Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I think I will go out and buy this next week then so.

I have a good few games to get through at the moment though, Bioshock 2, Fallout New Vegas,Mass Effect 2,F.E.A.R, Condemned and Tropico 3. A busy few weeks ahead!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What about my job, I kinda need that... :(
    Pfft, and you call yourself a gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I think I will go out and buy this next week then so.

I have a good few games to get through at the moment though, Bioshock 2, Fallout New Vegas,Mass Effect 2,F.E.A.R, Condemned and Tropico 3. A busy few weeks ahead!

Few months more like it... good luck, god speed, live long and prosper and all that...

But don't come crying on here when you're all disheveled from your 'adventures' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Pfft, and you call yourself a gamer.

I need my job to get money to buy games! Its a never ending vicious circle :( Unless you want to give me money? :pac:
    aaronh007 wrote: »
    Few months more like it... good luck, god speed, live long and prosper and all that...

But don't come crying on here when you're all disheveled from your 'adventures' :pac:

Ha,I have youth on my side. I am fit and healthy, my best years ahead of me, I see this as not a challenge but more a formality :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bethesda: Consoles to be the lead platform for Skyrim, aim to make it “really accessible

What do people think of this? Personally I dont want to see Skyrim too dumbed down to be honest. I hope the development team have not gone too far down that road.

Hmm, not too happy about this. It sounds really negative. Granted, more accessible doesnt necessarily mean dumbed down, but i'm still worried. It doesnt need to be dumbed down anyway. Nothing in Oblivion was complicated. Seriously, do they think just cause it's on a console, that the people playing are retarded? Why do developers seem to think that people playing on a console can't handle some stats?

I'll still play it, and i'll still love it, but i hope that they don't shaft the people who have been playing their games for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Kiith wrote: »
    Seriously, do they think just cause it's on a console, that the people playing are retarded? Why do developers seem to think that people playing on a console can't handle some stats?

There are plenty of console gamers who enjoy a complex game as much as the rest of us pc gamers, but sadly it appears that the purchasing power of the casual console (or PC for that matter - just there appear to be more of the console type) gamer is proving too attractive to risk alienating.

It would be nice of you could have two different modes of play - ala a more complicated version of Hardcore mode in Fallout NV - such that you can have a more complex interface and inventory/skill/crafting interactions for those players who want the more complex game, and a more casual mode that still works as a good game for those that don't. I don't know how viable that would be though.

It will disappoint me though if Skyrim goes the route of trying to please casual console/PC gamers instead of sticking with the audience of those who like a deep/complex game - on both platforms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I don't really think this is necessarily a PC Vs console debate.

Its more of a intensive gameplayer Vs casual gameplayer debate, irrespective of platform. Making a game "more accessible" can be seen as making the game less complicated in nature in order to allow the casual gameplayer to just get in and out of the game at ease.

Which is worrying, considering TeS complexity (especially in areas such as lore and the like) have contributed to the games critical acclaim. I am just hoping Lafferty is really only referring to the navigation menus and the like . . . but all the same it needs clarifying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What's the problem? Oblivion had a console-centric UI, and thanks to the large modding community, that quickly got sorted. Heck, I'm not sure I've ever played "Vanilla" Oblivion. As soon as I installed it I added a myriad of mods.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't really think this is necessarily a PC Vs console debate.

Its more of a intensive gameplayer Vs casual gameplayer debate, irrespective of platform. Making a game "more accessible" can be seen as making the game less complicated in nature in order to allow the casual gameplayer to just get in and out of the game at ease.

Which is worrying, considering TeS complexity (especially in areas such as lore and the like) have contributed to the games critical acclaim. I am just hoping Lafferty is really only referring to the navigation menus and the like . . . but all the same it needs clarifying.

I'd agree with that, and wouldn't put it down to Console vs. Pc either. I just wish, as Dave The Sheep said, that they'd have both options in games. Give us the game with everything included, and stats and numbers all over the place. Then give an option to turn it all off, and just have that running in the background for casuals. And as you say, for TeS, it's a game that has always been built on these features. To remove them is a bit of a slap in the face to long time fans.

Again though, i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, and hope that they get it right.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    What's the problem? Oblivion had a console-centric UI, and thanks to the large modding community, that quickly got sorted. Heck, I'm not sure I've ever played "Vanilla" Oblivion. As soon as I installed it I added a myriad of mods.

The problem here is that it takes ages for most of these mods to make big changes to the game, especially with a completely new engine. Hopefully since the mod tools are available at launch (iirc), we'll get some good mods quickly enough. Actually, hopefully we won't need the mods to fix things that are totally broken, but maybe that's being optimistic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i'm hoping my little finger gets a rest and i won't be bunny hopping around like a loon trying to build up my stats

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Skerries wrote: »
    i'm hoping my little finger gets a rest and i won't be bunny hopping around like a loon trying to build up my stats

I will probably end up doing it out of habit either-way.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 82,765 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Controller > Turbobutton > Sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Is oblivion worth getting?

On looks alone and having never played this series before Skyrim looks amazing and I will be picking up that.

I don't want to jump into this without some previous experience, but if Elder Scrolls 4 was crap then so be it.

Oblivion was a big big disappointment for me and it was all because of the levelling system. It ruined the game.

An example would be, you go into a dungeon start fighting a load of bandits etc etc you then come across some rare armour. You then leave that dungeon and all of a sudden every random bandit you came across would be wearing the exact same higher level armour.

It got to a point where every bandit was wearing rare expensive armour all because the entire game levelled with you. It was pointless levelling up because one, you never really became any stronger than your enemy as they levelled with you and two you could stay level one the entire game and still finish the main quest.

In a game where levelling is one of the main aspects this broke the game imo. What was the point!?

And Fallout only improved on this slightly :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Have they released any system specs for pc yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,765 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Have they released any system specs for pc yet?
    probably nothing you have to worry about. Console Catering has really dulled the need to have a great rig to get the best specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Is oblivion worth getting?

On looks alone and having never played this series before Skyrim looks amazing and I will be picking up that.

I don't want to jump into this without some previous experience, but if Elder Scrolls 4 was crap then so be it.

Not really mate...Oblivion was a bit of a disappointment for me...now TES 3 Morrowind is the game you want.

Morrowing is quiet old these days but the story alone is worth it, also found the game more immersive and was genuinely in awe playing it

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Bethesda: Consoles to be the lead platform for Skyrim, aim to make it “really accessible

What do people think of this? Personally I dont want to see Skyrim too dumbed down to be honest. I hope the development team have not gone too far down that road.

I wouldn't worry too much, Sierra Oscar. The above article did not communicate the sentiment of the quote. Craig Lafferty was referring to the reduction in unnecessary complexity in the control scheme, which unbeknown to some people is good user interface design. And, the rest of the quote is referencing the user interface and menu system, which is fucking awesome especially in comparison to the banal and, sometimes, slipshod menus of previous games in the series.

The Elder Scrolls series has always been about hiding the statistics and plugging them in to meaningful actions.

The real issues: the loot system, leveling-system, dialogue and mission markers. They recognized the error and fixed the leveling-system and somewhat fixed the loot system in Fallout 3. In the video in which the above article references, Lafferty refers to the use of seventy voice-actors (opposed to the original seventeen for Oblivion) and n times number of lines for Skyrim and from what I have seen, they are moving slightly away from the static-screen conversations. I do not know how they are going to solve the problem of balance between the explicit display of the location of their current objective (mission markers, as in Oblivion) and implicit references and clues (as in Morrowind) and I think that they are just implementing the same system as in Fallout 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    I do not know how they are going to solve the problem of balance between the explicit display of the location of their current objective (mission markers, as in Oblivion) and implicit references and clues (as in Morrowind) and I think that they are just implementing the same system as in Fallout 3.

I remember in Morrowing getting instructions much like, "walk east until you find a rock, then go left until you find a cave".

Good times :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

busyliving wrote: »
    Not really mate...Oblivion was a bit of a disappointment for me...now TES 3 Morrowind is the game you want.

Morrowing is quiet old these days but the story alone is worth it, also found the game more immersive and was genuinely in awe playing it

Ah good old morrowind. I remember stumbling along and wandering into a cave and realising I was getting my arse handed to me. Legged it out of there with three fellas chasing me but escaped.

Came back after a bit of levelling and cleared out the place. You just didnt get that in Oblivion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Overheal wrote: »
    probably nothing you have to worry about. Console Catering has really dulled the need to have a great rig to get the best specs.

Your right,I hope my 3 yr old can handle it ;) otherwise its a ps3 purchase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I wonder will they fix the leveling up problem, very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    I do not know how they are going to solve the problem of balance between the explicit display of the location of their current objective (mission markers, as in Oblivion) and implicit references and clues (as in Morrowind) and I think that they are just implementing the same system as in Fallout 3.

There's a spell called clairvoyance which lights up the path, in say a dungeon to lead you where to go.
    I suppose this allows people to choose whether to use the spell or not. There's still a compass though.

What was it they did in fallout 3 again? I remember the green and red bars in the compass, did they have arrows marking locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Having playing Morrowwind a year or two after it came out I was genuinely in awe of it....thought it was a fantastic game and eagerly looked forward to Oblivion....

the penny arcade lads summed up my feelings perfectly

215542751_Ahtn7-L-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

to pc gamers, anyone think someone will make a dragon mount mod? god i want that so bad it would be one of the best mods ever created :D this is presuming dragon mounts are not in game which they probably are not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Given that someone made a dragon mount mod for oblivion, the question is more "when" rather than "will".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

that will be the s***, just ride a dragon into a horde of enemies and let him rip em apart :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I heard somewere it was a different engine no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Gandalph wrote: »
    I heard somewere it was a different engine no?
    Couldn't you tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

There's new engine from Oblivion. Graphics will look great, particularly on the PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Have they talked about reworking the combat mechanics? Never enjoyed them Oblivion as I felt they lacked "physicality".

Advertisement