Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Almera Grinding noise...?

Options
  • 12-12-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

hey guys,

just bought a 98 nissan almera S hatchback. Lovely car, got a great deal. Only thing wrong with it, is that when in first and second gear, and slightly in third, there is a growling noise coming from the car.

I'm not sure what it is, one of my motor-savvy friends reckons that a bearing is on the way out in the gearbox (or something to that effect) but my brother (who is also motor-savvy) is unable to pinpoint the problem. He's not sure if its a bearing, the gearbox, the clutch etc.

there is no growl in 4th, 5th, or reverse.

Anyone had any similar problems? or know what the solution could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

i have the same car..last year my clutch went in the middle of a journey..clutch plate started to disintigrate and fly around the engine. sounding like putting marbles in a blender. if i remember correctly it was only in 1-3rd gear that you would really hear the noise. i then started to get clutch slip after a week or too. i was told it was fine to drive until it got too bad to drive safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

well i've had the car nearly a week, and there is a bit of clutch slipping.

sounds bad anyways =/ i'll bring it out to the garage and get it looked at.

thanks for the reply. hopefully that wont happen to me :3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

id say its clutch mine went at 70K miles. got it replaced and its driving perfectly since.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

truedoom wrote: »
    hey guys,

just bought a 98 nissan almera S hatchback. Lovely car, got a great deal. Only thing wrong with it, is that when in first and second gear, and slightly in third, there is a growling noise coming from the car.

I'm not sure what it is, one of my motor-savvy friends reckons that a bearing is on the way out in the gearbox (or something to that effect) but my brother (who is also motor-savvy) is unable to pinpoint the problem. He's not sure if its a bearing, the gearbox, the clutch etc.

there is no growl in 4th, 5th, or reverse.

Anyone had any similar problems? or know what the solution could be?

I really hope you did. But you know hat they they say, if it looks to good to be true...fingers crossed repairs will work out OK

I reckon it's the gearbox, car wasn't a great deal unless it cost less than €50 if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

forgot to reply back to this!

was the gearbox in the end. got a new one and had it put in, now its going, not a bother on it :D

:D

What sort of money was the box?

If your buddy or brother can't diagnose a fecked box they aren't motor savvy too btw.

Advertisement