game, and not at my computer atm.. but I didn't notice any sort of degrading going on for my weapons/armour... so no repair? the only thing I seem to be able to do is improve them at a forge but i'd like to have to think about what state my weapons are in as I enter a large dungeon.. do i wnt to take my fancy ass blade that gets damaged easily or do I want a bog standard run of the mill sword that holds together better

THESE ARE THE CHOICES I LIKE TO MAKE

does it come into it later?

Only put in a couple of hours before stopping to watch the match so I'm not certain but it does say sharpening your blades increases the damage so presumably the damage will drop the more it's used which would mean you'd have to know it has dropped. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Dcully wrote: »
    Not being a smartass but to me every game ive seen this year look terrible on consoles [the latest uncharted i believe is decent looking however], both formats are out of date 7 years.

thats just a laughable statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm in bleak falls temple. How do I get through the door with the animal symbol puzzle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

humanji wrote: »
    I'm sorry to have to tell you that that simply isn't enough time.

Damn it.... if i fail uni... im blaming you... just picked up a copy from gamestop.
    krudler wrote: »

90% of the **** that he types is laughable krudler (Hes whats called a "PC elitist troll"). :)

As for the xbox issue, you have to install it onto your HDD i believe, think they took the same approach as Dice did with BF3.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

marco_polo wrote: »
    How much are they charging for it out of interest? Even my usual steamworks gotos like D2D and G2Play are charging nearly €45 squids for this :mad:.

Gamesplanet.com £29
    Ciaran500 wrote: »
    FFS this stuff is also a spoiler

There are stars in the sky, GAME RUINED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

The improvements to magic are quite nice. I'm especially loving the dual cast destruction perk. It turns your two single handed fire spells into a satisfyingly large pillar of flame that does a ridiculous amount of damage.

I'm also liking conjuration. In the Riverwook/Whiterun quest
    To get the claw/stone, after killing the 20 foot spider I managed to resurrect it as a zombie to fight for me again. I couldn't get too far with it as it's so big it can't get out of it's room, but munching through skeletons with it was fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Blowfish wrote: »
    The improvements to magic are quite nice. I'm especially loving the dual cast destruction perk. It turns your two single handed fire spells into a satisfyingly large pillar of flame that does a ridiculous amount of damage.

I'm also liking conjuration. In the Riverwook/Whiterun quest
    To get the claw/stone, after killing the 20 foot spider I managed to resurrect it as a zombie to fight for me again. I couldn't get too far with it as it's so big it can't get out of it's room, but munching through skeletons with it was fun.

i picked a nord in the end, I'm kinda regretting it now, as I'm loving the whole mage/magic end of stuff, how do you combine spell? you gotta buy a certain perk?

Nodferatu wrote: »
    i picked a nord in the end, I'm kinda regretting it now, as I'm loving the whole mage/magic end of stuff, how do you combine spell? you gotta buy a certain perk?
    You can just left and right click at the same time. If you've different types of spells, they'll both just cast at once, but there's also a perk in most magic trees that buffs the spells effectiveness if you use the same spell in both hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I picked imperialist, nice mix of magic and combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Picked Nord and kind of regretting it also. Is it pointless to use magic as a Nord? Was gonna go sword + destruction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Looks like a great game so far, but cully is right, consoles are way behind PC gaming power now. It's been way too dumbed down for the consoles. The user interface is simplistic and ****e on the pc - it's like a playstation menu clearly designed for console users. Esc key should bring me back to the game, instead of this TAB or 'E' depending on the actions. Inventory management is a pain in the ass, and the mouse doesn't seem to be thought of at all in the UI.

The weapon repair/degradation is dumbed down. The stats and levelling are dumbed down. I'm disappointed with these things, hugely, as a serious fan of the series. My other favourite games are the total war series, and shogun was also dumbed down for console users. It's a worrying trend.

If you want cutting edge gaming nowadays get a decent PC and a graphics card, end of. Playing serious RPGs and Strategy games like Total War does not translate well into a control pad. :mad:

Kernel wrote: »
    Looks like a great game so far, but cully is right, consoles are way behind PC gaming power now. It's been way too dumbed down for the consoles. The user interface is simplistic and ****e on the pc - it's like a playstation menu clearly designed for console users. Esc key should bring me back to the game, instead of this TAB or 'E' depending on the actions. Inventory management is a pain in the ass, and the mouse doesn't seem to be thought of at all in the UI.

The weapon repair/degradation is dumbed down. The stats and levelling are dumbed down. I'm disappointed with these things, hugely, as a serious fan of the series. My other favourite games are the total war series, and shogun was also dumbed down for console users. It's a worrying trend.

If you want cutting edge gaming nowadays get a decent PC and a graphics card, end of. Playing serious RPGs and Strategy games like Total War does not translate well into a control pad. :mad:

Welcome to the future mate.. lets not turn this isn't another pointless console vs PC debate.

Tusky wrote: »
    Picked Nord and kind of regretting it also. Is it pointless to use magic as a Nord? Was gonna go sword + destruction.

same as me haha, i wanted a sword but now i want a mix of sword/magic, i think it doesn't matter, nord are kinda all rounded AFAIK, I'm just sticking to destruction perks like fire and lightening bolt etc, I'm not into the whole alchemy master mage or wizard, i like some sword butchering also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Kernel wrote: »
    My other favourite games are the total war series, and shogun was also dumbed down for console users. It's a worrying trend.

I don't know what you are smoking but Total War or Shogun are not on any console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

There is some serious gold to be made in the farming industry in skyrim

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

krudler wrote: »

How so?
    Anything ive seen on console is fugly compared to a low end PC, this year its very evident consoles are seriously outdated in terms of performance.
    But lets not turn this into the usual crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I picked nord and went sword & board. I like a type of warrior tank or dual wielder. Not mad about magic.

I picked nord and went sword & board. I like a type of warrior tank or dual wielder. Not mad about magic.

Does the melee combat get any better as you spend points in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

I got Skyrim... A I'm a huge fan of the TES but I am disappointed with it thus far coz of all the glitches..

I've had to restart my game twice.. from sctrach to try get going..

Granted I didn't get far in these 2 attempts but still

The part at the start where
    the dragon 1st appears.. the dragon showed up but there was no response from the people of the town and the dragon just kept flying around and nothing was happening..

very frustrating.. before that.. it just crashed while
    arriving on the kart..

I'm sure I'll love the game.. just frustrating!!

How so?
    Anything ive seen on console is fugly compared to a low end PC, this year its very evident consoles are seriously outdated in terms of performance.

lol, i know this is off topic (You started it) and a bit cheap... but just had a look at your sig... so much for superior accuracy with ze keyboard and mouse :P

Seriously tho... just let people enjoy games however they want to enjoy them, no1 seems to give a sh!t. Really hate when the same people bring up the same tiresome offtopic arguments... its really cringe worthy.

ON TOPIC - Spellcasting ftw !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So Patrick Stewart was the voice at the start of Oblivion
    And Liam Neeson was the voice at the start of Fallout 3
    So who's doing the famous voice at the start of Skyrim? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

tuxy wrote: »

Steven Seagal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I've been play for about 20 minutes and I have the following thoughts:
    - Removing the view of your character from the inventory menu is a silly choice, I want to be able to see how my new gear looks.
    - This is aggravated by the utterly horrible third person camera. You can swing around the character, and zoom in and out, but you can't move up and down. The default angle of view is such that when zoomed in at least two thirds of the screen is empty space with your character's head at the bottom. Would giving the camera free movement really be so hard? Why make such a lavish character generator if I never get to see him properly ever again?
    - Performance is horrible (EDIT: This would appear to be because AMD are incompetant and don't have drivers for Skyrim. Apparently I have to sit here twiddling my thumbs until they get around to it). I have a really crappy framerate even at medium settings. My PC can, by comparison, run Battlefield 3 at silky smooth framerates at maximum.
    - This is aggravated by the extremely limited graphical options; I have no control over lighting/bloom for example. At this point I'm considering low quality, I'll see what it looks like once I have open skies.

EDIT:

Haha, oh Jesus. Ok, so if you hold F while you have a weapon out, then press R to put the weapon away while still holding F, you can get a decent angle that allows you to see your character. BUT, if you hold down F when you have no weapon out...nothing happens. It's like someone went out of their way to piss me off.
    EDIT AGAIN: Ok, its not so bad, but it is counter intuitive. If you move the mouse while in unarmed third-person while walking it turns with the character, if you do it while standing still you can move around the character. If you hold F down it won't move. If you hold F with a weapon out, it moves around the character. Why oh why would they make it so complicated?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'm in bleak falls temple. How do I get through the door with the animal symbol puzzle?
    There are 3 pillar faces (one on the ground) that show the correct code and the switch opens the gate once they are arranged correctly. The bloke you saw getting killed had tried opening it without arranging them. You need to look around these places and see the clues.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Max Von Sydow is the trailer narrator anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

How so?

Gears of War 3 is a beautiful looking game.

has anyone been up to ''high hrothgar'' yet? can't for the life of me find the right path, spent last 2 hours trying to get up to it.

Magill wrote: »
    lol, i know this is off topic (You started it) and a bit cheap... but just had a look at your sig... so much for superior accuracy with ze keyboard and mouse :P

Here we go again, boards number one console fanboy at it again :D
    If you must know ive been levelling recon class and pretty much ignored other classes therefore accuracy is going to poor compared to automatics etc.
    Magill wrote: »
    Seriously tho... just let people enjoy games however they want to enjoy them, no1 seems to give a sh!t. Really hate when the same people bring up the same tiresome offtopic arguments... its really cringe worthy.

Someone mentioned gfx sucked on xbox, i simply agreed and said most console games are poor visually lately,how is that stopping people enjoying their games?
    Cringe worthy?
    Your crusade to defend everything console is exactly that cringe worthy!
    A few pages back you said to someone lets not turn this into console v pc, maybe listen to yourself.

back on topic, skyrim is a great game regardless of format.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

It'll never be Morrowind or Fallout 3, but i prefer it to oblivion so far. No stupid gates which all play identically (yet), doesn't seem to have the absolutely horrible level-matching system of Oblivion, which eventually made that game a bit dull.

I assume this based on the fact that
    I walked up to a giant, he whacked me in the head with a club, I bounced off the ground and up above cloud level.
    Also had a fight I only scraped through and I can't beat groups yet. This is all good, Oblivion was absurdly simple.

Also, as a console philistine type person I think it's a major improvement over Oblivion graphically. Or maybe more in design, the menus and such look more professional, but there also seems to be a bit more flora and fauna and less of the weirdly coming into focus distant objects, which looked like the devs were finishing them just for me as I approached them.

I feel like I'm going through the motions watching the match at the moment, just want to play some more :pac:

• Advertisement

One of the guys at the very start is played by Michael Hogan from Battlestar Galactica.
    He's the imperial guard in charge of the execution

Advertisement