Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Just finished the mage quest line... It was damn hard.
    I wouldnt go into the last mission without the Fire Shout fully maxed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Has anyone worked out how to fix the annoying laggy mouse in first person mode?

http://www.gamefront.com/how-to-improve-skyrim-with-ini-file-tweaks/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

I have about 8 hrs played since yesterday and i still haven't fought any dragons apart from
    . I've just been doing side missions and discovering Skyrim...Love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Is winterrun the biggest city in the game? If not which city/ies are bigger than it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Aboslutely loving the game now. Really settled into it. I've killed 3 dragons so far and found 3 shouts.

One of the things I forgot how much I loved from Oblivion, Fallout, and again in this, is just finding weird/cool places.

I was going through some mountains northeast between Whiterun and Winterhold and found a building with Silver Hands outside. Kill them, go in and it's like a
    Werewolf hunting gang! :eek: They even had a couple of live captured ones.

I reanimated it and it was quite fun to watch :D Good times had by all.

Also found a few
    Dwarven
    buildings and caves with pipes. Not much but really cool looking. I think having that sort of
    mechanical, steampunkish
    addition breaks the mould for traditional fantasy. Love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Just gonna throw it out there....

BE WARNED IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE THE COMPANIONS QUESTLINE/KNOW ABOUT A CERTAIN "BEING" YOU CAN BE IN SKYRIM DON'T LOOK AT THIS SPOILER
    WEREWOLVES ARE ****ING AWESOME!!!! Just solo'd an entire dungeon as a werewolf that I tried at least 5 times regularly.... the feeling of 'epic' isn't enough to describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Dr.Poca wrote: »

Also found a few
    Dwarven
    buildings and caves with pipes. Not much but really cool looking. I think having that sort of
    mechanical, steampunkish
    addition breaks the mould for traditional fantasy. Love it

I missed that stuff most playing oblivion great way to make some gold in them things... just empty your bag in your house first, that stuff is heavy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My girlfriend would like to know if you can make black and white kittys (khajits) in this game? This is very relevant to her wanting to play it or not :pac:

mine still not here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Finally got to get stuck in to it tonight. Absolutely loving it so far, myself and my sexy companion killing the undead for sh1ts and giggles :D in whiterun now and have side quests flying in from all angles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Im only about 5/6 hours into this game and I'm seriously wondering if this is really a new engine at all. There are certain ... elements of the way the engine's behaving that seem awfully like GameBryo (engine from Oblivion & Fallout games). It just feels quite like the older build, despite Bethesda claiming Skyrim was being built of a brand new engine & codebase. It certainly has the crappy performance of the old engine that's for sure: this random freezing is driving me nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Im only about 5/6 hours into this game and I'm seriously wondering if this is really a new engine at all. There are certain ... elements of the way the engine's behaving that seem awfully like GameBryo (engine from Oblivion & Fallout games). It just feels quite like the older build, despite Bethesda claiming Skyrim was being built of a brand new engine & codebase. It certainly has the crappy performance of the old engine that's for sure: this random freezing is driving me nuts.

Its gamebyro, it has that unmistakeable gamebryo feel to it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Gandalph wrote: »
    I hate this, I got the 3 guys asking for money and they killed me. So I reloaded in anger and ran straight back to get my revenge only to find some sort of fire elemental...who then killed me, reloaded once again and back I went to find a spell casting khajit whom I killed and tossed into the river, I now wander the lands looking for those 3 bandits that got me, no luck as of yet.

Same thing Happened me I found them at
    Whiterun
    Waiting for me just by the stables/gate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Think it was asked earlier in the thread but just found out how to see if npc are hostile before you approach them. You need the detect life spell and they'll show up. There's another called detect dead which does what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

The
    Arls gaff in Whiterun
    is Great for Plundering , Also allot of shops just let you take things ? The alchemists place in whiterun and the Vegey stall outside it there.
    Also Opening Display cases doesnt count as a crime so its handy to get experience! :D
    Cheers about the detect Life spell , as an archer I just fire and pray they're bandits :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

probably a bit late for anyone to care, but my review is up

http://clickonline.com/games/review--the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/4236/

unsurprisingly gets a maximum, because it's bloody epic and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

THIS GAME IS AMAZEBALLS!!!!

Edit: It's 04:00 am :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It depends on how you define "engine" exactly, but suffice to say, yes, they've reused a whole ton of stuff. The way people run around and suicidally charge at anything identified as hostile is classic Oblivion.

Having great fun though. Killed my second dragon after chasing it across three valleys. I first saw it attacking a giant, which was charging around try to fight back. Just when I thought I'd engage the ****er it'd swoop off to make an attack run against a goat or a rabbit half a mile away. Cue my Argonian mage huffing and puffing across the fields trying to catch up. Eventually caught it on the ground as it tried to eat a city guard and burned it to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,823 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If they scrapped their entire engine(s) and rebuilt something new from scratch, it might make major improvements - major, major improvements, over what is essentially an engine that probably traces large chunks of itself back to Morrowind, but it would also require years of development on top of what is already a multiyear development cycle for Bethesda since most of their time goes into Art & Design - creating dungeons, environments, towns, quests and all that good stuff. What you're looking at it a few years worth of game design.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

In the horrors reading this thread.
    Bad month or two for bills - for months couldn't wait for this game and now that it is here my credit card is smashed - oh how the fates conspire.

Ah well - will just have to wait a while - in the meantime bye all - can't come back here as reading your posts is making me consider doing something very silly although that does depend on the perspective. Looking forwards to getting out and about as a Dark Elf again... Bring on a few paydays....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Anyone know if the defense stat on armour includes magic defense? There's a mage called Hamelyn in a thieves guilds quest who kills me with two fireballs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

calex71 wrote: »
    It's a main quest
    where you kill your 1st dragon the scales and bones are valued at 150 and 500 each respectively even with minimal perks I got 4000 for the lot read over a few traders

Ah i see. For some reason i've decided to save all my dragonskin and bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's the same engine. You only have to spend 5 minutes in the game and have a look around to know that.

Rightly or wrongly, the gamebryo engine had quite a poor reputation. They decided that it wouldn't be good PR or marketing to admit to using an engine this old for their new game. So they kinda spoofed, embellished and twisted the truth. Or they lied. :p Depends what way you look at it.

They can modify it to high heaven but that doesn't make it a new engine. If you paint your car a new colour, give it fancy rims and a big rear spoiler.....you have made your car nicer. It's still the same car. Take that v8 engine and put a turbo on it? same engine. To call it a brand new engine is a lie.

Personally, I like the engine and like the game. But that doesn't excuse lying about it. I find it kind of pointless tbh. Most of the people who buy the game have never heard of gamebryo and don't care about engines. The minority who do, will be able to spot the bs from a mile away. So why bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

papu wrote: »
    The
    Arls gaff in Whiterun
    is Great for Plundering

I cleared that poor bastard out and then used yer wan he gave me as a companion to carry it all to the trader..he he

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

has anyone done onmunds request from the mages guild
    im looking for this stupid staff in some cave but cant find it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

bluewolf wrote: »
    has anyone done onmunds request from the mages guild
    im looking for this stupid staff in some cave but cant find it

I finished that last night, but I can't remember :/ Think you have to kill a fairly-strong Dragon Priest at the end of the cave. Labyrinthian? I always get lost, but just use your map to find your way around

Healium wrote: »
    I finished that last night, but I can't remember :/ Think you have to kill a fairly-strong Dragon Priest at the end of the cave. Labyrinthian? I always get lost, but just use your map to find your way around

i had cleared it and no staff - turned out it was in some chest i missed
    :)

i had cleared it and no staff - turned out it was in some chest i missed
    :)

EDIT: Wrong quest

Healium wrote: »
    pew pew

um, i think we are talking about different quests :D i just had to fight a bunch of noob conjurers, find the staff, and give the staff to erthir so he'd give me the amulet for the other fella :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

What's the level cap on the game?

• Advertisement

um, i think we are talking about different quests :D i just had to fight a bunch of noob conjurers, find the staff, and give the staff to erthir so he'd give me the amulet for the other fella :)

Yeah, my bad, you beat my ninja edit. Quick, edit your quote :D Also, I SAW A MUDCRAB THE OTHER DAY

Advertisement