Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Spunge wrote: »
    I don't understand all the hate for the graphics. It looks a million times better than fallout 3 or new vegas.

Oblivion looks better than those two brown dreary eyesores.

If publishers insist on cross platform development, the "next generation" consoles can't come too soon.

Disappointment isn't all about texture detail, fur on animals or lighting effects, it's the core of the engine itself. If I see something hanging from a chain or rope, it should move and sway as I interact with it. When it doesn't, I just underlines the fact processing power was saved (with consoles in mind) by not making this item obey some form of physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

KonFusion wrote: »
    Noticing quite a few nods to morrowind and daggerfall.

Never played Daggerfall but the similarities to Morrowind are everywhere. A lot of that hostility been different races and factions. Oblivion looks almost cartoonish in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Elessar wrote: »
    Dark brotherhood

What is the color of night?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mantel wrote: »
    What is the color of night?

Sanguine, my Brother :cool:

skyrim-dark-brotherhood-message.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Is there no way to store different combinations of weapons/magic on the PC?

As in the #1 on the keyboard would have shock power and sword, #2 would have restoration power and sword etc etc . . . ?
    OctavarIan wrote: »
    Never played Daggerfall but the similarities to Morrowind are everywhere. A lot of that hostility been different races and factions. Oblivion looks almost cartoonish in comparison.

Landscape has that same rugged feel as Morrwind had.

• Advertisement

Is there no way to store different combinations of weapons/magic on the PC?

As in the #1 on the keyboard would have shock power and sword, #2 would have restoration power and sword etc etc . . . ?

Landscape has that same rugged feel as Morrwind had.

I thought it did but I didn't have much time with it, if you open the fav menu (q) you can assign numbers to weapons, I thought it pulled out the last weapon/item you had equipped with that item. I haven't tested it much as I've started to favour two haned weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Can't my ass handed to me some trolls last night. Not as strong as i thought :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

bluewolf wrote: »
    i just summoned a blue wolf as a familiar

i approve

It took me a full five seconds to work out why that was relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

I just bought it....I know, bit late :(

Still happy though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Just got it, character made, went as a Nord. this is my first Elder Scrolls game. what have I dont ot my social life lol. got it on ps3, its nice but not amazing looking, hair looks like rope etc, the world itself looks great though so its a worthwhile tradeoff for the scale.

right character made. to explore!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Loving the way rivers actually have currents now. Small things that make a difference. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

have to go home for the weekend :( goodbye Skyrim til tomorrow night...

has anyone found any good loot anywhere and want to tip me off so I'll know where to look when I get back into the game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Really enjoying this, but the graphics are poor enough (360). I remember playing oblivion at launch and being amazed at what a console could do, fired it up about six months ago and was shocked at how poor it looked to me then. I think this even looks slightly worse than the fallout games.

I've really been noticing the stagnant quality of the graphics over the last year and I really can't wait for the next gen of consoles to arrive at this stage. Having said that, it's remarkable what some developers have squeezed out of what's effectively seven year old hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Did anyone come across a Krosis yet? I found one as I was on a roundabout way to winterhold and got absolutely raped by it. Didn't help that it was double teaming me with a dragon.

Good to see that they sorted out the Oblivion levelling issue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Really enjoying this, but the graphics are poor enough (360). I remember playing oblivion at launch and being amazed at what a console could do, fired it up about six months ago and was shocked at how poor it looked to me then. I think this even looks slightly worse than the fallout games.

I've really been noticing the stagnant quality of the graphics over the last year and I really can't wait for the next gen of consoles to arrive at this stage. Having said that, it's remarkable what some developers have squeezed out of what's effectively seven year old hardware.

and yet the amount of ignorant people who still believe the consoles can do more are everywhere :( this gen needs to die already ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I agree fallout does look better on the consoles but think about how barren the fallout world is compared to the Skyrim world. Foliage everywhere in Skyrim, alot more work for the console to process all that and still have a steady framerate so some sacrifices have to be made...

Started it last night and took about 20 minutes to make my character which was a Female Drow. Went with a preset and customized from there, she actually looks hot considering all the Drow presets are fugly. Going for a Dual Wielding Assasin with Illusion/Alteration magic build. Only problem so far is the melee combat, its pretty terrible. There is zero tactics, its pretty much get in and do as much DPS as possible before your enemy kills you...

Have you installed it to your 360? Seems that the best quality textures are when you don't install it and just play from the disc.

http://kotaku.com/5858743/bethesda-working-on-skyrim-graphics-problems-on-xbox-advises-not-installing-yet?tag=the-elder-scrolls
    "Skyrim uses a lot of dynamic streaming systems, including textures," according to the official forum post. "We've seen a few reports of certain textures temporarily scaling down on the Xbox 360, and not scaling back up. We have verified that this issue does not occur when playing off the disk and when the game is fully cached (not installed).

Anyone started to level up smithng yet? Just wondering what the best way to go about it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

just out of the first section and into the open world, its so pretty... the music is brilliant as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    Res? I'm at 1920x1080.
    The game runs better with one card enabled, cannot wait for the amd/ati profiles!

1920x1200. I had a feeling you were talking about profiles for crossfire but how could performance be worse than with 1!?

• Advertisement

The music at the start menu is nothing short of epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Anyone started to level up smithng yet? Just wondering what the best way to go about it is...

Yeah , Went out hunting Wolfs Deers and the Like , then building Hide items , also get a pickaxe and mine in the mines. Building iron daggers seems the best bang for buck.(Leveling and Resource)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Trolls are easy with the flame spell and a flame sword/bow. Also try and get up on rocks or into water they have **** path finding in water.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I have to say, from an optimization stand point the game is better than Fallout3. I've only had one crash so far.....during the intro when the cave collapses behind you and your empire buddy. And no bugs. And the loading is so bloody fast. I don't even have 1 second to read the tooltips on the load screens when you change area. It's just gone instantly so I have no idea what any of them say :p I could imagine its probably much longer loading on console.

Granted, I have a good PC.....but recent games like shogun and the witcher have proved frustrating with crashes and long load times. None of that here.

Its still early but i'm finding it a better experience. Button binding is a bit limited though. Not have a last weapon used button is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Loving it to pieces. Every time I start a session of the game I get giddy with excitement! The world is stunning, the snow is beautiful, some of the landscape looks almost cell shaded in the stormy, snowy mountains. Side quests are ridiculously fleshed out, I'm bout 4hrs in and I've not even finished the side quests in The first town.

Kinda miss the stats screen from oblivion for just tinkering around with your character and being able to see the way he looks but that's litterily it. Anyone who's disappointed with graphics should just not bother. Go play Dragon age 2...see if that looks any better with one third the content, character or atmosphere of this.

Loading time is poxy on the Xbox :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Is there no Karma system in this game? Can't see anything in the stats? Mind you thats doesn't say a lot given the crap interface.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The interface would be so much better if you didn't have to be so precise with where you clicked. The amount of times I have been shopping and clicked on one of the categories but have not clicked it because the system is crap and the shopping screen closes.

No sign of agility either. I want to be able to jump on roofs.

OMG I hate my girlfriend right now :mad: Why cant she have a hobby that isnt pestering me... I have serious business to attend to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

OMG I hate my girlfriend right now :mad: Why cant she have a hobby that isnt pestering me... I have serious business to attend to.

Oh look at you, you've a girlfriend, aren't you great.

Advertisement