Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo XC90 for snowy weather?

• 12-12-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi guys, as with alot of people in this weather I have found it almost impossible to get to work due to the snow and ice. I currently have a 2002 BMW530d auto and I had been thinking about changing to an estate (BMW520 2005/06) in the new year (two dogs). The snow arrived and I found the BMW not great in the snow and so I had to rethink the estate. I travel from the midlands to Dublin for work but getting to a main gritted road is my problem.

I have now been looking at 4x4 jeeps and cars (I need diesel pref auto). The one that I like most is the 2005 Volvo xc90 2.4D5. It seems like a very practical and comfortable car (from reviews). The 7 seats will come in very useful (ferrying kids plus friends, etc) but not essential.

Will this cope with the snow(10"), ice and frost we have just experienced or should I look at an actual 4x4 such as the Landrover Discovery or BMW X5.
    I don't intend going off-road bar getting stuck in a field at a football match. I realize that we might also get better weather and so an all-rounder is what I need.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Sounds like it's the sort of thing you need, how often are going to go through a foot or more of snow! It's certainly popular in the UK as good allrounder (Jeremy Clarkson is on his third, praises it today's Sunday Times at the same time as accusing Toyota of losing the plot with the latest Landcruiser).

Haven't heard anything about reliability issues with them. Discoveries and X5s and the like will be heavier on fuel and tax. Consider Subarus as well although they may not have the sort of interiors you're used to with beemers (and they didn't do diesels until recently)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

The forester looks good but I am so used to auto now. Yeah from pictures alone Subaru interior wouldn't be my cup of tea. Volvo interior is ok. If it's good enough for Jeremy Clarkson it's good enough for me (mind you he might have some v8 monster in his). I think the volvo could be the way to go.
    Thanks Sean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just bye some winter tyres and a 2nd set of wheels if possible. It's been discussed here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Has the Volvo XC 90 had gearbox problems? Might be wish to check it out as I think it is.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

Del2005 wrote: »
    Just bye some winter tyres and a 2nd set of wheels if possible. It's been discussed here
    Thanks Del I was thinking about changing car away so was considering an estate or something similar. Good idea with winter tyres. Will keep it in mind if I look at a normal 2wd estate.
    greysides wrote: »
    Has the Volvo XC 90 had gearbox problems? Might be wish to check it out as I think it is.
    Thanks greysides I'll look into this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

You're better off with a manual or at least an automatic with the ability to manually change gear in the snow and ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

It's a volvo, it'll have some sort of snow mode in the auto box. they do get a little bit of snow up there.

Sounds like a good choice to me, but it'll still need some sort of all season/winter tyres.

four summer spec road tyres being driven instead of two will give you double the grip, but double feck all is still not much :)

Advertisement