Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Just watch the gameplay trailer, I came a little :p

Will definally have to upgrade the aul PC when I get this game. Looks unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Yakult wrote: »
    Just watch the gameplay trailer, I came a little :p

Will definally have to upgrade the aul PC when I get this game. Looks unbelievable.

I wonder will it require much of an upgrade, it still has to run on consoles after all.

An SSD might be useful to reduce pop-up though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And some new screenshots have come out; naturally because of the day that's in it, I'm still suscpicious, but they seem geniune (as well as totally awesome)

http://kotaku.com/#!5787958/these-new-shots-from-skyrim-are-no-laughing-matter/gallery/1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It looks amazing. I really want to see some more gameplay trailers though. It's only 224 days until it's released.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That one with the river looks delicious.

Are those translucent dragons?

153713.PNG

• Advertisement

Looked it up on the forums; they're ice wraiths. Looks cool and the sword too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

need another trailer with some gameplay soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I wonder will it require much of an upgrade, it still has to run on consoles after all.

An SSD might be useful to reduce pop-up though.

True that. They're producing the game to be able to play on the 360... a console that's showing its limits now with modern games. Dead Space 2 needed to discs as well as some other large games needing multiple discs. I really hope they just make game without really thinking of the limitations of the 360 and if it needs to be spread across on multiple discs then so be it. Obviously, the PC and ps3 versions won't have any of that problem. They're getting pretty good at making the ps3 graphics as close to PC as possible but it'll still never reach it. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

dreamers75 wrote: »

Sounds awesome!I want it even more now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I hope they make Lockpicking legitimately hard, it got to the point where we could open a Very Hard lock with 1 pick and level 1 skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

COD:MW3 just announced for November 8th which more than likely means 11th for Ireland/Europe.

Don't know if Skyrim would have had a midnight launch but COD might. Not pushed about COD but would go to a midnight launch to see if i could pick up Skyrim :D

Want to get my hands on that games as soon as humanly possible....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Won't that mean Uncharted 3 will be released on that day too? Hmmmm....

Time to start saving...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

jamezy wrote: »
    COD:MW3 just announced for November 8th which more than likely means 11th for Ireland/Europe.

Don't know if Skyrim would have had a midnight launch but COD might. Not pushed about COD but would go to a midnight launch to see if i could pick up Skyrim :D

Won't that mean Uncharted 3 will be released on that day too? Hmmmm....

Time to start saving...
    Now THAT is a midnight launch I would be more than happy to go to. Not too pushed on CoD but Elderscrolls and Uncharted 3 is reason enough to head out there at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

jamezy wrote: »

Pretty sure COD has a universal release date so if it's the 8th in America it will be the 8th over here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lukasbolander

skyrim.jpg
    Developer: Bethesda Game Studios
    Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
    Platforms: Playstation 3, Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360
    Release Date: November 11, 2011
    Genre: Action RPG, Open World.

Official Gameplay Trailer:

Official Screen Shots:

skyrim01.jpg

The_Elder_Scrolls_5_-_Skyrim_Screenshot_5.jpg

SYNOPSIS:
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a role playing video game being developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls action role-playing video game series, following The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It is scheduled to be released on November 11, 2011 for Microsoft Windows, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

Skyrim is set two hundred years after the events of Oblivion, in the land of Skyrim.
    The province has erupted into civil war after the assassination of its king.
    Concurrently, the god Alduin, who takes the form of a massive dragon, has arisen to destroy the world.
    The player character is the last living Dovahkiin (Dragonborn), and must fend off Alduin and save Skyrim from destruction.

Setting:

Skyrim is a region set in the northern part of Tamriel. It is the home of the Nords, large men and women, who have a strong resistance - if not immunity - to frost. It is bordered by Morrowind to the east, Cyrodiil to the south, Hammerfell to the southwest, and High Rock to the west. The island of Solstheim lies to the northeast.

Skyrim_map.jpg

Playable Races

1. 1. Altmer (High Elves)
    2. 2. Argonian (Reptilians)
    3. 3. Breton (Humans)
    4. 4. Bosmer (Wood Elves)
    5. 5. Dunmer (Dark Elves)
    6. 6. Imperial (Humans)
    7. 7. Khajiit (Felines)
    8. 8. Nord (Humans)
    9. 9. Red Guard (Humans)
    10. 10.Orsimer (Orcs)

Engine:

Skyrim will use a brand new engine, called the Creation Engine, which was built by Bethesda. This upgraded Graphics and Radiant AI(advanced way NPCs react to you), along with Radiant Storytelling.

Radiant Storytelling is a feature that Bethesda is using in their engine for Skyrim that acts as a narrator for your character in the world. It senses when you've killed someone and alerts their familys and it adjusts game difficulty depending on your skills. It also changes different things in quests such as different reactions or outcomes depending on how you play. Entering a city, a young woman might approach you and beg you to save her daughter from kidnappers. The game will look at the nearby dungeons you've explored, automatically set the mission in a place you've never visited, and designate opponents that are appropriately matched to your strengths and weaknesses.

You won't find townspeople loitering aimlessly in town squares anymore. Each citizen performs tasks that make sense in their environment. To impart the towns and cities with a greater sense of life, Bethesda has populated them with mills, farms, and mines that give the NPCs believable tasks to occupy their day. The improved Radiant AI technology is also more aware of how a citizen should react to your actions. As you perform tasks for them or terrorize them by ransacking their home, the NPCs develop feelings about you. If you're good friends with a particular NPC and barge into his house during the middle of the night, he may offer you lodging rather than demand you leave the premises. If you swing your weapon near an NPC, knock items off their dinner table, or try to steal something of value, they'll react with an appropriate level of hostility given their prior relationship to you.

Official E3 Gameplay Demo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

15 minute preview of the game is up online; unfortunately you have to suffer the teeth-grindingly annoying G4 presenters, but it's worth it for a real sense of how the game plays - combat, dialogue, spells, etc. I am now officially excited, it looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

pixelburp wrote: »
    unfortunately you have to suffer the teeth-grindingly annoying G4 presenters,

They act exactly like the kind of people that have never played a game in their lives, excruciating stuff.

The game looks great though!

edit: just googled Morgan Webb, in fairness she seems to have played a game or two. Any she ain't too bad on the eyes i guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lukasbolander

So, Nobody wants to talk Skyrim?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

It's being discussed in the Games forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056117319&page=6.

Unlocking and moving to Games forum.

Mods - Please merge.
    Thanks.

There's an Elder Scrolls forum as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Bethesda: Consoles to be the lead platform for Skyrim, aim to make it “really accessible

What do people think of this? Personally I dont want to see Skyrim too dumbed down to be honest. I hope the development team have not gone too far down that road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"We knew we wanted to make the user interface a little bit more open and available … get away from the stats and things like that.”"

hrm...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Is oblivion worth getting?

On looks alone and having never played this series before Skyrim looks amazing and I will be picking up that.

I don't want to jump into this without some previous experience, but if Elder Scrolls 4 was crap then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

On looks alone and having never played this series before Skyrim looks amazing and I will be picking up that.

I don't want to jump into this without some previous experience, but if Elder Scrolls 4 was crap then so be it.

All I will say is that Elder Scrolls took my life away for an entire summer. The game is vast, however, the dungeons in the game are pretty much rinse and repeat but it doesn't take away from the excellence of the game. Can be picked up cheap enough too, just make sure you get the GOTY edition for all the extras.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    All I will say is that Elder Scrolls took my life away for an entire summer. The game is vast, however, the dungeons in the game are pretty much rinse and repeat but it doesn't take away from the excellence of the game. Can be picked up cheap enough too, just make sure you get the GOTY edition for all the extras.

Cheers,

If a game comes with more good moments than bad then I don't mind it. Fallout 3 was a little tedious at times but overall the game was amazing. If Oblivion is anything like the Fallout games then I will not think twice about picking it up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tell your girlfriend, friends and family that you won't be seeing them for a few months and then buy oblivion.

Tell your girlfriend, friends and family that you won't be seeing them for a few months and then buy oblivion.

What about my job, I kinda need that... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Cheers,

If a game comes with more good moments than bad then I don't mind it. Fallout 3 was a little tedious at times but overall the game was amazing. If Oblivion is anything like the Fallout games then I will not think twice about picking it up.

Its in my top ten of best games I've ever played. Its one of those games where I've run out of superlatives to describe it. It's similar to Fallout 3 in that its an open ended RPG. You can do the ol' good or evil thing as well if you fancy either side and the addition of magic and spells made it all the more excellent. I cannot recommend it enough. Would definitely pass your time until Skyrim is released.

Advertisement