Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best android keyboard?

• 12-12-2010 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭

I've used

swype
    slideit
    android
    ultra keyboard

I've found slideit the best but still not perfect,anyone recommend a great keyboard or a keyboard that makes the buttons in both views bigger in a major way.

fat thumbs i guess!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

My favourite keyboard so far is SwiftKey, because it learns how you write and offers predictions on what the next word will be, and it can really speed up writing messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Id have a particuliar interest in this too cause im finding it awkward typing with this keyboard comparedto the iphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Swype for me. Love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

SwiftKey for me. Though it highlights just how repetitive you are in what you write :pac: I liked Swype but for some reason I was pretty inaccurate, my texts were full of typos.

At the moment I'm on the stock Desire keypad because my trials for the above two ran out - finding it difficult to get back into using it, after SwiftKey made writing so easy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Swifykey for me. Tried nearly all them including the new Gingerbread keyboard but went back to Swiftkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Swiftkey. Couldnt get the hang of swype at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Swiftkey as well for me, by far the best I've used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

+1 for Swiftkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

SwiftKey for me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

SwiftKey for me too. I've saved 13% on keypresses due to its suggestions. That's 11554 presses. :-) Its gets a bit laggy at times and it's at bit picky as well now and then, but as a whole I've found it to be awesome. Typing this with it now :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Only after buying my first android yesterday, how do I go about changing the keyboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Hold your finger inside the text box and select a different input method :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Colibri wrote: »
    Hold your finger inside the text box and select a different input method :-)

For Swiftkey, maybe others, you first have to goto "Settings / Language & Keyboard" and enable the keyboard, before it will show up as an input method. Don't think it's enabled automatically after installation??

+1 for swiftkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

swiftkey is brilliant,im entirely happy,it was so frustrating using the other keyboards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

My vote goes to Swype. The beta just came through for the Desire HD.
    I used to use it on a Samsung and missed it once I'd learnt how to use it properly.
    I used Swiftkey for a while. It saves typing but I find I can type a lot of the words quicker with Swype once you don't lift your finger from the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm using swiftkey and I love it. I've tried swype but there is too much thinking required when using it. I've saved 12% worth of keystrokes by using Swiftkey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

slideIT for me, didn't like swiftkey too much the predictive text doesn't suit me, i already have a qwerty keyboard so i think it's redundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Swiftkey by far the best
    try joining their VIP club too and you get first dibs on some new cool stuff
    Using a new keyboard style now and its pretty handsome I must say

Installed the new version about 2 weeks ago and its saved 7328 keystrokes or a massive 30% in typing. Great as its also stopped all these stupid typos I was getting with the stock keyboard also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Did anyone else have trouble with swiftkey? I was enjoying using it when it first came out, but about a week after I first used it, my SD card unmounted and couldn't be remounted or reformatted - it just wouldn't do anything. I presumed it was just a faulty one, brought it back to Meteor, they exchanged it.

Brand new card, same thing happened again. From looking online, there were reports that Swiftkey was corrupting cards. I can't remember exactly as it's about 6 months ago, but it was something to do with swiftkey continuously accessing the card. Anyway, when I got my third micro SD card I uninstalled Swiftkey - and I haven't had any problems since.

I've been using Swype which I enjoy but as I'm always tinkering with the phone I'm tempted by this thread to reinstall Swiftkey.

Was I just very unlucky? I'm using a HTC Desire. It was fine to lose all the stuff on the SD card back then, but if it was to happen again I'd be pretty annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Smartkeyboard Pro :)

best keyboard out there in my experience :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭heepie

I have to go with swype

I love the way you can type without lifting a finger, it's a lot faster once you get the hang of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I have 8pen and Shapewriter installed, don't use 8pen (although I never really gave it a chance) but love Shapewriter (which I got before it disappeared and came back as a paid for app).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

My favourite keyboard so far is SwiftKey, because it learns how you write and offers predictions on what the next word will be, and it can really speed up writing messages.

+1 for SwiftKey, tried a few including swype & this one works best for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I gave 8pen a right ol' go, but ultimately gave up after about a month or more. Sure, you have less typos as it's pretty much impossible to hit the wrong key and I loved the custom gestures for email addresses etc. but it's still too slow. And even after a month or so of use I found it difficult to type without looking.

One other thing worth a mention is anytime there's a bit of lag in the phone and it misses a part of a gesture it's really annoying. I found it happening more often than with the stock keyboard but it would definitely be more noticeable due to the contact with the touchscreen (gestures rather than just tapping).
    (I use a Desire but still find it often lags when typing into a form in the web browser.)

Cheers for the suggestions I'll have to see what SwiftKey is like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Swype here :) got a beta invite about two weeks ago, and its awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

been using swype for a while, continually annoyed with it getting the wrong letters (u instead of i, i instread o, etc)
    also it never seemed to learn my words, and always gave that fullscreen "you have replaced this word with a custom word" when you selected another word from the list.

tried swiftkey a few days ago and its fantastic compared to it. typing is so much easier, never make a mistake etc.

tried 8pen for a few hours but its more like a college project than a mainstream app.

on a side note, since removing swpye, the whole phone is more responsive, probably unrelated but another reason why i am glad its gone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Use Swype and love it.

Seeing all the positive comments here for Swiftkey I've just installed the trial.

Initial thoughts are that is much slower than Swype for entering text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

+1 for Swiftkey Full app. It writes most of the sentence out for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Nice new keyboard skin on last nights update too :D

• Advertisement

SwiftKey seems to be pretty good for me the last few days but it looks lame. Badly needs new skins

Just got SwiftKey updated and the default skin is a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Just purchased Swiftkey. If it turns out to be sh!te I want my €3 back from all on here who advocated it :D

meh its not great. i downloaded the trial version first. dont see anything great about it :) Smart keyboard at least lets you customize it. This one looks like a plain htc keyboard. Dont see any improvement in typing either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

meh its not great. i downloaded the trial version first. dont see anything great about it :) Smart keyboard at least lets you customize it. This one looks like a plain htc keyboard. Dont see any improvement in typing either

You have to give it a few days. It learns as you use it.

SkySter wrote: »
    You have to give it a few days. It learns as you use it.

i did :) gave it two days ;) went back to smart keyboard now. the button layout for me is more suitable on that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mossie

I tried swype and like it until it stopped working. Then I switched to SlideIt which is great. Got a beta invite for swype last week and installed it but it only worked for two days and I can't get it working again. Would probably edge swype over slideit if it actually worked for an extended period but no luck there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Installed swiftkey but not getting the dynamic keys you top, any ideas?

Edit, sorted. SwiftKey had to do a language update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Since 2.2, I don't like the stock keyboard at all, which ones would you recommend (in a similar style to the stock one, dont want a swype style)

Advertisement