Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place to study after library closes?

Options
  • 12-12-2010 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I'm a post grad & wondering where can I go after library hours. I went to that postgrad room but it's not great, it's cold & full! Is there any rooms left open & are generally not too bad for study conditions?! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Tastyboy wrote: »
    I'm a post grad & wondering where can I go after library hours. I went to that postgrad room but it's not great, it's cold & full! Is there any rooms left open & are generally not too bad for study conditions?! Thanks in advance!

this is a source of pain for a lot of ul students . most people try to study in the red rasions cafe in the b block of the main building i would try to source a tutorial room to study in a lot of them are open in the main building hope this is of some use to you but there is no real study space open when the library is closed . you should try asking some of your fellow students to get a study space if they were a under grad in ul they will have one or 2 spaces that will be of some use to you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Security lock every single room every night (because buildings don't trust us) And Red Raisins sucks because it gets cold and there's very few plug sockets :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

UCC have a 24hr study room afaik.

My time in UL is nearly up but there are some borderline scandalous states of affairs here, chiefly;

- The fact there is no printing services from 4.30pm Saturday to 9.00am Monday
    - The fact there is no 24hr study labs [Simple swipe system would obviate the need for staff]
    - The fact that short loans closes 4.30pm Saturday to 9.00am Monday. [Again, Swipe In/Out]
    - The fact that the Library contains shed loads of irrelevant books and generally only 1 or 2 copies of core course texts. [The cynic in me thinks this is deliberate given who the authors of some texts are.]

Student services and resources [outside of the Maths Learning Centre which is fantastic] are absolutely pish from my experiences over the past 3.5 years. Might not be the case across the board, but it's been the case for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

cson wrote: »
    UCC have a 24hr study room afaik.

My time in UL is nearly up but there are some borderline scandalous states of affairs here, chiefly;

- The fact there is no printing services from 4.30pm Saturday to 9.00am Monday
    - The fact there is no 24hr study labs [Simple swipe system would obviate the need for staff]
    - The fact that short loans closes 4.30pm Saturday to 9.00am Monday. [Again, Swipe In/Out]
    - The fact that the Library contains shed loads of irrelevant books and generally only 1 or 2 copies of core course texts. [The cynic in me thinks this is deliberate given who the authors of some texts are.]

Student services and resources [outside of the Maths Learning Centre which is fantastic] are absolutely pish from my experiences over the past 3.5 years. Might not be the case across the board, but it's been the case for me.

Have you no home to go to? Mine has a printer available all week end, Tea and coffee making facilities, Loads of Power sockets and warm....

irrelevant books to you may be my course recommend reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Have you no home to go to? Mine has a printer available all week end, Tea and coffee making facilities, Loads of Power sockets and warm....

Congratulations. I don't actually study in the Library, I study at home. But I still think that it's a poor service for those who do.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    irrelevant books to you may be my course recommend reading.

Having done 3.5yrs of Law Modules and visited the Library for reference materials I think I'm in a good position to comment that imo about 60% of the books in certain sections are either irrelevant or outdated in the Law section.

I'm not so naive as to think; "Oh Engineering Book? Irrelevant, **** it out!"

You aren't talking to a first year here. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

cson wrote: »

Having done 3.5yrs of Law Modules and visited the Library for reference materials I think I'm in a good position to comment that imo about 60% of the books in certain sections are either irrelevant or outdated in the Law section.

I'm not so naive as to think; "Oh Engineering Book? Irrelevant, **** it out!"

You aren't talking to a first year here. ;)

believe me Cson the engineering section is no better we have copy's of books from edition 1 to 10 with most of the earler editions being usless with the developments in computer programs that are available now :mad::mad::mad::mad: i've resorted to using the internet for most of my research now .

Advertisement