Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC downgraded my connection?

• 12-12-2010 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

How do I go about checking if they did this? I had a 3Mb connection a year or so back but they upgraded us to 5Mb at the start of 2010 I think (I'm sure ye remember the upgrades?)

Recently in the last few weeks the connection speed is a little off, noticeably when streaming large video files on megavideo, divx, etc. I checked on speedtest.net and it's showing me this -

1067567889.png

Should I contact UPC or are others having the same problem? Apologies if there is already a thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Colibri wrote: »
    How do I go about checking if they did this? I had a 3Mb connection a year or so back but they upgraded us to 5Mb at the start of 2010 I think (I'm sure ye remember the upgrades?)

Recently in the last few weeks the connection speed is a little off, noticeably when streaming large video files on megavideo, divx, etc. I checked on speedtest.net and it's showing me this -

1067567889.png

Should I contact UPC or are others having the same problem? Apologies if there is already a thread.
    its probably just a technical issue, i've never heard of UPC downgrading people like DSL providers do.

contact support and get them to do some troubleshooting and they'll most likely be able to sort it out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Download Speed: 4912 kbps (614 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 472 kbps (59 KB/sec transfer rate)

Ah feck sake, it's grand now. Speedtest.net is faulty then I'd say!

That still doesn't explain the large video file problem (never had it 'til recently)

Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

Colibri wrote: »
    Ah feck sake, it's grand now. Speedtest.net is faulty then I'd say!

Pick the Dublin server if you want a higher speed to show.

Limerick:
    1068218607.png
    Dublin:
    1068220002.png

Probably goes up to Dublin, then down to Limerick, then back to Dublin and on to you.
    Excellent routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭YohanCabeye7

In the same boat o.p.

I've gone from 3 meg to 5 meg to 15 meg fibrepower ( or whatever it is )

And my conn on speedtest for the past 4/5 days ( maybe longer ) has been capped at 3.0 DL, UL has been fine about 1.0. My ping is ranging from 60 - 100.

on Magnet it is showing the full 15 meg. this is false. My connection is definitely running slower than usual. the Dublin speedtest test is also showing positive signs like Magnet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

In the same boat o.p.

I've gone from 3 meg to 5 meg to 15 meg fibrepower ( or whatever it is )

And my conn on speedtest for the past 4/5 days ( maybe longer ) has been capped at 3.0 DL, UL has been fine about 1.0. My ping is ranging from 60 - 100.

on Magnet it is showing the full 15 meg. this is false. My connection is definitely running slower than usual. the Dublin speedtest test is also showing positive signs like Magnet.
    none of the speedtest sites can be relied on to show you your true speed all the time and results can very wildly even though your connection might be 100% rock solid.

the only reliable way to test is with a download manager like downthemall or flashget and multiple FTP downloads from multiple heanet nodes here: http://ftp.heanet.ie/

pick a couple of linux ISO's and leave it running for a bit and see what you get then.

Advertisement