Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6870..should I crossfire or not?

Options
  • 12-12-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Lads currently I have a 6870 and its working sweet as a nut and the mrs just asked me what do I want for xmas..So im thinking another card to xfire..

The games im playing are fairly intensive(dirt2,crysis,arma2) and was thinking would I notice a big improvement in a crossfire set up with the 6870?

Im currently running a small monitor but have a iiyama ProLite E2607WS-1 on the hit list and should have it in front of me in a few weeks..

TBH im happy enough with the gfx running slightly overclocked as is but if the xfire will make thing look even better I will go for it...

My rig is as follow
    I5 760
    Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
    700watt psu

Also my psu has no more connections to run an extra card as it only has two pci-e 6 pin connectors and the single 6870 uses them both.Is there an adaptor I can get or will I need to replace the psu if I go down te xfire route...

Im only new to this craic so please be gentle:)

Cheers
    Dwighet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

You'd want to get a new PSU, a 700W PSU that only has 2 6Pins is not going to be a great quality unit. Yes there are adapters, but you would need a pair of 2 molex to 6 pin adapters, I really wouldn't recommend it though, the 12V rail might not take the load of another GPU.

Now I'm on a 5850, which is similar in performance to the 6870 and its a great card for most games at full HD and above (I play on 1920x1080, your screen is 1920x1200) about the only things i cant max out are ARMA and Crysis, both can play with acceptable settings at a good frames. For the ultimate detail at high FPS, a second card would be ideal, although its an expensive upgrade considering you would need a new PSU.

Just out of interest, what make/model is your PSU ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Deano12345 wrote: »
    You'd want to get a new PSU, a 700W PSU that only has 2 6Pins is not going to be a great quality unit. Yes there are adapters, but you would need a pair of 2 molex to 6 pin adapters, I really wouldn't recommend it though, the 12V rail might not take the load of another GPU.

Now I'm on a 5850, which is similar in performance to the 6870 and its a great card for most games at full HD and above (I play on 1920x1080, your screen is 1920x1200) about the only things i cant max out are ARMA and Crysis, both can play with acceptable settings at a good frames. For the ultimate detail at high FPS, a second card would be ideal, although its an expensive upgrade considering you would need a new PSU.

Just out of interest, what make/model is your PSU ?

Thanks for the reply...

The psu is a osz mod xsteam pro700watt...It was a quick replacement as the psu I ordered from HWVD lasted all of 15 minutes.It was one of these.
    As you can imagine I was mad to get this rig runnnig and all my options on a same day pick up here in Eire for a new psu was the ocz which I collected in Cellbridge/Kildare.which is getting the job done for now until I hear back from Germany about a refund on the faulty psu I received...

With the refund or store credit I get should I go for something in 800-850 watt for the xfire? Maybe corsair?

What are your thoughts?

Thnxs
    Dwighet

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Don't even think about going multi-GPU on that PSU, its low-end Sirtec trash that's barely any better than that Casing Macron PoS you blew at the start! :eek::o

EDIT - OCZ are selling that as a 700W unit but from what I've seen Sirtec say its based on a unit they only rate for 500W! :o

Those ModXStreams are terrible alright, i think it may have been JG who did a review on one, I seen the insides of that model and ran a mile.

A good 600W PSU would be fine, what sites do you buy off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Those ModXStreams are terrible alright, i think it may have been JG who did a review on one, I seen the insides of that model and ran a mile.

A good 600W PSU would be fine, what sites do you buy off ?
    Im not having much luck hey!!
    Live and learn..:o

I will be placing an order with hwvs next week. will this psu do the job for 2 cards.

• Advertisement

Yeah, they are an excellent unit, CWT internals IIRC (not that im biased or anything ! )

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I think the HX series are mostly Seasonic units? Very expensive but very good indeed :cool:

Solitaire wrote: »
    I think the HX series are mostly Seasonic units? Very expensive but very good indeed :cool:

Most of them are, the HX750 and HX850 are CWT though. Both great platforms

Advertisement