Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Spunge wrote: »
    Isnt it strange that you can unlock any lock even without skilling up or putting any perks into lockpicking. Makes the skill kind of useless.

not really. i tried unlocking a master lock yesterday and no matter where i spun the pick to it broke straight away.

Much prefer the lock picking system in this to Oblivion especially. that was horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

havent gotten into that aspect of the game properly myself but might work on it when i finish work

Well worth getting in to it, especially jewellery. Loads of gold to be made from it but you need good speech to sell for the best prices. I bought the house in whiterun mainly from gold for looted items. Smithing has funded getting every decoration for it (including the alchemy lab) and a new set of weapons and armour.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Well worth getting in to it, especially jewellery. Loads of gold to be made from it but you need good speech to sell for the best prices. I bought the house in whiterun mainly from gold for looted items. Smithing has funded getting every decoration for it (including the alchemy lab) and a new set of weapons and armour.

you can decorate the house with your own ****?

i really need to own that house so. never bothered in previous games as i usually sold my excess stuff when i got over weighed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

My copy arrived from Amazon this morning. See ye in January!

you can decorate the house with your own ****?

i really need to own that house so. never bothered in previous games as i usually sold my excess stuff when i got over weighed.

Yep, it's mainly furniture for each section of the house. You also have bookshelves that you can load up, and weapons racks. It's a great spot to have as a base and right beside warmaidens for use of the forge, and drunken huntsman (reasonable prices for selling goods to) right across the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

DUGGY747 What an epic story you had :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

not really. i tried unlocking a master lock yesterday and no matter where i spun the pick to it broke straight away.

Much prefer the lock picking system in this to Oblivion especially. that was horrendous.

Exactly. Master locks are a right .........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

I never got into the whole enchantment thing in TES..

I get the whole cast a spell to trap a soul..

Use the soul to enchant an item..

Questions are:

Can you enchant an item (say Armour) with more than one enchantment.. Can you enchant armour with 10 different enchantments??

When trapping a soul.. how do you determine which soul trap is used in your inventory?? I really must look into this more!!

Is the only why to learn enchantments to destroy enchanted items??

hypermuse wrote: »

Questions are:

Can you enchant an item (say Armour) with more than one enchantment.. Can you enchant armour with 10 different enchantments??

When trapping a soul.. how do you determine which soul trap is used in your inventory?? I really must look into this more!!

not too sure about the rest or even how to trap souls but i found a sword that does it for me. AFAIK it fills up any available soul gem that is the right size. ie a skeever would fill a petty soul gem while a bandit wouldnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

Walked to Winterhold via Solitude. Along the way I was chased by ice wolves, ran with a fox in the moonlight and stopped at a decidedly celtic burial mound as dusk caressed its stones. Definitely a like on the atmosphere.I can still feel the snow crunching beneath my boots.

• Advertisement

Questions are:

I've never done Enchantment either, I don't even know what to do (I'd like to, though, because I believe it's needed to beat the end-game) but you can only have one enchantment per item.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Anybody else getting a weird graphics glitch where the textures for people's clothes don't seem to load properly? And all you see is a white, glowing bump-mapped version of their clothes? Happens with trees too.

This isn't me but for a game that's only 3.5 days old it kinda speaks for itself in terms of gameplay quality....

B8wjP.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

But in fallout 3 and new vegas, which uses the exact same lockpicking metho,. you had to put a crap load of skill points into lockpicking to even be able to attempt an adept lock. I was able to do an adept lock no problem here and i put nothing into lockpicking. Ok, fair enough, maybe you need to spend some perks to be able to unlock master locks but even then is it worth it since you can open any other lock without spending any perks at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Can someone tell me the difference between having Lydia around and one of those guys in the taverns like Sven in riverwood? We went up to the entrance of bleak falls to pick up the loot and she unfortunately nose dived off a walkway :D Last thing I saw was her smashing off 2 rocks and disappearing in to the forest below.
    The different companions have different abilities/fighting styles. I had a conjurer from Whitehold College for ages, definitely fun when both of us and our two Atronachs are chucking fireballs about the place, but a bit squishy at times so I decided to switch for someone that could take a beating.

I'm now wandering the world with my trusty dog as a companion. Unfortunately he can't carry anything, but he does have the nice advantage for a mage that I can fling spells over his head at my target whereas humanoids just keep getting in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Actually, thats something I havent been doing. In FONV I used to load ED E up with stuff but for this I've been carrying what I can manage(Which is a fair bit at 400 capacity, even with heavy as fck armour).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

There is a perk right at the end of the Enchanting tree that allows 2 Enchants per item, which is pretty valuable.
    hypermuse wrote:
    In the general sense the more powerful the creature, the 'better' the soul gem needed. It should be pointed out that that only applies to 'white' (creature) souls, i.e. creatures. Black Soul Gems are for humanoid souls and basically count as the equivalent of a Grand Soul Gem. It should be pointed out that all humanoids are 'Grand' souls, regardless of how weak/powerful they are.

This matters hugely when
    you get Azura's Star. If you give it back to Azura, it acts like a reusable Grand Soul Gem, if you give it back to the other guy, it acts as a (much more useful) Black Soul Gem.
    hypermuse wrote:
    Pretty much.

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Anybody else getting a weird graphics glitch where the textures for people's clothes don't seem to load properly? And all you see is a white, glowing bump-mapped version of their clothes? Happens with trees too.

360? It was confirmed on the weekend to be an issue with having the game installed. Best graphics for now are playing straight off the disc but there is a patch coming soon to fix the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

360? It was confirmed on the weekend to be an issue with having the game installed. Best graphics for now are playing straight off the disc but there is a patch coming soon to fix the install.

PC, it's not the same issue as the ones I'm seeing in articles about the 360 (I think that's to do with blurred textures?). I'll try and get a few screenshots up when I get home from work.

Other than this bug, a few intermittent CTDs and dragon skeletons dropping from the sky when emerging from dungeons, it's been relatively bug free in y experience. Which is more than I can say for Oblivion and Morrowind!

Spunge wrote: »
    But in fallout 3 and new vegas, which uses the exact same lockpicking metho,. you had to put a crap load of skill points into lockpicking to even be able to attempt an adept lock. I was able to do an adept lock no problem here and i put nothing into lockpicking. Ok, fair enough, maybe you need to spend some perks to be able to unlock master locks but even then is it worth it since you can open any other lock without spending any perks at all.

Don't know what locks you've been picking but I have found sick gear/items/gold from unlocking chests and doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Haven't noticed any graphical glitches on the 360 yet, and I have it installed, will leave it installed anyways, as the game is gonna be on so much.

Mr Freeze wrote: »

Haven't noticed any graphical glitches on the 360 yet, and I have it installed, will leave it installed anyways, as the game is gonna be on so much.

I've noticed it a bit with grass textures and settled snow but I'm the same as you, I'd rather sacrifice perfect graphics and slow load times than the disc drive :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i gotta say.. apart from 3 ctd's (which I dont care about at all, because the game just starts up and gets going so quickly) the only bug i've seen is when a dragon was attacking me inside a town.. it landed on a house, missed, and got stguck in the wall of the house. easiest dragon kill ever

apart from that though.. the game has been almost flawless for me. i'm incredibly impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Lydia's dead in my game. :( Dwarven Centurion finished her off. Looking at her "owned" bed in Breezehome makes me feel sad. I tried to request a new Housecarl from the Jarl...he's not interested apparently.

tf? She's carrying all my dragon bones and dragon scales. I need to buy a gaff tout suite now :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I just can't wait to finish work so I can get back to playing it this eve.

Just started it yesterday and it's great fun so far. I completed the Golden Claw quest and vanquished the Dragon outside Whiterun. Now it's onto the Throat of the World. I'm currently playing as a blonde haired Imperial male called Jaime Lannister, the same Jaime Lannister from the Game of Thrones books. In Jaime Lannister fashion I'm being as brash and cocky as possible:-)

The game world certainly looks more impressive than Oblivion's so far which I thought was a bit too bland, repetitive and pretty for my liking.I much preferred Vvardenfell in Morrowind and Solstheim in Bloodmoon to pretty old Cyrodill in Oblivion. The world in Skyrim looks great so far with it's snowy mountains & valleys and it's rough terrain. The giants and mammoths looks brill as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

And there's the beauty of an Elder Scrolls game.

I'd also like to mention how fricking addictive lockpicking is. I literally lockpick empty cages/cells just to do it some more :/

A (minor) Thieves Guild spoiler for you if you want...
    If you join the Thieves Guild, there's a room with five chests. Each of them has a different lock on them, from easiest to hardest. You can practice on them over and over. And they relock themselves as soon as you close them. I haven't used them too often, even then only the lower ones and never doing the same one twice in a row or something, but each time I've gone back to them there's been new loot in them. And you're definitely not stealing from them. They're pretty handy things, especially as lockpicking is a player skill, as well as a player character skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Yeah, yeah, I know, you're all well ahead of me at this stage, and past caring... but my copy from Amazon arrived this morning. And I have the next three weeks off :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

This isn't me but for a game that's only 3.5 days old it kinda speaks for itself in terms of gameplay quality....

B8wjP.png

And I thought I was bad with
    FAA93281288241099562B5458F9AB137-0000344797-0002628851-00410L-F014BF803D164ABCAD49AB452BA2EAC7.jpg

*whoop 1,100th post*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

For shame on all of you !

You are supposedly "Dragonborn" , the most kick ass warrior in all of Skyrim...but are hiding behind some woman who goes into battle first.

I just told her I didn't want her help, and go everything solo :D
    The carrying stuff would be useful, I found another companion though ( A mage, pretty nifty in the mission) , but not taken him with me anywhere yet.

Dragon Bones and scales are worth a fortune, I can't find a trader with enough money to buy them all off me.

I'm hoping for Daedra statues like in Oblivion, 2 best items were off them
    Infinite Soul Gem and Unbreakable lockpick...best item ever :D
    Found a Daedra temple, but no key to get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Don't know what locks you've been picking but I have found sick gear/items/gold from unlocking chests and doors.

I don't mean lockpicking in itself is useless, but because you can open pretty much any lock anyway, i don't see any reason to waste perks on upgrading it.

Advertisement