Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Have a quick question regarding leveling up skills etc.. nothing to do with you overall character level..

So as you progress through the game you increase your skills level (e.g the more locks you pick the more your skill lockpick increases etc etc)

So when your destruction or onehanded/two handed weapons (or any trait) increase, do you get better at it... :confused:

Or do you only get better at it if you add to your skill tree (star constellation thingy)

Example: If I improve my destruction levels to level 40, is my destruction ability stronger than if I was level 10 or do I only get stronger destruction by using skill points on the destruction skill tree..

I know you need to be a certain level to unlock certain skills but just wondering if anyone can shed some light..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

It puts a +1 or something on your skill but the perks put + 25% etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Anyone started to level up smithng yet? Just wondering what the best way to go about it is...

I just spam Iron daggers, currently making Orcish stuff for my character.

I think Skyrim needs it own life guard, the waters are treacherous. The amount of NPC's going for a nose dive over the waterfalls is crazy. The most recent was a threesome of randomers in the wilderness going to some wedding then a troll attacked us, 1 guy in the group jumped into the fast flowing river beside us and got sweeped off.....later found him stranded on a tiny rock far down the river unable to move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'm actually finding the melee quite ok now, using mainly one handed weapons with shield and gone up a few levels. Combat is consisting of clever smashes of the shield to stagger them followed up with the sword. Nice feel to the fights now I've got some tactics in hand and very cool when getting stuck in to more than 2 enemies :D

In regards to levelling, am I correct in saying that an enemy that can kill me now at level 4 will not stand much chance against me at level 10?

DarkJager wrote: »
    In regards to levelling, am I correct in saying that an enemy that can kill me now at level 4 will not stand much chance against me at level 10?

Im level 17 and most the creatures/bandits I come across in the wild go down in 1 swing & are still wearing measly iron & fur, so I dont think the ones in the outside world level up with you. Im not sure about the ones in dungeons because they seem alot stronger, but I am only sticking to quest dungeons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

anybody used any of the better graphics released yet? How does it compare?

I'd be playing on ultra but by the comments in this thread that doesnt even sound good enough, might mod it before I begin.

any great ones out yet?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Gandalph wrote: »
    DarkJager wrote: »

Im level 17 and most the creatures/bandits I come across in the wild go down in 1 swing & are still wearing measly iron & fur, so I dont think the ones in the outside world level up with you. Im not sure about the ones in dungeons because they seem alot stronger, but I am only sticking to quest dungeons.

Good to hear. The dungeon in the
    golden claw quest
    was a nightmarish start as a level 3, used about 20 potions and barely made it out alive

Just executed my 1st dragon, mounted that mofo and sunk a hole into his cranium....felt so sweet!!

Just executed my 1st dragon, mounted that mofo and sunk a hole into his cranium....felt so sweet!!
    My first solo kill felt amazing... took several reloads though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Just out of bed so haven't tested this but I believe you can bind spells/combos from the Favorites menu. Just click Q -> the combo you want and hold the number you want it on.

example: Dual wield fire -> Put it on L+R and then press 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Just out of bed so haven't tested this but I believe you can bind spells/combos from the Favorites menu. Just click Q -> the combo you want and hold the number you want it on.

that seems to work. cant seem to bind 2 different things at once though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

On my 3rd city (Riften) and I suddenly got bombarded with sidequests. Think I have about 20+ active quests now...................dear Lord.

Absolutely loving the bow & arrow in this game, feels so great sniping someone and watching their ragdoll fly with the force of the arrow hitting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Are there supposed to be random encounters ?

I was walking through the snowy mountains, then i met some orc who wanted me to kill him, but he killed me. So i re-loaded and went back, but instead there was bandits asking me for money, they killed me too. So i reloaded again, and on my way there some thief guy ran past me with another guy chasing him.

Spunge wrote: »

I was walking through the snowy mountains, then i met some orc who wanted me to kill him, but he killed me. So i re-loaded and went back, but instead there was bandits asking me for money, they killed me too. So i reloaded again, and on my way there some thief guy ran past me with another guy chasing him.
    Yep, sometimes its the same sometimes its different, I got the Orc but two snow wolves decided i was dinner at the same time... I now wear their skin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Very cool!

I hate this, I got the 3 guys asking for money and they killed me. So I reloaded in anger and ran straight back to get my revenge only to find some sort of fire elemental...who then killed me, reloaded once again and back I went to find a spell casting khajit whom I killed and tossed into the river, I now wander the lands looking for those 3 bandits that got me, no luck as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I just spam Iron daggers, currently making Orcish stuff for my character.

I think Skyrim needs it own life guard, the waters are treacherous. The amount of NPC's going for a nose dive over the waterfalls is crazy. The most recent was a threesome of randomers in the wilderness going to some wedding then a troll attacked us, 1 guy in the group jumped into the fast flowing river beside us and got sweeped off.....later found him stranded on a tiny rock far down the river unable to move

Are you mining your own iron or buying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone know if you can get a horse for a companion?

Varik wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can get a horse for a companion?
    You can buy a horse for about 1000 gold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anyone finding periodic 'pausing' in the world map area? Every now and again the game would freeze for about 1-2 seconds then continue playing as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

pixelburp wrote: »
    Anyone finding periodic 'pausing' in the world map area? Every now and again the game would freeze for about 1-2 seconds then continue playing as normal.

Yep, starting to happen to me (PS3).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yep, starting to happen to me (PS3).
    Well then that's doubly weird, as I'm on the PC. Thought it was either my settings, which aren't set that high, or something with the engine. Feels like it's loading new parts of the world map into memory and just freezing the game as a consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

I was walking up the snowy mountain and came across a dead goat just before this crest in the road. When I was looking at the goat this wolf lunged at me from the other side of the crest! Scared the life outa me!

pixelburp wrote: »
    Is it autosaving? thats the only time mine pauses.

Also anyone else think there is too much to do :D

You can buy a horse for about 1000 gold.

I have one but can you get 1 for someone else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yep only figured that out after a few hours into the game, makes things so much easier!

Are you mining your own iron or buying it?

Im buying it, have come across very few veins to supply my blacksmithing. My character is a bit of a Horse so I tend to drag all my plundered weapons and armor back to Whiterun and trade with the blacksmiths, when they run low on gold I start to buy ingots off them & the balance is restored.

Does anyone know any other big cities outside Whiterun as every place I have ventured to is normally a small farming town? I need a place that has spare gold to trade some stuff in inventory.

Found Iron ore and a spell to transmute it to other ores.

• Advertisement

Is it autosaving? thats the only time mine pauses.

Nope, it's not autosaving, I died and had to pass across the same part of the map a couple of times, and each time the game hung. So I'm suspecting it's the system itself.

Advertisement