Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed assignment/module component?

Options
  • 12-12-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

I didn't pass a component of a module earlier in the semester but was very close to it with an E.

Was wondering if I'll get anything for it or if it's not worth anything because I failed.

ie say I got 30% in an assignment worth 40% of the final grade. Will I get the 12% towards my final grade or do I lose it?

Thanks if someone can help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭Alkers

As far as I know you will get 30% of the 40% going for the assignment so 12% towards the overall module grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Simona's right, you don't have to pass the assignment to pass the module, for the majority of modules anyway. There are some, in medicine for example, where you have to pass all components. But for the majority you don't.

If you got 30% in the assignment worth 40% of the module, then you will have 12% going into the exam.

You are given that 12%, you don't need to pass to be awarded the %. Say you got 5% in your assignment, you would still carry that couple of % into the exam. Obviously make it harder to pass overall, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Brilliant :)

Makes me feel better to know I have that extra few per cent going into the exam because I wasn't sure.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Brandon2592

Do you have to pass the actual exam for the module? Like say you got 20% out of a possible 20% in continuous assessment and then only 25% out of a possible 80% in your end of semester exam do you pass because you got over 40% or do you fail as you didn't actually pass your end of semester exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Do you have to pass the actual exam for the module? Like say you got 20% out of a possible 20% in continuous assessment and then only 25% out of a possible 80% in your end of semester exam do you pass because you got over 40% or do you fail as you didn't actually pass your end of semester exam?

As far as I understand it, you still pass.

So long as your overall percentage is over 40% then you have passed, regardless if you got all your marks in continuous assessment or final exam.

• Advertisement

Yup that's right :)

I've been saved by my continuous assessments a few times in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Brandon2592

Well that's a stress gone ha... Thanks!

You do have the chance to get a high grade in the module if your continuous assessment went well, so might as well try. Don't just aim for a pass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

It all depends on the module coordinators set up. I have had some subjects where we have had to pass all components

Advertisement