Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You will need something for close quarters, either 1 handed weapons or some magic. As you will inevitably have to fight certain bosses or mobs where your bow&arrow just wont cut it

If you want to go sneaky sneak, join the dark brotherhood for stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Not particularly wanting to be sneaky sneaky. I was thinking more along lines of Legolas, so I would need a one-handed waepon for close quartes but there still should be some epic bows that are powerful enough to get through the game like WoW there are bows as powerful as swords since they are faster etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Wossack wrote: »
    Im a heavy armoured, 1 handed sword swinging, destruction using, stealth archer... FU archetypes!! :D

This is me too, with an emphasis on the stealth archer. I know I should switch to light armour at some stage and I will when I join the Thieves Guild or the Dark Brotherhood.

Also a
    Werewolf, but only transformed once, hopefully next time I try it, it will work

I put my perk points all over the place at 1st, and should have been putting them all in Archery. Using a Falmer bow, that I enchanted with frost damage, its a one hit kill from stealth, and 2, max 3 when the enemies can see me.

Anyone find any really powerful bows?

Not particularly wanting to be sneaky sneaky. I was thinking more along lines of Legolas, so I would need a one-handed waepon for close quartes but there still should be some epic bows that are powerful enough to get through the game like WoW there are bows as powerful as swords since they are faster etc etc

This is now WoW, this is not an mmorpg, this is Skyrim.
    You can try your best I guess, but can't see it working without the aid of an axe, or some magic, unless you can enchant your bow to be powerful enough. (I.e adds fire or certain spell to your bow)

On another note, does anyone know how the enemies work on this with regards to levels, and what the level cap is ?

From memory, in Oblivion, the enemies levelled up with you, so at lvl10 you would only see the crappy Daedra, at lvl20 you would see the stronger ones, at lvl30 the stronger etc....so it didn't really matter what level you entered the gates at as it was suited to your level, same with most dungeons.
    I was lvl 30 or so before starting the main story in Oblivion, so all the Daedra were hard.

At the moment I roam around the mountains just going into caves, but some of the enemies I've come accross are pretty hard, I'm at lvl16.
    I came acrros Knevel at level 8, have gone back every 2 or 3 levels, I still can't do him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm getting in deep here, haven't had a game stick with me like this since Morrowind - which is still my favourite game ever. I never really took to Oblivion in the same way and this feels much closer to Morrowind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Just got my copy! Want to go through the game as Archery main, is it viable to play the whole game? Like will I be powerfull enough to take down dragons, or inside buildings is it a viable method to take down enemies or will I also need a good swrod for backup?
    Get a companion that can tank the mobs for you and you'll be fine. To make it even easier, if you level enchanting, you can stick fear enchants or turn undead on your bows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

You'll need a sword, or two daggers could do. You get a nice sword in the Thieves guild, and a very nice bow too that you can use

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Forget to say, does anyone know if installing on the Xbox cuts down on the load times enough to make it worth it? I read on Eurogamer that there can be problems with textures if you do, which is putting me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

I've been doing the whole mag aspect but I always carry a bow on me coz its great to do a bit of sneaking and stealth damage.

you can just keep firing at them and they wont attack unless they see you! :D

need to buy alot more spells thou...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    This is me too, with an emphasis on the stealth archer. I know I should switch to light armour at some stage and I will when I join the Thieves Guild or the Dark Brotherhood.

Also a
    Werewolf, but only transformed once, hopefully next time I try it, it will work

I put my perk points all over the place at 1st, and should have been putting them all in Archery. Using a Falmer bow, that I enchanted with frost damage, its a one hit kill from stealth, and 2, max 3 when the enemies can see me.

Anyone find any really powerful bows?

Useful Bow
    Nightingale Bow that you get from Karliah, in the Thieves guild is useful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Should i just turn all the pelts i have into leather ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, no use for them other than leather and selling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Forget to say, does anyone know if installing on the Xbox cuts down on the load times enough to make it worth it? I read on Eurogamer that there can be problems with textures if you do, which is putting me off.

dont know about the load times but someone mentioned earlier that the xbox texture issue is being patched soon.

The game is missing a quick-bind....does anyone find themselves wanting to press 4 for Bow, or 5 for fire etc....instead of Q, scroll up and down, select weapon/spell

Anyone know much about the mod community or their plans on doing up the UI ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

titan18 wrote: »
    Useful Bow
    Nightingale Bow that you get from Karliah, in the Thieves guild is useful

Cool, thanks, where is the Thieves guild in Skyrim, I have't heard a word about it yet, I heard about all the other guilds so far and I am currently on my way to find the Dark Brotherhood.

Training tonight & wednedays, so no Skyrim.

Running tomorrow evening so should get on after that for a while.

This game totally takes over, I can't let the other half know I have it, after the Oblivion incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

SeantheMan wrote: »
    The game is missing a quick-bind....does anyone find themselves wanting to press 4 for Bow, or 5 for fire etc....instead of Q, scroll up and down, select weapon/spell

you can quick bind, hit q and select whatever you bind and then the 1 key or whichever number

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Cool, thanks, where is the Thieves guild in Skyrim, I have't heard a word about it yet, I heard about all the other guilds so far and I am currently on my way to find the Dark Brotherhood.

This game totally takes over, I can't let the other half know I have it, after the Oblivion incident.
    For the thieves guild get sent to prison usually starts that, and the dark brotherhood you have to murder someone to get noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

SeantheMan wrote: »

You can quick bind! Highlight something in the favourites menu and just press the number key you want bound to that item or spell.

Thieves guild is in the city where you have your first quest for the Dark Brotherhood handily enough :) ..can't remember its name.
    You can quick bind! Highlight something in the favourites menu and just press the number key you want bound to that item or spell.
    you can quick bind, hit q and select whatever you bind and then the 1 key or whichever number
    I think I love yous

For the thieves guild get sent to prison usually starts that, and the dark brotherhood you have to murder someone to get noticed.
    There's a kid called Aventus or something, trying to summon the Nightmother, in the city to the NorthEast where Ulrich is, Windhelm
    That starts you off on the Dark Brotherhood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

calex71 wrote: »

Oh has anyone met the
    Krosis
    yet???? I was fighting a Dragon and he poped up after and served me an unhealthy dose of ass whoppin' even at level 13 I got nothing that will put a dent in him :mad:

Yeah I met him a while back. I was a low enough level, maybe 8 but could have been less. Spent literally 40 minutes trying to kill him. Eventually found out that some of the magic worked ok, but it was a long long fight. Weapons worked best but he'd destroy me when I tried to get close

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Cheers! I think Enchanting a bow will hep with crowd control and a companion could be useful! Cant wait to get home and load it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

While Archery and Stealth are probably more effective, Magic is where the real fun is at for me. Been dual weilding Fireballs, and whenever someone gets close i blast them 100 feet away with Unrelenting Force.

Fought a Dreug Scourge, usually a tough enough enemy, at the top of a giant glaciar...bad idea Dreugh. I couldn't even see his body smash on the ground way below :P

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, get a good bow(Dwarven of Diminishing is decent enough), some steel arrows, the zoom and damage perks on archery and start owning from huge range. You get 2X damage for stealth, and often they dont find you if you position well.
    Took out the whole Blackguard(I think) crew in in the cave north east of solitude this way in the lighthouse quest. Went up about 5 sneak levels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Actually, down in Riften (home of the thieves guild), you can
    run into a man who will offer you a small job of stealing a ring. This starts you off in the thieves guild.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I wish i could specialize in everything, coz its all fun in its own special way, and because of that i still havent put perks into anything but 3 into smithing at lvl 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I've heard that you technically can level everything to 100...

EDIT: And max out all attributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

About five hours into game on PC and Epic does not even begin to describe this game. Anybody who has any doubts about getting this game,
    forget them. Game of the Year in my book with out doubt..:D

I've spent a few thousand levelling from teachers yeah. Jump 5 level's for about 1200 seems an ok deal to me.
    Especially when 1 dragon kill = loot of 1.5k +

I just hope they're not an endangered species ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

How much are people getting for their Dragonbones/skins?

Advertisement