Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New site - Retrocollect - For PAL collectors! *gasp*

• 12-12-2010 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

Thought I'd try to help these guys out with some coverage as it relates to us. They're trying to get a site going for mainly PAL retro games collecting as there's a real shortage of it online.

http://www.retrocollect.com/

And before Retr0 comes in telling us the error of our PAL ways, STFU! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Thought I'd try to help these guys out with some coverage as it relates to us. They're trying to get a site going for mainly PAL retro games collecting as there's a real shortage of it online.

http://www.retrocollect.com/

And before Retr0 comes in telling us the error of our PAL ways, STFU! :D

I've no prob with PAL, as long as it's in 60hz :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Deadly! Thanks for the link dude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    I've no prob with PAL, as long as it's in 60hz :D

Well that's it exactly. Once 50/60hz isn't software based like the Saturn, it's all just down to which packaging you rather.
    Deadly! Thanks for the link dude!

No problem. Now start posting on their forum! The Irish are coming to overtake it... :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

50/60Hz is actaully harware based on the Saturn. The problem is that Sega actually bothered their arse doing fantastic PAL conversions and in those games in 60 Hz they run faster and are missing some of the screen.

Master of the Universe

Oh yeah, sure you can fit a 50/60hz switch to a Saturn. That was me having a brain fart :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

N64 would make more sense :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cheers for linking that site o1s1n, it's cool. Currently playing that Sonic Megamix hack on the Nomad. :cool:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Oh yeah, sure you can fit a 50/60hz switch to a Saturn. That was me having a brain fart :D

Yup, you had me thinking there...

"What's he on about, I could have sworn I fit 50/60hz switches to my Saturns :confused:"

Turns out I did :D Are you thinking of the PS2?

PAL PS2's support NTSC as well. They just don't support PAL 60. Although some lazy developers didn't bother even giving us 60 Hz let alone a good PAL conversion. Yes Squaresoft I'm looking at you. 9 month wait for FF10 and Kingdom Hearts and you couldn't even do a PAL conversion when there's a tiny homebrew application out there that will give an NTSC game a perfect PAL conversion in 40 minutes isn't acceptable.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PAL PS2's support NTSC as well. They just don't support PAL 60.

Doesn't SOTC (PAL) support 60Hz? The refresh rate is determined by the software in the PS2, not the hardware.

• Advertisement

No, PAL PS2's don't support PAL 60 at all. There was a big outcry about it when Devil May Cry came out and the PAL conversion was atrocious. Sony eventually allowed developers to use NTSC mode with games. Dreamcast fans had a small moment in the sun when they pointed out that their doomed console was better than the PS2 because it had PAL 60 and almost every game suppurted it. I know this well because I used to have a TV that supported PAL 60 but not NTSC. I could play GC and Xbox games in 60Hz fine but PS2 games were all in Black and White in 60Hz until I gotrid of that ****ty black diamond and got a philips. So 60Hz mode in PAL games is an NTSC mode not PAL 60.

So 60Hz mode in PAL games is an NTSC mode not PAL 60.

I get you, I thought you meant purely the refresh rate. So if your tv doesn't support NTSC, you can't play PS2 @ 60hz? Ya gotta love Sony :D They're the only manufacturer I know that remove features, & call it an upgrade.

I get you, I thought you meant purely the refresh rate. So if your tv doesn't support NTSC, you can't play PS2 @ 60hz?

You can but it black and white while possibly damaging your TV!
    Ya gotta love Sony :D They're the only manufacturer I know that remove features, & call it an upgrade.

What really annoyed me about the PS2 was just how backwards it was. The industry was moving towards multiplayer games and all consoles had 4 controller ports as standard. Ps2 had 2 and needed a multitap meaning we never used it for multiplayer. On board storage on console? Nope, back to memory cards despite early 90's consoles having on board storage. And of course no PAL 60 Hz despite the Dreamcast supporting it and giving us flawless PAL conversions.

Hey at least it supported component and could do 1080i in GT4 and Enter the Matrix (as if you wanted to play that game!).

You can but it black and white while possibly damaging your TV!

What really annoyed me about the PS2 was just how backwards it was. The industry was moving towards multiplayer games and all consoles had 4 controller ports as standard. Ps2 had 2 and needed a multitap meaning we never used it for multiplayer. On board storage on console? Nope, back to memory cards despite early 90's consoles having on board storage. And of course no PAL 60 Hz despite the Dreamcast supporting it and giving us flawless PAL conversions.

Hey at least it supported component and could do 1080i in GT4 and Enter the Matrix (as if you wanted to play that game!).

I hear they're going back to carts for the PS4, and a casette deck for the PS4's upgrade. Who knows, we may even see Gran Turismo 6 on floppy's :cool: Ah yes, Sony - making progress through history :rolleyes:

They filed a patent recently for a PS3 add on that adds an extra processor to boost it's speed. It probably won't go anywhere but it could be 32X part deux!

Master of the Universe

So if your tv doesn't support NTSC, you can't play PS2 @ 60hz?

You can if you do it via RGB. I know I do anyway with any PAL ps2 games that have a 60hz option.

Or did I totally pick this conversation up wrong? (I'll blame my tiny boards.ie window in the corner of the screen at work!)

They filed a patent recently for a PS3 add on that adds an extra processor to boost it's speed. It probably won't go anywhere but it could be 32X part deux!

I already called it the PS32X :cool::rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Cauterize

Hi guys, Cauterize of RetroCollect here. Just wanted to give a massive thanks for the feedback and great response over here to our website. We've seen a few familiar usernames from this thread and the rest of you are very welcome to come join the fun.

We're always aiming to make the site accessible to all retro gamers as we constantly add new functionality and features to the site. Which leads me onto my 'cut and paste' update I'm posting across a few websites, hopefully one you guys can make use of :)

Time for a quick update from Team RetroCollect

online-retro-game-collection-tracking-at-retrocollect.jpg

Update - 2nd January 2011: Online Collection Tracking

As RetroCollect's community continues to grow, so does the site and the features on offer. As of now, the Rarity Guide & Release List has been updated to allow every user to log in and create their own collection lists and track their retro game collections.

For example, here is my own list, featuring my humble collection of Commodore Amiga CD32 games and some of the Pokemon Mini games I have collected. Another good example is GMass's fantastic collection of Sega Dreamcast games.

All you need is an account on RetroCollect and you're set to start tracking your collection. Once logged in, the database will start to display small buttons to 'add' games too your collection, or you can hover over the 'Got' button and click Delete to remove them. Every user profile will now feature a 'View My Collection' button so you view other collections and share your collection lists online.

So head on over and register if you haven't already, to start tracking your retro game collection online. - http://www.retrocollect.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

That's a really nice feature, being able to keep a list of your games. I've been meaning to do that myself just so I know what I have. I'll check out the site now :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Having a go at filling in my collection, I think it may take some time!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Great idea! going to do this myself.

Started with the 32X to break myself in :D Now going to try to tackle the Megadrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I did my megadrive one from memory, I was too lazy to check the drawers

about 180 i think on first count, not too bad, not yet good enough though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was too lazy to check the drawers

I too hate checking my drawers, makes me weep sometimes, the wife has been at me to change them, but they have "personality" now, we've been through so much together....

Oh wait, you meant the other kind of drawers....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

When I said my collection was close to me, I dont think you knew how close I was talking about!

Time to revive this thread!

You may well be seeing RetroCollect again over the next few days as an interview with the site's founders is set to feature within the first few pages of the new Retro Gamer Magazine set to hit the shops this week. Issue 86 to be precise, keep an eye out for a page titled 'Getting Pally' just seven pages in (not including the cover) as we discuss the website in detail and our aims for preserving retro games. We won't spoil it for you, but here is a sneak peak!

However I admit this isn't the only reason I'm reviving this thread, we have yet another bit of functionality to offer our users!

Custom Game Collection Tracking Banners

For those who have already made a start tracking their retro game collection over at RetroCollect, will be pleased to know they can now share their collection online via our custom dynamic image banner. For those new to the collection tracking service we offer, take a look here at what's on offer.

Built with forum signatures in mind, this banner displays your RetroCollect user name along with a tally of your current count of games owned. As it is completely dynamic, anytime you update your collection it will also update the image too. As an example, take a look at the signature attached to this very message to get an idea on how your signature will look.

The banner can be hosted anywhere you wish as we have supplied both the code for forum posts/signatures and the html code for your blogs and websites.

So, in order to get your collection banner, head over to this link below to get the code you need to show off your collection of retro games:

Link: Embed Your Own Collection Tracking Banner

Let me know if you need any help! We look forward to you sporting your new banners! :D

mycollection-65.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

nice one , will give it a try
    (and hello! I'm the chap who bought a few SMS games from a little while a go , I still haven't finished R-type or rastan yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Well I've run into a problem on Retrocollect as Pokemon Silver on Gameboy is not on any list, this is only the third game I've tried to put in so it doesn't bode well for some of the other games I have

Edit: Doesn't have Megaman on Gameboy either...............
    Edit again: this is ludacris every single game I've tried to put in bar about 3 have not been on the list including super mario advance 1 to 4 and mario kart advance, Lemmings for Gameboy the list goes on so I'm officially ending my relationship and going back to the old pen and paper list which I know works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I've noticed some holes as well, which isn't that big of a deal, but what I find strange is the absence of the Playstation, seeing as it has the Saturn, N64, even the Dreamcast and Gamecube

EDIT: it does have Pokemon Silver and Mega Man for GB, as well as the mario advance and mario kart advance games (just search the GBA games for 'mario'). Lemmings for GB is there as well :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I noticed one or two missing games myself , best thing is to let them know on the forum and get them added that way.

• Advertisement

Hmm... bit of an over sight there since it's nearly impossible to include ever game released in PAL territories on every computer without missing some. Think I'll stick to backloggery especially with all the imports I have. Also their live streams are great.

Master of the Universe

It's a great idea but a colossal undertaking if you have a lot of games. I gave up after about 250 or so. Have been meaning to get back to it ever since.

pdbhp wrote: »
    Well I've run into a problem on Retrocollect as Pokemon Silver on Gameboy is not on any list, this is only the third game I've tried to put in so it doesn't bode well for some of the other games I have

Edit: Doesn't have Megaman on Gameboy either...............
    Edit again: this is ludacris every single game I've tried to put in bar about 3 have not been on the list including super mario advance 1 to 4 and mario kart advance, Lemmings for Gameboy the list goes on so I'm officially ending my relationship and going back to the old pen and paper list which I know works

Mario Advance games: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/searchresults.html?gamename=mario+advance

Mega Man Game Boy games: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/searchresults.html?gamename=mega+man&platform=17

Lemmings on Game Boy:
    http://www.retrocollect.com/search/game-1695.html

Pokemon Silver:
    http://www.retrocollect.com/search/game-3203.html

It all works ;) Feel free to get in touch if you need any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Cauterize wrote: »

Good man, I was getting too specific with the titles and thats what stalled me, once I was more generic I had no problems.

Also the moderation on the site is excellent and very prompt and really helpful

Advertisement