Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

building your own

• 12-12-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

gentlemen,

seen it on here a few times that much cheaper to buy from shop rather than build yourself

anyway I want to put this to the test so going to do some ebaying for parts

next question

what do I need
    frame
    wheels+axles
    group set
    saddle
    handlebars

question for those working with racing bikes, are all frames etc the same size, say will any shimano axle fit, will any saddle post fit etc are are they all different sizes are some 25mm are some 30mm etc

anyone done this before and want to share the results

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yes, it will be more expensive to build it yourself, unless you get bargain parts.

The easiest option is to get a frame, full groupset, wheels and finishing kit. Different frame will have different seat tube diameters, so you will need to check what the seat post diameter is and get the correct one.

You will need to buy tools to assemble the bike, depending on the type of frame you choose. I'd suggest picking out a frame, groupset and parts, then post up here. People will be able to spot any incompatible parts and recommend tools.

Merlin are good for groupsets - http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Road+Parts/Transmission/Groupsets+-+Road+Bike/list.htm
    Chainreactioncycles have frames. Some smaller frame manufacturers are PlanetX, Surly, Cotic

There's a big list of shops in the cycling wiki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Buy your frame first. Different makes and models have different geometries so you'll have to do a bit of research on each frame that you look at to find out if it is suitably sized and shaped. Try to buy one with a fork already fitted to save yourself the extra hassle. Your seatpost will have to be suitably sized to fit in the seattube on the frame. Unless you'll be buying a fairly small frame then 700C wheels should fit. Get a complete groupset to avoid making errors with mixing and matching your components.

Beaten to it. Dammitt!!!

aidanki wrote: »
    anyone done this before and want to share the results
    My bike build here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

guesed about the seat post variations

seems frount forks are the same?

how about axle lengths and diameters do these have to be matched to frames or are they generic these days

wheels then have to be matched to axles it seems

and handlebars to frount forks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

guesed about the seat post variations

seems frount forks are the same?

Rake can be different.
    how about axle lengths and diameters do these have to be matched to frames or are they generic these days
    Standard, unless it's a track frame.
    wheels then have to be matched to axles it seems

I'd just buy a complete wheel, rather than self build. If you want to build your own wheels, that's somewhat more involved, I don't know much about it, but plenty on here do.
    and handlebars to frount forks

No, depends on the stem.

• Advertisement

A set of skewers will probably come with whatever wheelset you buy. If they don't just buy road skewers or mtb skewers depending on what your intended build is. They should meet the standard size.

The fork will have to be suitable for the frame but you really ought to buy a frame with the fork already installed.

Beaten to it again. Double Dammitt!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The point of building your own bike is not that it's cheaper, it's that you can choose precisely the components you want, based on experience.

References to saddle posts and axles and questions about whether "all frames are the same size" sort of indicates that you have no idea what you're doing.

So I think this is a bit of a nonsensical mission. Still, good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

Lumen wrote: »
    The point of building your own bike is not that it's cheaper, it's that you can choose precisely the components you want, based on experience.

References to saddle posts and axles and questions about whether "all frames are the same size" sort of indicates that you have no idea what you're doing.

plenty experience ripping repairing bikes etc. assembling a bike is childsplay never been too near racing bikes so don't know too much about frame details etc

re frames the same size I was enquiring about saddle post holes axles widths etc rather than 52cm 59cm frames

point of the thread see whats out there and what the probability of getting everything compatible first time if was to go ordering stuff on line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

It seems you haven't done any research whatsoever. If you had looked at buying a frame online you would see they come in different sizes.

re frames the same size I was enquiring about saddle post holes axles widths etc rather than 52cm 59cm frames
    I can make no sense of this.
    point of the thread see whats out there and what the probability of getting everything compatible first time if was to go ordering stuff on line
    100% if you put thought into what you're ordering. Go do some proper research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

Lumen wrote: »

As above. You only have to have a quick look on any of the Irish bike shop websites to see that its much better value to buy a complete bike than doing a build. A new groupset may cost as much as a relativly good starter bike. It all depends what you want.
    The bottom line is that there is no point in setting out to get the cheapest parts you can just to come in under a certain price target. You will end up with a ball of shi#e that you could have bought complete for half the price.

Buy a bike. Take it apart. You should then have all the compatible components needed for your bike build. Problem solved. This thread can be closed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Some other areas/components that you have to take into account when buying components as the dimensions (and, in come cases, the type) of these can vary from one frame to another:

* The headset - threaded/threadless/etc. (determined by frame).
    * The bottom bracket - BSA thread/Italian thread/etc. (determined by frame).
    * The front derailleur - braze-on/band-on (determined by frame).
    * The stem steerer dimensions (determined by steering column on forks).

You should decide on your frame first and then buy components to match, otherwise you may end up with some parts that won't work/fit on whatever frame you buy. Similarly, only when you know what parts you will be dealing with will you be able to ensure that you have appropriate tools for all of the work involved.

Advertisement