Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunar Eclipse

Options
  • 12-12-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

If the skys are clear 2nite and 2moro we will be in for a nice display wit a lunar eclipse, the moon will turn are redish /orange colour at about 6-7am .

SO anyone up at time hav a peek up in the sky :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Iancar29 wrote: »
    If the skys are clear 2nite and 2moro we will be in for a nice display wit a lunar eclipse, the moon will turn are redish /orange colour at about 6-7am .

SO anyone up at time hav a peek up in the sky :)

Thats not till next week, early morning of Mon 21st.
    We will only see the start of it then the sun will rise and the moon won't be visible at all and it will set while eclipsed.
    Sorry about that Iancar29, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Thats not till next week, early morning of Mon 21st.
    We will only see the start of it then the sun will rise and the moon won't be visible at all and it will set while eclipsed.
    Sorry about that Iancar29, :D

Awh ya serious?.... dammit! haha, stupid me!

and theres me wondering why there wasnt a thread started yet for it! haha

cheers Cú Giobach!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 algie

standing out in snow on and off since 6 this am watching the eclipse - yes still pissed from last night - anyhoo pretty cool but just at crucial moment thing disappears behind a cloud - pops head out again then sinks behind a chimney -this 400yr event almost as crap as "The Event" think its funny now - in about three hrs there will b RRRAAAGGGEEE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

What direction is the moon? I cant find the bloody thing.

N, S, E, W?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

North-ish

• Advertisement

SE roughly.

Hrm, maybe not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Is it still happening?

I can't see it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Hmm now you have me doubting my inner compas! I think it's in a general north-west direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

cor, I got a few crap pics, forgot to get the tripod ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Novaman

Well done to you all who got a view, I know the weather did not help for some which was a real pity. I got a wonderful view of it here in east Cavan, even at minus 13.5C it was worth it. I could follow the eclipsed moon all the way to my horizon I have to say I was really lucky as the fog last night was really bad.

Here is a taste of what the scene was like over the snow-covered fields

Just after totality
    www.webtreatz.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-102

The eclipsed moon setting
    www.webtreatz.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-101

And right at moonset from my site, this was really hard to see as it seemed the moon was getting ever darker, and with the brightening sky, this enede off a lovely show
    www.webtreatz.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-100

NM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

Thought it was tonight and missed it. :(. Unlikely to have see anything anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Novaman wrote: »
    Well done to you all who got a view, I know the weather did not help for some which was a real pity. I got a wonderful view of it here in east Cavan, even at minus 13.5C it was worth it. I could follow the eclipsed moon all the way to my horizon I have to say I was really lucky as the fog last night was really bad.

Here is a taste of what the scene was like over the snow-covered fields

Just after totality
    www.webtreatz.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-102

The eclipsed moon setting
    www.webtreatz.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-101

And right at moonset from my site, this was really hard to see as it seemed the moon was getting ever darker, and with the brightening sky, this enede off a lovely show
    www.webtreatz.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-100

NM

great photos :eek: - i'd advise everyone who took the trouble to go out in the cold in hope but couldn't even see the moon due to cloud cover to check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Nice pics Novaman, i was up at 7 but we were covered in snowclouds in North co. Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Nice pics Novaman, i was up at 7 but we were covered in snowclouds in North co. Dublin!

saw nothing in limerick, but them damn yanks eh.

great pics here and here and here!!!

on another note, anyone know how 'the ancients' built newgrange to such precise measurements and position, amazes me still that it's 5000 years old and still startlingly accurate. plus its always nice to know that the people of ireland were always so interested in the cosmic ocean.

edit: they're not as good as yours though novaman :)

Advertisement